Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, well done! (y)

So, about 8 mpg per 10 mph, as a rule of thumb. Very useful.

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This experiment shows the relative change in MPG for the same vehicle at different average speeds, but keep in mind, the vehicle's onboard MPG calculation is not reliable.

That being said, it's interesting to see how much speed affects MPG. I always scratch my head when I see giant, lifted trucks racing down the road at 75-80 MPH. I guess they own a lot of oil company stock... 😉

OP
OP
Real World

Real World

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT with Luxury Package
This experiment shows the relative change in MPG for the same vehicle at different average speeds, but keep in mind, the vehicle's onboard MPG calculation is not reliable.

That being said, it's interesting to see how much speed affects MPG. I always scratch my head when I see giant, lifted trucks racing down the road at 75-80 MPH. I guess they own a lot of oil company stock... 😉
I agree that there can be some level of variance in the onboard computer. However, it does at least calculate it the same way for each test. Consistently, they seem to have tuned these computers to calculate the mileage a little high when compared to the actual gas used. I have done some of the tests multiple times and I do get very similar results when going at the same speed. So I think it may be off on the exact mileage, but every one of the tests should be off in a similar way.

RRaynor2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't forget weight reduction. Industry rule of thumb is 100lb dropped is 1% increase in fuel economy. Skip that Jelly donut and gain some (very small) MPGs!

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm surprised at how linear the change is, however when you think of it as a % drop between each speed increment, that % increases (50-60 is a 15% decrease, while 70-80 is a 22% decrease).

I suspect the relative change would be similar for an ecoboost. Unfortunately in Minnesota I'd probably get a ticket testing this out :)

HTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice work! If the ecoboost I have ordered ever gets built I’ll contribute the same with some nice flat Texas roads.

mike1964

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick xl AWD 4k tow package
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thats wild but seems the faster i go on the freeway the better my mpg is i drove 75 and 80 most of the way from Kentucky to Georgia andthe mpg kept climbing lol

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice work! If the ecoboost I have ordered ever gets built I’ll contribute the same with some nice flat Texas roads.
In Texas on a freshly chip sealed road you can listen to the more rapid rate of tread wear happening!
Sponsored