Sponsored

In YOUR opinion, what makes the Maverick so AFFORDABLE?

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
  • Banned
I've been giving it a lot of thought and can't come up with a reason as to what makes the Maverick so affordable. Is it strictly it's smaller size, is it built with cheaper equipment/parts? When I look at a few of the pictures posted on the forum, in MY OPINION, it's extremely messy or cluttered looking. Is that the reason? They aren't spending the time to tidy everything up?

How or Why do you think they priced it so affordable?

Ford Maverick In YOUR opinion, what makes the Maverick so AFFORDABLE? 2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid 2.5L Velocity Blue 4

Ford Maverick In YOUR opinion, what makes the Maverick so AFFORDABLE? 2022-maverick-footwell-air-vents-floor-under-front-seats-rear-air-1536x1043
Sponsored

potatosalad

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think they are probably taking lower margins in order to win people over who normally wouldn't buy a truck and grow market share in this space. Maybe they're banking on their next vehicle after the Mav being a Ford as well.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
How or Why do you think they priced it so affordable?
Why? Ford stopped selling passenger cars to focus on trucks and SUVs. The Maverick is one result of that. Sell a truck that's cheaper than a Civic and gets better gas mileage to boot.

How? Well, for starters, Ford decided to assemble the Maverick in Mexico. Honda did the same with the Fit and the HR-V.

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
Well, for one, it's built in Mexico. The look under the hood is similar to the Escape, which is built in the US. They are both vehicles designed for a price point, but everything is built that way.

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
CAFE standards. They need to sell more high mpg vehicles. This also pulls people off of low mpg large trucks raising the overall average.

Ford is making very little if any on the maverick. Standardized components across the platform lowers cost as well. I also think ford is trying to get some first time vehicle buyers hooked on the Ford brand. I have a feeling a lot of maverick sales will be to people who have never bought a brand new vehicle.

Sponsored

DucFae

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick; Moto - Scrambler UE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think they are probably taking lower margins in order to win people over who normally wouldn't buy a truck and grow market share in this space. Maybe they're banking on their next vehicle after the Mav being a Ford as well.
I 100% fall into the "Never owned a Ford or Truck" category. Economic vehicles have been my jam from the outset. I would have never in my life thought I'd buy a truck simply because of how big, how pricey, and how much gas. This truck IMO is truly a game changer.

OP
OP
SgtLip

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I guess I look at it from the view of the F250 that I traded 6 months later for a F150. When I opened the hood/s, everything was in place and they both looked neat and proper. Under the dash was neat and tidy. Under the driver seat didn't look anything like under the Maverick's driver seat.

But then I thought because of the size, it would be cheaper. But I thought, the engine and all the drivetrain are basically the same as any other vehicle and would cost the same unless they used inferior parts. So that leaves the interior and sheet metal/aluminum. Other than the amount of material, it couldn't possible be that much cheaper.

So that was why I asked the question. Where is the cost savings?

Thanks for input.

OP
OP
SgtLip

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
CAFE standards. They need to sell more high mpg vehicles. This also pulls people off of low mpg large trucks raising the overall average.
Totally forgot about the CAFE standards. Thanks for that input.

Unforgiven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto blue hybrid lariat maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I currently own two fords. My 2019 F150 and a 2014 Focus SE that my teenage son drives. My wife drove a 2014 Explorer limited until last year when we replaced it with a Honda Pilot. (We would have gotten another explorer, but the new model is overpriced in my opinion). I have grown brand loyal to Ford because I have had very good experiences with my vehicles. I know this isn't necessarily the case for everyone. But overall, I would say I am probably atypical and that ford is obviously trying to attract those that have never owned a ford before.

As for how the price is low, as others have said, Mexican labor keeps costs lower, plus limited configuration options streamlines parts and supply lines. Additionally, the truck is based on an already developed unibody system from the Bronco sport and the engines are already proven as well in the Escape. So lots of ways they are keeping the costs down here. They don't have to make a lot on each vehicle when they are going to sell a ton of them.

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Totally forgot about the CAFE standards. Thanks for that input.
My guess is since Ford is not selling cars really anymore they need to fill the gap the hybrid Ford fusion left. We are going to see a lot more electric vehicles on the road in the next 5-10 years. If Ford can get people into one if their vehicles now they will be much more likely to purchase an electric car or truck from them down the road.

I would bet Ford is losing money on XL hybrids even witha few options added. Maybe breaking even on xlts and maybe making a little on lariat models. The high 1495 destination fee is certainly helping them

Sponsored

abcinv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Tundra DBL Cab Limited 4WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do we think we'll get the Maverick at the price on our DORA's?
Just throwing that out there for the conversations...

OP
OP
SgtLip

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would bet Ford is losing money on XL hybrids even witha few options added. Maybe breaking even on xlts and maybe making a little on lariat models. The high 1495 destination fee is certainly helping them
You're probably correct. They are either losing money or breaking even on the XL and XLT. The Lariat although making a buck, they aren't buying very much crypto currency I'm sure.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered from Horsham, I have been told I will get it at 4% below invoice. So I am reasonably sure thats what I will pay if Horsham does not want some really bad press.

OP
OP
SgtLip

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure some of the dealers are going to try and add on all types of fees and charges. It will be prudent upon every buyer to hold their feet to the fire if they have numbers in writing.

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT/Lariat.. Undecided still :O
I was thinking about this earlier and I don't necessarily feel it's "affordable", I think we've just been tricked into thinking it's "affordable" because all mid-size and full-size vehicles have become so "un-affordable."

7 years ago I had a hard time convincing myself that I needed a brand new 2014 F150 SuperCrew that was a loaded XLT FX4 for $38,000 out the door, fresh off the truck only 3 miles on it. Passed on the deal and now here I am looking at an AWD Lariat Maverick that's nearly pushing that same price before any incentive of dealer discount. That same F150 similarly optioned today has inflated to a cool $55,000 making it beyond unreasonable for what I'd ever spend on a truck. I could have had that 2014 paid off by now, and the only look I would probably be giving the Maverick would be solely based on the fuel economy. Bigger problem is I can't even get that same 2014 clean, used but low miles for under $30,000 now. Unbelievable times.
Sponsored