Sponsored

In YOUR opinion, what makes the Maverick so AFFORDABLE?

OP
OP
SgtLip

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
It costs a business money to capture customers from their competitors. In the auto business this is called a "conquest sale." You've maybe seen manufacture incentives for owners of specific competitive vehicles.

So when the product manager sets the price point, they can justify some reduced margin for the value of capturing a customer who would not otherwise have been a Ford buyer.
Gotcha, didn't know that. I flunked marketing. Thanks for clarifying.
Sponsored

2022MAVERICKAWDCT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK XLT AWD FX4 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The cheap plastics, thin-gaged sheet metal and the cheezie Pirelli Scorpion Tires! 🤑.......Just sayin'.....

OP
OP
SgtLip

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The cheap plastics, thin-gaged sheet metal and the cheezie Pirelli Scorpion Tires! 🤑.......Just sayin'.....
Ya know I was just sitting here thinking about the plastic door panels, dash and such and the Pleather seats (Lariat). They have to cost a lot less.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Man, I hope you are correct. I used to be a sound man and keeping the wiring neat made it so much easier to trace faults.
I so agree with you on that! I used to work avionics and then public safety radio network and have tidy, labeled wire bundles really helps tracing out issues!

2022MAVERICKAWDCT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ya know I was just sitting here thinking about the plastic door panels, dash and such and the Pleather seats (Lariat). They have to cost a lot less.
And these cheap plastic parts also have a bigger carbon-footprint! (A warning for the "save-the-snails" crowd!!!)

Sponsored

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think they are probably taking lower margins in order to win people over who normally wouldn't buy a truck and grow market share in this space. Maybe they're banking on their next vehicle after the Mav being a Ford as well.
That's a thought... but not really good business, when in fact you name brand leads the Truck Market in sales year over year with no signs of declining sales...

My 2 cents: Plastics interior, some reduced interior amenities (no garage door electric synch button? No sunglass holder in the ceiling... what other items are missing?), the 8" display is not the largest in the market space... and one of the videos I watched indicated the "apps" within the base lineup vehicle are very rudimentary (not sure I would have noticed) along with utilizing mass production in play / place already with Escape and Bronco production lines. The minimal options for interior Leather, colors etc... and keeping exterior colors to a minimum as well sharing the current colors across all the other products (again, Bronco and Escape). More thoughts?

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And these cheap plastic parts also have a bigger carbon-footprint! (A warning for the "save-the-snails" crowd!!!)
Please feel free to substantiate that assertion with a reference. I'm no chemical engineer, but I am an engineer and I have worked on instrumentation used in oil/gas exploration and petrochemical manufacturing. It's my understanding that nice plastic require more raw materials and more energy to manufacture and therefore have greater environmental impact than "cheap plastic."

So I don't believe your statement is correct.

Bushmaster2000

First Name
Jones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Limited build options might be a reason. Possibly less technology due to limited chip supply ? But my guess is at least on the 2L version.... there's nothing truly new here. They're just doing the taco bell thing and taking ingredients they already have and putting them together in a different way to make something new.
Why they hybrid version is so cheap though... i have no idea. It's unreasonably cheap! I imagine ford is taking a hit in the wallet offering it at that price.

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's a thought... but not really good business, when in fact you name brand leads the Truck Market in sales year over year with no signs of declining sales...

My 2 cents: Plastics interior, some reduced interior amenities (no garage door electric synch button? No sunglass holder in the ceiling... what other items are missing?), the 8" display is not the largest in the market space... and one of the videos I watched indicated the "apps" within the base lineup vehicle are very rudimentary (not sure I would have noticed) along with utilizing mass production in play / place already with Escape and Bronco production lines. The minimal options for interior Leather, colors etc... and keeping exterior colors to a minimum as well sharing the current colors across all the other products (again, Bronco and Escape). More thoughts?
Didn't Henry Ford only offer only one color on the Model T (Black) and he sold a shit ton of them. At a reasonable price to the masses. :)

OP
OP
SgtLip

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Limited build options might be a reason. Possibly less technology due to limited chip supply ? But my guess is at least on the 2L version.... there's nothing truly new here. They're just doing the taco bell thing and taking ingredients they already have and putting them together in a different way to make something new.
Why they hybrid version is so cheap though... i have no idea. It's unreasonably cheap! I imagine ford is taking a hit in the wallet offering it at that price.
I like the Taco Bell analogy and think you are on to something. As for the hybrid model, others have mentioned it's old technology updated. All of the investment moneys have been put back in the bank.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SgtLip

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please feel free to substantiate that assertion with a reference. I'm no chemical engineer, but I am an engineer and I have worked on instrumentation used in oil/gas exploration and petrochemical manufacturing. It's my understanding that nice plastic require more raw materials and more energy to manufacture and therefore have greater environmental impact than "cheap plastic."

No scientist here for sure. Can't speak for @2022MAVERICKAWDCT but I have always thought that "cheap plastic" is typically thinner and not as good a quality as the other stuff. So based on what I think you are saying, the better stuff has a higher impact on environment than the cheaper stuff because it takes more raw material and more energy. Complete opposite what I have always thought. Thanks for schooling ole' Sarge.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No scientist here for sure. Can't speak for @2022MAVERICKAWDCT but I have always thought that "cheap plastic" is typically thinner and not as good a quality as the other stuff. So based on what I think you are saying, the better stuff has a higher impact on environment than the cheaper stuff because it takes more raw material and more energy. Complete opposite what I have always thought. Thanks for schooling ole' Sarge.
'Zactly. A more refined product has greater impact.

DucFae

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick; Moto - Scrambler UE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered from Horsham, I have been told I will get it at 4% below invoice. So I am reasonably sure thats what I will pay if Horsham does not want some really bad press.
Ayyy Horsham, assuming that's PA did some work up there once upon a moon. Worst roads I've ever been on and bro I've been to Cleveland. 😩

Last edited:

potatosalad

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's great business- although Ford may dominate the full size category the tacoma is more than double what the ranger sells in the mid size group. Seeing how this is a new (well revitalized) compact truck market it would make sense to grow top line and gain market share before other players enter the space. I am one of those folks that wouldn't have even considered a Ford before and price and mpg is a reason i'm here and not the santa cruz forums.

2022MAVERICKAWDCT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Relax people....I was just joking.....I was just throwin it out there for fun!....

I also work as a Mechanical Engineer, and currently work in the Petrolchemical instrumentation field, and have had to educate myself quickly in the realm of plastics.

And yes, FirstFord is correct: The stronger / Higher Impact Engineering plastics can have all kinds of toxic additives like siloxane to improve cold-weather impact strength and bromine / chlorine as a fire-retardant. I always put people and the environment first, and will only specify RoHS and REACH compliant resins in my designs.

There are newer Environmentally-Friendly, Safer plastics being developed all the time. You just have do a ton of research to find them. The big oil countries like Saudi Arabia control most of the worlds plastics (Search SABIC) and it is heavily marketed. They bought all of GE's rights to their plastic formulas when GE went down the tubes (For pennies on the dollar).

Thank you FirstFord for keeping me honest!!! :geek:
Sponsored

Last edited: