g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So first new vehicle, family has always had SUVs and Minivans, but last drive was a Mini Cooper for about half a year and was looking to buy something like a civic (shocker). My goals were cheap and fuel efficient, (and new). Randomly saw an ad for the Maverick and it fit my wants to a T. The fact that it was a pickup was interesting but if it were bigger it would have been a deal breaker.

The first 200 miles was happy with it but not ecstatic. After all taxes and fees came out to 23k so was happy with that. The pep of the Maverick was a nice welcome surprise. These last 50 miles confirmed I made the right choice. Starting to see that fuel efficiency show itself. So all the boxes were checked.

Having a pickup in the city hasn't been an issue like everyone was telling me, probably due to its size. Haven't had an issue with parking, or with passing double parked cars (the maverick seems to be the perfect width for that here), and it's actually been easier to drive in traffic I'm guessing due to people respecting it more than a mini cooper 😅 So that's been a plus too.

I went ahead and written some of my thoughts below. (Blue = slight positive, Green = major positive, Yellow = slight negative, Red = major negative, no color = neutral)

Pickup Bed: Does the job for me, only use of the bed so far is moving pallets around which fit perfectly and snug. Do wish I had the anchor points of the XLT so will have to put those in. Waiting on the tonneau cover to come so I can use it as a trunk for some stuff that didn't fit in the underseat storage because of the battery 😁

Tailgate: This thing sketches me out a bit. When I've gone to step on it it makes a creaking noise and I'm only ~140 lbs.

Area 51 Color: This color has been fun due to it basically being 3 colors in one. My favorite is right before dusk, looks amazing.

Rear Seat Storage: Behind the rear seat you won't be fitting much but you could throw some small stuff back there, the underseat storage is pretty nice. The battery with the hybrid is a killer though, I think it would have been the perfect amount of storage if the other side was unobstructed but it's a sacrifice that's worth it.

Interior Space: Massive. I'm only 5'7" so it's absolutely cavernous for me. Had a coworker who's at least 6 feet by comparison ride with me for about 60 miles and he was comfortable too.

Interior Trim: Horrendous. Noticed when picked up from the dealer it already was a bit dirty but quickly realized it wasn't their fault. Those plastics scuff/scratch for no reason. Had areas that I just lightly brush absolutely steal all the dust from my pants or jacket and it looks incredibly dirty. Even the instrument display for some reason has a huge smudge all of a sudden when I've never had anything even near that area. It's only been 8 days so this thing is delicate inside.

Instrument Cluster Display: The 4.2 inch display seems lacking in information density, assuming the 6.5 inch is better at it. Generally just leave this set on the digital speedometer for quick glances at my speed. I don't actually find much use for EV Coach, it feels like a distraction and since it uses the whole display without showering other info I'd rather have the display on another screen. At the end of the day I think just paying attention to your truck and what it's doing and the power gauge is about the same as using the EV Coach.

Seatbelt reminder: It's a neat little function but also a tiny bit annoying in my day to day driving, as I'm seatbelt conscious myself and it's just another popup to hit ok to clear in addition to the ready to drive popup on the info screen. The warning tones for an unbuckled seatbelt isn't too in your face.

Windshield wipers: No major issues here although I don't know if it's possible to get a quick squirt of fluid, only ever gotten it to do a full spray which feels a bit wasteful but whatever.

Ignition Switch: To be honest I never use Accessory mode and find myself always having the truck fully on since it generally leaves the ICE off anyways. 😅

Remote Start (FordPass) and Climate Control: Remote start has been annoying for me because it just sometimes refuses to work or the delay is long. I think this works best if your truck is very close to you and is on WiFi or very far and you have a decent walk to your truck. Climate control is fine the only gripe I have with it is leaving it on auto at the highest limit at the beginning of the drive isn't good enough when it's cold. The manual does give advice to quickly heat up the cabin and you should follow it on those cold days but would be nice if auto did a better job.

Drive Mode Control:
Normal Mode: So the hybrid Maverick has been great, love the acceleration, love how it feels responsive, find myself much more comfortable driving this than our prior car.
Sport Mode: Normal Mode already felt good but Sport Mode is just pure fun. It's a noticeable performance improvement over Normal Mode, the only problem is it's too much fun and the fuel economy dies.
Eco Mode: Before I got the Maverick I assumed I would have it in this mode 100% of the time. Unfortunately with how good Normal and Sport Modes feel, it feels too sluggish in Eco Mode. I think the only occasion I'd use this mode is on an empty expressway/highway but if there's anyone around I don't like how it feels at all. Relative to the other modes it's a struggle to get going. I was messing around with the modes on the expressway and there was an instance where I was doing ~45 mph tried passing someone and what should have been just about to hit 60 mph and fully clearing the other car in normal mode was actually just hit 50 mph and the edge of the bed still being near his front tires. With another car catching up to me. Not fun and didn't feel safe.

