Sponsored

Is FordPass Rewards Visa Card worth getting before purchase of Maverick???

bradFORD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do all of my maintenance especially oil changes, air filters, fluid levels and tire rotations in my shop. Of course, if I can get done free with points then why do it at home. I wish FORD offered free oil changes for at least the first year. Don't know how hard is it going to be to change oil in this truck??? Some have panels that you remove before accessing drain plug and filter. At least I know that I will need to lift the vehicle before crawling underneath it.
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wally world does a full synthetic with pennzoil platinum for under 50 bucks. Cheaper than I can do it with the same oil. Just keep a close eye on them.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Our local dealer charges $40 for full synthetic oil and filter change. Once in a while the dealer runs specials 3 oil changes for $100!

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looking at the rewards credit card I can't say I'm very impressed.
You get 1$ for every 20 points you spend.
It's very similar to my Amazon card, except that gives me cash back.
I might get this card to use exclusively at the Ford dealer and then use points to reduce the cost of maintenance. But there are other cards that are more efficient to use anywhere else.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not a really very good card at all, even planning to use it for a maverick purchase, the rewards structure is too restricted and not structured very coherently. Better off with any number of cashback cards out there today.

Sponsored

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Oil changes at home take twenty minutes tops. Usually ten. Can't see wasting time letting someone else do it.

Hopefully the oil filter isn't the PITA braille situation like my Honda Accord!

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looking at the rewards credit card I can't say I'm very impressed.
You get 1$ for every 20 points you spend.
It's very similar to my Amazon card, except that gives me cash back.
I might get this card to use exclusively at the Ford dealer and then use points to reduce the cost of maintenance. But there are other cards that are more efficient to use anywhere else.
Doesn't seem to be worth it for The FordPass Visa Card but joining the FordPass Rewards program is free and looks just as good:

FordPass Rewards:

https://www.finninford.com/fordpass...ass Rewards,services or new vehicle purchases.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone here remember the 5% Ford Mastercard Rebate card from the 90's.

You could earn up to $700 in rebates annually that could be applied to a new Ford purchase.

The company that I worked for reimbursed me for my business purchases (Airfare, Hotels, meals, other business purchases) and annually I was able to put $14,000 on the card so that I maxed out the $700 annual rebate reward. The card was paid off entirely each month so no interest was ever paid. Did this for five years and earned $3536 over that time. The $36 additional was for some special bonus purchase.

I used $700 of the rebate on the wife's Taurus purchase and the $2836 was on a 1998 Ranger XLT SuperCab purchase.

The rebate on the 1998 Ranger XLT SuperCab was especially great as I was able to combine the $2836 Ford MC rebate along with a $1000 Ford rebate + a $500 "you own a car" rebate for a combined $4328 in rebates.

I was able to custom order the 1998 Ranger XLT SuperCab with the exact options I wanted and got it for $110 over invoice price with only a $200 Hard Drop-in bedliner as a dealer add-on. The MSRP on the window decal showed that the Ranger's MSRP with the options I ordered was $20,270. I walked out the door fully paying only $15,066 in cash (no trade-in). That number included all fees (TT&L) Doc fee and Inventory tax.

Needless to say Ford modified the program to become useless right after my Ranger purchase (I believe it became a 1% card and limited it to $200 annually) so I canceled it as other cards would earn more.

I wonder if there were a number of us who earned the $700 annually and never paid interest doomed the program.

Last edited:

cucumber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Outback
Interestingly, I was just researching this exact topic last night. I came across this article that someone wrote on another Ford thread. Note that it's from last year, so it may not be completely accurate. Someone went ahead and did the math for the rewards and current rebate incentives.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...d-cashback-strategies-for-mach-e-buyers.1201/

Essentially, their conclusion was as follows:
If you qualify for all cash back incentives in the first year: 7.6% cash back
Every year afterwards: 4.3% cash back

Note that the person above took a few different things into account, such as using the card to help pay for a new vehicle. While Ford's cash back incentives are the same ($3k in first 3 months and $6k in first year), I'm not sure if you'd get more or less FordPass points. However, the above math is a good place to start and "eyeball" what you might get.

I definitely plan to get it and use it for Ford purchases and maintenance, if not gas and other qualifying purchases. If I can get it within 3 months of my Mav purchase (which may be tricky if delivery times get delayed repeatedly), I'll use it for my initial down payment to help qualify for those cash back rewards.

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In no way is this credit card a good deal when other cards like chase sapphire preferred are doing 100k signup bonuses.

But don't leave any points on the table and do sign up for ford pass rewards; just get a better credit card, if you're going to sign up for a new one

Sponsored

cucumber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Outback
In no way is this credit card a good deal when other cards like chase sapphire preferred are doing 100k signup bonuses.

But don't leave any points on the table and do sign up for ford pass rewards; just get a better credit card, if you're going to sign up for a new one
I could see chase Sapphire preferred being great if you travel and eat out a lot. As someone who doesn't, though, I think I personally will get more benefit from the Ford Visa. The beautiful thing about that is there's a credit card out there for just about everyone.

Bronco_joe

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I signed up for one this year before I bought my bronco. I recieved $300 in statement credit this year for spending $3,000. The card was used for my down payment, plus recieved 30,000 points. 3% back on gas. Otherwise not much more offered from the card.

cucumber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Outback
I signed up for one this year before I bought my bronco. I recieved $300 in statement credit this year for spending $3,000. The card was used for my down payment, plus recieved 30,000 points. 3% back on gas. Otherwise not much more offered from the card.
I think the best way to use the card is probably to spend enough to qualify for those cash back incentives, especially on service and dealership parts/accessories to qualify for 10% back and 5% back respectively. Hell, even 3% on gas and tolls isn't bad in my opinion, if I needed a little extra to qualify. After hitting that $6,000 limit, I'd bet that other cards will be much more competitive.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does buying a truck count as a ford dealership purchase? So if you put $6k truck downpayment on the card, would you get 5% back?

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does buying a truck count as a ford dealership purchase? So if you put $6k truck downpayment on the card, would you get 5% back?
I would like to know the same. I have the cash to fully pay for my Maverick but if I could put some or all on the FordPass Visa and earn 5% back in rewards while paying off the FordPass Visa in full so no interest is paid would be great.
Sponsored