Sponsored

Installing steering wheel cover on Heated Steering Wheel (of XLT Lux Package)?

sdr.speng

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've ordered the XLT Maverick trim with the Luxury Package that comes with the Heated Steering - anyone have any experience with installing an after market steering wheel cover over the heated steering wheel?

Would/does this damage the heated steering wheel? If installed, will the heat transfer through the installed cover? Are there any covers especially designed for heated steering wheels?
Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
I've ordered the XLT Maverick trim with the Luxury Package that comes with the Heated Steering - anyone have any experience with installing an after market steering wheel cover over the heated steering wheel?

Would/does this damage the heated steering wheel? If installed, will the heat transfer through the installed cover? Are there any covers especially designed for heated steering wheels?
Yes, depends, yes

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Agree with @Rkbrumbelow. As he said it depends on the material you choose to put on it. You have to remember it gets warm, so rubbers and plastic may have issues. I assume the wheel is leather wrapped. N-ot sure why you would want to re-wrap it. You also have to remember that by putting a cover over it it will take awhile for the heat to transfer to the new layer and you may not notice the heat very well. Typically the heated steering wheels are on a timer as a protection from over heating. So you'll need to be careful.

j1truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EGolf
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you want to switch with me? I'll get the normal non-leather wrapped steering wheel and would love to get leather steer wheel. =)

Sponsored

Sneezy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes S500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What I did, since I’m self employed and bought mine as a work truck, is buy a steering wheel wrap instead of a cover. It’s essentially just another piece of leather that wraps around and is sewn in place to completely cover the steering wheel. Much thinner than those covers sold at auto parts stores and shouldn’t have any problems with the heated steering wheel, which is an option my truck will have as well

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XRL8JYN?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Twag

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick FX4 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What I did, since I’m self employed and bought mine as a work truck, is buy a steering wheel wrap instead of a cover. It’s essentially just another piece of leather that wraps around and is sewn in place to completely cover the steering wheel. Much thinner than those covers sold at auto parts stores and shouldn’t have any problems with the heated steering wheel, which is an option my truck will have as well

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XRL8JYN?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
Exactly what I did. I even took the extra time to cross stitch so the install would look as good as possible. Here is a pic.
Ford Maverick Installing steering wheel cover on Heated Steering Wheel (of XLT Lux Package)? 2022 Ford Maverick DIY Leather Steering Wheel Cover

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why not just buy a pair of gloves ?
I Have a pair of knitted gloves I keep in my current car, just for this reason.

Reeder

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I think all steering wheels have basically been classified as leather wrapped for years (well could be vinyl) as if you check older vehicles they were a black hard plastic and would be freezing. I put a padded wheel cover (like memory foam) as I find them warmer in winter and cooler in summer. I didn't even realize I had a heated steering wheel until one day last winter when I used remote start. It was a nice surprise as were the heated seats coming on automatically. Absolutely love my Maverick.

Steveyg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT/ 23 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I have the heated steering wheel on my 22 XLT and got a cloth cover from the Dollar Tree that was easily installed and easily removed to wash with my work clothes. When the elastic broke it was easy to get another couple so I have spares. They protect the wheel from fading due to sun and the inevitable dirty hands. A buck and a quarter now at Dollar Tree instead of a dollar but I recommend you try one and see if it's an acceptable product that meets your needs. Not a lot to lose at $1.25 plus tax.
Sponsored