Auto Hold: This is a gimmick if I've ever seen one. I've quickly learned to not use this. If I do it's momentarily to rest my legs but once I know the light is changing will hold the brake and turn it off again. My problem with it is you have to be very very fine with the throttle to deactivate the brakes and not jump forward. I've managed to do it once but since I want to get off the line smoothly and promptly this is a dead feature to me.

Hill Descent Control: Love it, does its job. Fun to let off the pedals and just watch the battery charge and speed stay constant.

Audio System + Android Auto: Audio is fine, not a disappointment and with music being important to me it does the job just fine. Android Auto, great when it's working. The frequency of issues not great. Had times where I had to reconnect the phone, had times where I had to power cycle the actual truck, had times where it just refused to work and had to settle with bluetooth only, had times where android auto itself worked but the controls on the wheel and dashboard for media did not work at all. Finally today, had another moment where it refused to work but rebooting phone, power cycling the truck, nothing fixed it. Had to factory reset the infotainment system. Irritating.

Rear View Camera: Fine, has made parking a cinch. Haven't seen any general issues in clarity or issues with low visibility during night time as others have mentioned. Only issue I had was it being dirty due to salt use recently but that was quickly fixed by wiping it off.

Lane Keeping System: Have only used it in alert mode, doesn't seem to work at all on roads but worked pretty damn good on the expressway.

Blind Spot Information System: I really like having this, when there's moderate traffic it's nice being able to take a very quick glance at the mirrors and having some proximity information to plan lane changes. Not at all useful in very light traffic for obvious reasons and not something to depend on in heavy traffic, but overall still good as a quick tool.

Cross Traffic Alert + Parking Aid: This thing is incredibly annoying while parallel parking. There has been one moment where it did give me new valuable information so it is a benefit but wish it was smarter about when I'm reversing and the direction I'm turning. Works really well when backing out of a spot so it does its job.

Pre-Collision Assist: Got cut off on the way home from the dealership on the interstate, it activated, was good. Someone braked abruptly in front of me today on a normal road, did not activate, was not fun. The distance was more than the 1st situation but the time I had to safely stop was much less so not really happy with that.

Some slightly spirited expressway driving
Ford Maverick Initial Review of Hybrid XL - 250 Miles - 8 days - in New York City IMG_20220110_004627

Some city driving today where I felt in tune with the truck and just drove normally. (Second image has less mpg since I drove a bit hard to get away from some people who were just acting like obstacles on the road.) Definitely can push that number up if you try though, I was really surprised when I saw the summary when I parked it since I was just driving on auto pilot and not trying to maximize or anything of the sorts.
Ford Maverick Initial Review of Hybrid XL - 250 Miles - 8 days - in New York City IMG_20220113_152427
Ford Maverick Initial Review of Hybrid XL - 250 Miles - 8 days - in New York City IMG_20220113_173511

Ford Maverick Initial Review of Hybrid XL - 250 Miles - 8 days - in New York City IMG_20220105_203448

Ford Maverick Initial Review of Hybrid XL - 250 Miles - 8 days - in New York City IMG_20220105_203627

Ford Maverick Initial Review of Hybrid XL - 250 Miles - 8 days - in New York City IMG_20220105_203754

Ford Maverick Initial Review of Hybrid XL - 250 Miles - 8 days - in New York City IMG_20220110_165946

Also saw the first other maverick finally after 8 days. Didn't realize it was also a Maverick at first. Was crossing the street towards it, thought wow that truck looks really small, went to the tailgate to see what it was and saw Maverick. Not sure if it was the distance or that it was shadow black or both but it looked tiny haha.
Sponsored

VetteNZMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great review. I've got a very similar truck building 1/31.
A few questions:
1) After warm up, is the climate control setup OK / holds temp?
2) Your price looks great at $23K OTD - buy local or from on - line dealer offers?
3) Which bed cover are you getting - I have in hand the Ford soft roll up, about $350?
4) Are you doing anything else to bed near term - spray in liner?
5) How does the int and ext lighting seem?

Will be interesting to see how the MPG continues to evolve.

petertuna

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT, F-150, RDX
A few questions:
2) Your price looks great at $23K OTD - buy local or from on - line dealer offers?
3) Which bed cover are you getting - I have in hand the Ford soft roll up, about $350?

