First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 VW Passat, 2015 Nissan Sentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I took delivery on my Maverick on St. Patrick’s Day, and I love it. I’ve spent some extra cash tricking it out with a tonneau cover, mud flaps, etc.

I also purchased the “official” Ford factory hood deflector shield and installed two nights ago.

Lessons learned to pass along:

1. When pulling the red adhesive tape back prior to the initial install, use some scotch tape to hold back the red tape. I had the misfortune of having one of red tape pieces get tucked under the deflector while making the initial placement on the hood. Reaching under the deflector to retrieve the end of the trap is very tricky at this point.

2. I also quickly learned at this point the plastic shield has sharp edges. See photo below for my cut index finger. Luckily I had some clean paper towels with me to serve as a bandage. Luckily the bleeding wasn’t too bad, and I managed to complete the installation.

Overall I would give myself a B- on the installation. Considering my mistake with the tape and my cut finger it could have turned out much worse.

Hope my experience is helpful….

Ford Maverick Installation of Official Maverick Hood Deflector Shield 4B5F33F7-78B5-4E3D-BD58-FAA31B4B533D

Ford Maverick Installation of Official Maverick Hood Deflector Shield 9B37DB09-C52F-4E88-8E4A-49BEAC71BFDB

Ford Maverick Installation of Official Maverick Hood Deflector Shield 3F28A9AE-9CCF-480A-9095-4CD6FA4D4C38
Sponsored

Last edited:

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the tips, and sorry for you injury.

Looks good. Plan to install mine after I get the ceramic wrap on the front end. Kinda overkill (I know), but already had debris hit the front.

OP
OP
mr mojo risen

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the tips, and sorry for you injury.

Looks good. Plan to install mine after I get the ceramic wrap on the front end. Kinda overkill (I know), but already had debris hit the front.
You’re welcome and thanks for the reply. Since you indicated you’re looking to install the deflector, I’ve attached a few more photos of the installation instructions.

One thing not mentioned in the instructions is that my deflector had a shrink wrap covering on it, to prevent scratches I assume. I pulled the shrink wrap before the installation, and that may have exposed the sharp edges where I cut myself. I also got a minor cut on my left pinky finger I didn’t mention in my OP. Gotta be careful

Ford Maverick Installation of Official Maverick Hood Deflector Shield 7CA161E6-CD2A-41D3-BC46-B9681B5A1942

Ford Maverick Installation of Official Maverick Hood Deflector Shield D189F23D-BA07-4B57-9334-AD707D4560A5

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
What makes this the official deflector? Is it made by Ford?

OP
OP
mr mojo risen

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What makes this the official deflector? Is it made by Ford?
Official in the sense that it’s listed in the Maverick accessories catalog.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mr mojo risen

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

GreenLady

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250 Diesel, 1968 Cadillac Eldorado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I took delivery on my Maverick on St. Patrick’s Day, and I love it. I’ve spent some extra cash tricking it out with a tonneau cover, mud flaps, etc.

I also purchased the “official” Ford factory hood deflector shield and installed two nights ago.

1. When pulling the red adhesive tape back prior to the initial install, use some scotch tape to hold back the red tape. I had the misfortune of having one of red tape pieces get tucked under the deflector while making the initial placement on the hood. Reaching under the deflector to retrieve the end of the trap is very tricky at this point.

2. I also quickly learned at this point the plastic shield has sharp edges. See photo below for my cut index finger. Luckily I had some clean paper towels with me to serve as a bandage. Luckily the bleeding wasn’t too bad, and I managed to complete the installation.

Overall I would give myself a B- on the installation. Considering my mistake with the tape and my cut finger it could have turned out much worse.

4B5F33F7-78B5-4E3D-BD58-FAA31B4B533D.jpeg

9B37DB09-C52F-4E88-8E4A-49BEAC71BFDB.jpeg

3F28A9AE-9CCF-480A-9095-4CD6FA4D4C38.jpeg
Yes, good note about the red tape as it is fun to work with! I had an interesting time installing mine as well but fortunately did not cut my finger! Ouch! I also bought my official Ford deflector from the dealer only mine came sans the Ford logo☹

PeteMaverick

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
My truck came with this too but the dealer doesn't have it yet and is installing later.
Question, if this is held on by tape, what happens to the paint if you ever what to take it off in the future?

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great suggestions. Thanks! Mine has been sitting in the garage until we get some warm days, and I'm looking forward to installing soon.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mr mojo risen

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My truck came with this too but the dealer doesn't have it yet and is installing later.
Question, if this is held on by tape, what happens to the paint if you ever what to take it off in the future?
That’s a great question, and I thought about that after I finished the install lol. Without a doubt removing the deflector later will leave an obvious mark where it used to be.

My 1994 Ranger that I traded in for my Mav had a hood deflector that was attached to the underside of the hood. It actually flared away from the hood without touching it. Back about 2-3 years ago one of the screws came out and I just decided to get rid of it, and after I took it off you couldn’t tell that it had ever been on there.

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

4B5F33F7-78B5-4E3D-BD58-FAA31B4B533D.jpeg

9B37DB09-C52F-4E88-8E4A-49BEAC71BFDB.jpeg

3F28A9AE-9CCF-480A-9095-4CD6FA4D4C38.jpeg
Mine has sharp edges as well. You would have thought the manufacturer would have noticed this.

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is held on with tape. They tell you to use an alcohol package that they give you to get some of the wax off before installing the deflector. They also give you a package of a white gel, you are to spread where the deflector goes. This is to insure the tape holds. I did not use this gel.

I’m sure the deflector will fade as the years go by. I’m sure if you use fishing line, and a hair driver, you will be able to remove the deflector. The paint might now show where the deflector was.

1Guy1Truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That cut looks terrible. How long is the recovery time?

OP
OP
mr mojo risen

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That cut looks terrible. How long is the recovery time?
It was a deep cut, but it’s healing up just fine. Thanks for asking.
Sponsored