First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m getting the 2.0T with AWD for towing. I have to tow around 2500-3000 on a regular basis so it makes sense for me to get the cheapest truck that can do it!

mrchips0401

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.computerhope.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also, keep in mind, we don't have any mileage reports for the hybrid...maybe they are better than advertised, too?
did you say better for the hybrid? Than 40 mpg? is this heaven? Nope, Iowa

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
did you say better for the hybrid? Than 40 mpg? is this heaven? Nope, Iowa
I have a theory that all reports are going to be better than EPA because the computers in the vehicles are... Optimistic. 😁

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let's see how many switch to the 2.0.

I might get a sooner build date if some hybrid orders get switched. 😂
Right? The more that switch, the closer I'll be to getting scheduled.

But anyone who want's to save money will go with the hybrid. Over the lifetime of the car, if you were to compare both, I'd expect you'd save 20k with the hybrid. ~3500 up front cost, 600/yr fuel savings, that's $10k right there over 12 years (assuming fuel prices don't go up, which they will). Then factor in that the ecoboost will likely have higher maint costs, and likely depreciate quicker, and won't last as long as the hybrid, I really don't think 20k over 15 years is out of the question at all. Invest that money wisely, and you should be able to retire 6 months earlier.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tngreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester

But anyone who want's to save money will go with the hybrid. Over the lifetime of the car, if you were to compare both, I'd expect you'd save 20k with the hybrid. ~3500 up front cost, 600/yr fuel savings, that's $10k right there over 12 years (assuming fuel prices don't go up, which they will). Then factor in that the ecoboost will likely have higher maint costs, and likely depreciate quicker, and won't last as long as the hybrid, I really don't think 20k over 15 years is out of the question at all. Invest that money wisely, and you should be able to retire 6 months earlier.
Absolutely excellent points here !!!
My use case, the hybrid makes more sense! Just wish it had AWD, but I got a Subie for that day, plus I live in East TN, rarely snows anymore that a FWD with AT tires can't go through with patience and driving skill. My parents took a 1979 Honda CVCC through all kinds of deep snow with proper tires.

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hope you're right but I'm skeptical of these kinds of mpg reports.
Then that means the truck computer is inacurrate. I have seen it report 32.9 on an AWD.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette

Great points. Conversely, while price was one of my primary considerations, I still wound up changing from the hybrid to the 2.0. Once I considered the following, the hybrid didn’t present the stark savings it seemed like it would at first glance.
  1. Since I didn’t add the 2.0 AND the AWD, my price only went up 1100, not 3500.
  2. My wife and I both have lead foots in town and drive highway a lot. So the hybrid would’ve given us some fuel savings, but nowhere near the level most people assume they’ll be getting.
  3. Since I’m trading in/selling, waiting an extra cpl months could cost me a couple thousand, due to depreciating used car values.
  4. I don’t typically keep cars past 100k miles and because of Ford’s piss poor electronic reliability (IME), I’ll be purchasing an ESP regardless. Maintenance costs are a wash.

First Name
Kendrick Cunningham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Ford Explorer.
Engine
Undecided
Yes, we were told it's the same 2.0L without any tweaks.

The BSport is rated 26 highway, so this would be ~10MPG gain.

Folks expected some gain b/c the Mav isn't lugging around a real 4x4, but this is a lot to explain.

+1. The Escape 2.0L AWD is rated 31 highway. These trainer reports go above that by ~5MPG.
Maybe it’s Aerodynamics?

MDRN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat First Edition Hybrid Rapid Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

You also have to factor opportunity cost for the money. If you're paying up front, and assuming a modest 5% return, after 12 years you're losing out on....
About $1K return on Ecoboost.
About $3.5K return on Ecoboost+AWD.

Back of the napkin calcs. Five years of ownership of Ecoboost + AWD will cost the owner roughly $7000-9500 more than the base Hybrid.

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You also have to factor opportunity cost for the money. If you're paying up front, and assuming a modest 5% return, after 12 years you're losing out on....
About $1K return on Ecoboost.
About $3.5K return on Ecoboost+AWD.

Back of the napkin calcs. Five years of ownership of Ecoboost + AWD will cost the owner roughly $7000-9500 more than the base Hybrid.
Well...I move my 2000 lb (dry weight) travel trailer about 12 x/year so if every trip I had to rent another vehicle for $200-$300, I'd be out $2400-$3600/year so over $10k in costs in 5 years for the Hybrid.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well...I move my 2000 lb (dry weight) travel trailer about 12 x/year so if every trip I had to rent another vehicle for $200-$300, I'd be out $2400-$3600/year so over $10k in costs in 5 years for the Hybrid.
Then it sounds like adding the 4K tow package is a smart upgrade for you (financially it's pretty much a wash but it will be convenient), so I'd imagine you weren't in the group considering a switch from Hybrid to Ecoboost when the MPGs were leaked. My calcs were for only adding Ecoboost+AWD, which it wouldn't help your situation.

Last edited:

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Then it sounds like adding the 4K tow package is a smart upgrade for you (financially it's pretty much a wash but it will be convenient), so I'd imagine you weren't in the group considering a switch from Hybrid to Ecoboost when the MPGs were leaked. My calcs were for only adding Ecoboost+AWD, which it wouldn't help your situation.
Nope but my sister did very briefly. Regardless of the mileage difference, the hybrid is still better and it starts off cheaper. Much different than when I bought my Prius 13 years ago....the break even point was about 6-7 years, with the Mav you start out ahead. I would get the Hybrid if I could get the AWD, can't get on the beach without it :(

Last edited:

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope buy my sister did very briefly. Regardless of the mileage difference, the hybrid is still better and it starts off cheaper. Much different than when I bought my Prius 13 years ago....the break even point was about 6-7 years, with the Mav you start out ahead. I would get the Hybrid if I could get the AWD, can't get on the beach without it :(
Yeah. The most interesting thing about the Maverick is how it's changed the cost-benefit ratio for the hybrid v gas-only decision. You start out ahead and then keep saving with the hybrid. And it shows a lot of promise in that seemingly 60-80% of buyers are forgoing more horsepower, AWD, and additional towing. This could be a watershed for hybrid tech (now at critical mass/economies of scale) in becoming the standard drivetrains rather than upgrades across makers and models.
Sponsored