XLT hybrid here:
1) all climate control features work great once warmed up, even before coolant temp is at standard operating temp.
3) I got a truxedo pro x15 from tonneau factory outlet for $479.99. Will be receiving it tomorrow and hopefully installing as well. Will post a video review on that.
4) I have a gallon of dupli color roll in bed liner I’ll probably myself sometime soon…
5) headlights are bright and auto high beams work well enough where I haven’t had to ever turn them off. Interior lighting is fine, nothing special. For me, the buttons were VERY stiff to turn on indivisible lights. I didn’t even know they turned on individually until my wife figured it out. It’s fine now, you just gotta give it an extra pound of force, but not the best “feel”.
Hope my input helps!

OP
OP

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A few questions:

I think it's ok. During the cold snap we had, I did eventually ramp down the automatic fan limit from high to low gradually and never felt cold. Today I drove around with climate control on for a bit and eventually ended up turning it off as it got colder outside but only had to turn it back on after I opened the door for a bit.

I ordered from Chapman in PA, so I got 4% under invoice. After everything it came out to be $1k cheaper than theoretical MSRP locally. - $50 for tolls 😉

Getting the Gator SFX Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover for $279, $303.76 after tax. Not needing anything too good/fancy for my use case, the quick removal is good because I do need the full length of the bed. Also I think could have gotten it for cheaper apparently if you go to certain sites and use the live chat to order instead of doing it normally.

I'm still debating the bed liner, I have the drop in bed liner on backorder. The truck is semi-protected from the elements and I'm not too worried about rust. The heaviest use the bed is gonna get is moving around pallets but that's about a once or twice a week thing and not long distances so for now throwing a carpet in there lol. Would want to do the spray in but prices seem high and don't have the time to travel to getting it done and would have to wait in the area for it to be done.

Interior lighting is decent but just barely. Exterior lighting has been very good but I haven't used it at night in rural areas. I don't have the problems of stiff interior lights for turning them on by pushing like the other poster 🤔

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think it's ok. During the cold snap we had, I did eventually ramp down the automatic fan limit from high to low gradually and never felt cold. Today I drove around with climate control on for a bit and eventually ended up turning it off as it got colder outside but only had to turn it back on after I opened the door for a bit.

I ordered from Chapman in PA, so I got 4% under invoice. After everything it came out to be $1k cheaper than theoretical MSRP locally. - $50 for tolls 😉

Getting the Gator SFX Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover for $279, $303.76 after tax. Not needing anything too good/fancy for my use case, the quick removal is good because I do need the full length of the bed. Also I think could have gotten it for cheaper apparently if you go to certain sites and use the live chat to order instead of doing it normally.

I'm still debating the bed liner, I have the drop in bed liner on backorder. The truck is semi-protected from the elements and I'm not too worried about rust. The heaviest use the bed is gonna get is moving around pallets but that's about a once or twice a week thing and not long distances so for now throwing a carpet in there lol. Would want to do the spray in but prices seem high and don't have the time to travel to getting it done and would have to wait in the area for it to be done.

Interior lighting is decent but just barely. Exterior lighting has been very good but I haven't used it at night in rural areas. I don't have the problems of stiff interior lights for turning them on by pushing like the other poster 🤔
For a bed liner I used one of these on mine.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat

When I bought it I paid $49 before tax. One mat when you cut it up will cover the whole bed and tailgate with material to spare. Just need a good box cutter and contour gage if you want to shape the back pieces to the wheel wells. To hold in place about $10 worth of black automotive clips that are longer than 3/4 inch to hold it in place after drilling holes through the liner and bed.

These are the specific automotive clips I used bought at Lowes. Hillman part number 881203 if you try to get them elsewhere.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Variable-Depth-Push-Fasteners-for-GM/3012797

Sponsored

OP
OP

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's too diy for me haha. The drilling holes part to secure it :(

Dpd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 dodge journey,2020 RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Was that the BQE in one of the picture . I am happy with your review cause NYC is the best testing battle field for any new truck.Good luck with your new truck,Dom.

VetteNZMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Chapman for me also BUT with CD to Raleigh NC. Assume the sale process went OK. I still think almost hard to believe (and I don't have the truck yet) that you can buy all this for $23k!... I compare it to the 80s when I first saw Yugo and Hyundai pricing for new cars <$5k, although in this case the Mav is actually something you want / can use and it should last for many years :)

OP
OP

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Was that the BQE in one of the picture . I am happy with your review cause NYC is the best testing battle field for any new truck.Good luck with your new truck,Dom.
The 60 mile 35 mpg picture was the belt parkway to and from jfk but I don't really take the BQE other than get on it and get off in 1 or 2 exits.
Sponsored