Sponsored

Is Ford actually 3D printing 'All' of the FITS Accessories?

mdcasa

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 FWD 2.0 EcoBoost
Looking at the images on this page
https://jalopnik.com/here-are-some-of-the-things-you-can-do-with-the-ford-ma-1847449277
.most items will be too large for the average 3D Printer to print at full size. I don't think my Ender 3 could handle that divider or that large trash can. Not unless I print it in pieces and glue together. It's still a pretty cool idea. My son asked for an iPhone holder for the back so I'm printing that now. I hope it works.
Sponsored

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe they added the lines (texture) to their molds to simulate the 3D -printed look.

Sounds crazy, but I've seen fake Damascus steel knives, laser etched for the "look"

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

adawalli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2010 Toyota Prius 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The underseat bin is somewhere about 9-10" wide so the dividers should fit on an Ender 3 bed diagonally at least.
don't bed shame him

mdcasa

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 FWD 2.0 EcoBoost
The underseat bin is somewhere about 9-10" wide so the dividers should fit on an Ender 3 bed diagonally at least.
Oh, you know I just assumed that. I'll have to try it. :)

Sponsored

Bootstrap6

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda 3 Hothatch Grand Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Im going to 3D print a GoPro mount to fit in the rear FIT slot so I can film myself as I set my record lap times in my maverick hybrid.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
don't bed shame him
Hah. Likely they have more usable bed area since the modded abomination my Ender has been upgraded to loses some Y- and Z-axis. With a BMG (clone) direct extruder, dragon hotend, and dual 5150 cooling fans it's a real big chungus print head.

tateconcepts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Subaru Forrester Sport
It may sound like a weird question, but hear me out:

While 3d Printing is fun and super-useful for that unusual one-off piece, it is not yet ready to take over for something that is easily mass produced. Injection molded parts are still the way to go on plastic parts, yet every picture I've see of the FITS parts look like they're 3D printed.

I would have assumed that Ford would show off some 3D printed items as a 'proof' of concept, but then manufacture their official accessories using standard processes.

All of the pics on the official accessories page are way too rough and unpolished to be final.
https://accessories.ford.com/ford-integrated-tether-system-fits-package.html#2022/Maverick

Example: The Trashcan: you can see all the layers and lines that are typical in 3d printed products.
View attachment 9505

Cable Organizer:
1632928802844.png

Also, 3D printed parts are SLOW to make. I can't imagine that its efficient and cost effective to print these on demand.

Thoughts?
Hmm, I've done a decent amount of printing for about half a decade now. I have made some interesting items in everything from automotive, to healthcare to outdoors to kitchen items. The first in the type of printer you are working with, not all are simple cartesian type printers and not all use standard PLA filaments. You are correct that molded injection still accounts for most production runs but TBH, 3D printing has come a long way. Marine units carry these now in the field to repair almost everything. Students build all sorts of things with them and I can even print my rifle cartridges from better quality units too and don't need to resize brass. There's a lot to add here but we need better slots, this is the back seat and is quite low.

ToothGrinder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I dont quite know why you would need FIT slots in the storage under the seats, assuming most folks would just dump a gym or travel bag in there and call it good.
FITS gun holster, so ya jammie ain't bouncin' all crazy

Pogeegitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Expedition Max XLT, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, I'm gonna 3D print a slot that will fit in the bedrails, and then I can use my accessories back there!

I appreciate your position. I think the one in the back center console is in just as much danger of being broken too, especially if you have someone trying to sit in the middle of the back seat.

What ford is doing here is giving us options to build and customize the vehicle any way that we want to best serve our needs. Do you have to use it? no, but you would have the option to do so. 9 times out of 10, I'm in my car by myself. I would rather have things that are convenient located for me as the driver. On those occasions when someone is going to ride with me, I can remove whatever accessory is there and store it somewhere else.

Also, the trashcan is just an example. It would be just as convenient to be able to have the bag hooks up there.
I'm with you there. I'd like to print a few to fit the bedrails too, especially if/when I get a cap. I'd like to have a trash bag holder, as well as some bungy chord holders, etc. I think there's a lot more possibilities, and can't wait to see what people come up with.

Sponsored

TarpDogg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just took delivery of my Hybrid on Friday and received the free FITS accessory kit. Can confirm that NONE of the items were 3D printed. Received a trash can, cup holders, dividers for the underseat area, a cord holder in the shape of the Ford Oval and something else that escapes me at the moment. I'll try to take a picture if I remember later. I teach 3D design and printing and the tether system looks pretty useful if applied to other areas of the truck. My kids already kicked the cup holders out of the middle slot in the back about a dozen times, so I don't know how useful it's going to be in the long run. Saw a great 3D model for using the cubby space to add a drawer with a FITS slot on it, that might be useful.

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure, but they really should have put some of these slots in the bed. Seems like they could have been really useful for various storage/hanging apparatuses.
They probably didn't out of liability, because the bed is outside of the vehicle. Let's be honest, 3D printed parts are mostly toys until you get into exotic ones that can sinter metal. All it would take is for someone to try and tie down a fridge with some PLA brackets at 30% infill.

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford definitely couldn't 3D print the mass produced parts. If they wanted to be cute, they could just do a really lousy job rough-cutting the molds, so that the injection molded parts "look" 3D printed with layer lines, for some kind of cool-factor.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They probably didn't out of liability, because the bed is outside of the vehicle. Let's be honest, 3D printed parts are mostly toys until you get into exotic ones that can sinter metal. All it would take is for someone to try and tie down a fridge with some PLA brackets at 30% infill.
I wouldn't say its just toys. We 3d print stuff at work for business sometimes. Cases and hooks and rack mountable stuff.

But yah, if you want to do anything with weight no consumer grade printable material is going to cut it. I've seen people re-enforce 3d prints with metal for that kind of thing, but at that point you're just printing window dressing.

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost