Sponsored

Is Ford actually 3D printing 'All' of the FITS Accessories?

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It may sound like a weird question, but hear me out:

While 3d Printing is fun and super-useful for that unusual one-off piece, it is not yet ready to take over for something that is easily mass produced. Injection molded parts are still the way to go on plastic parts, yet every picture I've see of the FITS parts look like they're 3D printed.

I would have assumed that Ford would show off some 3D printed items as a 'proof' of concept, but then manufacture their official accessories using standard processes.

All of the pics on the official accessories page are way too rough and unpolished to be final.
https://accessories.ford.com/ford-integrated-tether-system-fits-package.html#2022/Maverick

Example: The Trashcan: you can see all the layers and lines that are typical in 3d printed products.
View attachment 9505

Cable Organizer:
Ford Maverick Is Ford actually 3D printing 'All' of the FITS Accessories? 1632928802844

Also, 3D printed parts are SLOW to make. I can't imagine that its efficient and cost effective to print these on demand.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are almost certainly looking at 3D printed demos. Considering there's still stuff that has zero pictures at all, that's not too shocking.

OP
OP
Dallas Maverick

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not sure, but they really should have put some of these slots in the bed. Seems like they could have been really useful for various storage/hanging apparatuses.
Agreed.
I've also heard people say there was a lost opportunity to include them in the front as well. A strategically placed one here would be more beneficial for a trash can.

Two slots here could have worked.
Ford Maverick Is Ford actually 3D printing 'All' of the FITS Accessories? 1632930116837

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agreed.
I've also heard people say there was a lost opportunity to include them in the front as well. A strategically placed one here would be more beneficial for a trash can.

1632930116837.png
Yeah! Glove compartment and center console, too.

Sponsored

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agreed.

1632930116837.png
Looks like a prime opportunity for a passenger to rip those flimsy tabs apart with their leg to me. But I'm a generally clumsy person myself so that's how I see the world.

OP
OP
Dallas Maverick

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not sure, but they really should have put some of these slots in the bed. Seems like they could have been really useful for various storage/hanging apparatuses.
So, I'm gonna 3D print a slot that will fit in the bedrails, and then I can use my accessories back there!

Looks like a prime opportunity for a passenger to rip those flimsy tabs apart with their leg to me. But I'm a generally clumsy person myself so that's how I see the world.
I appreciate your position. I think the one in the back center console is in just as much danger of being broken too, especially if you have someone trying to sit in the middle of the back seat.

What ford is doing here is giving us options to build and customize the vehicle any way that we want to best serve our needs. Do you have to use it? no, but you would have the option to do so. 9 times out of 10, I'm in my car by myself. I would rather have things that are convenient located for me as the driver. On those occasions when someone is going to ride with me, I can remove whatever accessory is there and store it somewhere else.

Also, the trashcan is just an example. It would be just as convenient to be able to have the bag hooks up there.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I dont quite know why you would need FIT slots in the storage under the seats, assuming most folks would just dump a gym or travel bag in there and call it good.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also, the trashcan is just an example. It would be just as convenient to be able to have the bag hooks up there.
Or a slim slot for the passenger's phone. Leaves me with the rest of my storage space!

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Is Ford actually 3D printing 'All' of the FITS Accessories? {filename}
My '92 Jeep Cherokee had a cupholder which slotted in that exact location, because cupholders were an afterthought to Jeep.
Every passenger hit that cupholder with his/her knee and knocked it off every time, without fail.
Always fun when I had a cup of hot coffee in the cupholder.

Other than that I like your idea.

Sponsored

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are almost certainly looking at 3D printed demos. Considering there's still stuff that has zero pictures at all, that's not too shocking.
I'm not so sure about this since the Ford Accessories site uses images of those 3D printed items for the product. I really hope that they're not, since they don't look as clean.

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It may sound like a weird question, but hear me out:

While 3d Printing is fun and super-useful for that unusual one-off piece, it is not yet ready to take over for something that is easily mass produced. Injection molded parts are still the way to go on plastic parts, yet every picture I've see of the FITS parts look like they're 3D printed.

I would have assumed that Ford would show off some 3D printed items as a 'proof' of concept, but then manufacture their official accessories using standard processes.

All of the pics on the official accessories page are way too rough and unpolished to be final.
https://accessories.ford.com/ford-integrated-tether-system-fits-package.html#2022/Maverick

Example: The Trashcan: you can see all the layers and lines that are typical in 3d printed products.
View attachment 9505

Cable Organizer:
Ford Maverick Is Ford actually 3D printing 'All' of the FITS Accessories? {filename}

Also, 3D printed parts are SLOW to make. I can't imagine that its efficient and cost effective to print these on demand.

Thoughts?
Those pictured items are 3D printed

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I want an arm that fits into the read center slot that can hold one of those Halloween Ghost projectors and use the wall plug below it to plug in.. Imagine driving down the road with the window ghost moving about the rear window as you drive. Probably illegal, but would be cool.

bringjustn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cruze, 22 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I want an arm that fits into the read center slot that can hold one of those Halloween Ghost projectors and use the wall plug below it to plug in.. Imagine driving down the road with the window ghost moving about the rear window as you drive. Probably illegal, but would be cool.
Officer, I'm not driving in the HOV lane by myself , there's a ghost in here.

adawalli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2010 Toyota Prius 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
they definitely won't be shipping 3d printed parts - injection molded only. I will bet @Gabbydad 's new maverick on it
Sponsored