Sponsored

If they made a full EV Maverick, would you buy, switch? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not me! I am afraid I would run out of 'juice.' lol Don't care for Chinese batteries. Not too mention the price! How much do replacment batteries cost?
- "running out of juice" is no different than running out of gas. Except you can fill 'er up at home :)
- Batteries will be made in the USA as a requirement of the new EV rebate law so no Chinese batteries
- Ford is building two different battery plants right now, to open in 2025 I think. In Kentucky or maybe Tennessee, I forget
- Batteries and associated components are warranted for 8 years so why worry about replacements?
- Unlike current ICE vehicles which are mature technology EV tech is changing rapidly, so it is unlikely people will keep current EV's as long as they do current ICE vehicles. Sort of like when computers were rapidly changing, I got a new one every two years. These days it's more like 5 or longer because the tech is mature
- I had a Prius hybrid for 10 years. Battery was about 90% of new when I sold it so the battery is the least of my worries. And they are getting better all the time.
Sponsored

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tesla has the best charging network hands down. Other networks are working to expand. I would buy a fully electric Maverick when and if the charging network expands and works out all the kinks..there are many. O, and if Musk was in any way involved in the EV Maverick...then NO.

kkgg

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It looks like "maverick lightning" is patented by Ford. So it's likely to come in the future

basemodel

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Hybrid xl (ordered) (switched to EB)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
no. A EV maverick is bound to cost 35k+. My truck is OTD @26,500. (XL with co-pilot, AWD, 4K, rear window, and inverter). I drive about 8-10k miles a year, it would take me a couple decades to recoup that 10k premium on an EV. I had a model 3 and it still costed me $20 a week to charge (about half what my EB will cost me). So about a $400 difference in fuel to charge costs. (it's actually cheaper but I did 10k miles @$4 a gallon versus $2.89 which it is currently.) That's about two decades before I break even , doesn't make any sense.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
:poop: No Thanks

Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
- "running out of juice" is no different than running out of gas. Except you can fill 'er up at home :)
- Batteries will be made in the USA as a requirement of the new EV rebate law so no Chinese batteries
- Ford is building two different battery plants right now, to open in 2025 I think. In Kentucky or maybe Tennessee, I forget
- Batteries and associated components are warranted for 8 years so why worry about replacements?
- Unlike current ICE vehicles which are mature technology EV tech is changing rapidly, so it is unlikely people will keep current EV's as long as they do current ICE vehicles. Sort of like when computers were rapidly changing, I got a new one every two years. These days it's more like 5 or longer because the tech is mature
- I had a Prius hybrid for 10 years. Battery was about 90% of new when I sold it so the battery is the least of my worries. And they are getting better all the time.
Battterries will be made in the USA with globally sourced materials like everything else these days when it says made in the USA.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm getting the Lariat hybrid. I'd drop it like a hot rock for a Maverick Lariat EV.

Update... Living with a Maverick Hybrid for last 4 months... Completely charmed and smitten by the Maverick hybrid. At this point I would go with a PHEV vs an EV. If Ford offers a PHEV in the future, with a minimum of 50 miles on battery, we will be a two Maverick family.

Update: Ordered a 2023 Cyber Orange Hybrid Lariat Lux Maverick, 9/20/22. So hopefully at some point in 2023 we will be a two Maverick family. If in 2024 Ford does a PHEV Maverick we will order one and sell/trade in the 2022 Maverick.
We have solar panels on the house that produce 'excess' power but I'd still not get an EV Maverick. Traveling would be to much of a pain waiting for a recharge.

I would go for a PHEV though. Most of our local driving would be 'free' and refueling while traveling would be the same as now.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Battterries will be made in the USA with globally sourced materials like everything else these days when it says made in the USA.
Not necessarily, the USA has very large reserves of lithium, we just never developed them because importing was cheaper. The Salton Sea alone is predicted to be able to supply all USA lithium needs for at least 40 years. And lithium is only the current battery chemistry, I suspect it gets replaced by something else within 5 - 10 years. There are cheaper and safer chemistries in development.

We have solar panels on the house that produce 'excess' power but I'd still not get an EV Maverick. Traveling would be to much of a pain waiting for a recharge.
Just took delivery of a new VW ID.4 so we will see how much pain charging on the road will be. Charging at home was so easy I thought I forgot something. Plug in and it's all done in a few hours. We have only charged once on the road so far. Took 20 minutes to reach 94% and I unplugged at that point. Wasn't even time to get our errand done. I doubt it will always be that easy though.

Depends on your location a lot. I think travel on major arteries like I-5 on the west coast will be simple. Out in the middle of the country, that might be a challenge for a few years.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not me! I am afraid I would run out of 'juice.' lol Don't care for Chinese batteries. Not too mention the price! How much do replacment batteries cost?
This mindset slowly goes away, deciding without all the facts. For some reason people think they need to have a 500 mile range or it's junk.

Grumpa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Pacifica Honda Civic Chevy Sonic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This mindset slowly goes away, deciding without all the facts. For some reason people think they need to have a 500 mile range or it's junk.
It ain't that they're junk. Just too rich for my blood and you have to have an electrician uy your power in the house. My son and his wife have two Teslas. I prefer using gasoline. I am a dinosaur! (and happy!)

Sponsored

hdrider02

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm getting the Lariat hybrid. I'd drop it like a hot rock for a Maverick Lariat EV.

Update... Living with a Maverick Hybrid for last 4 months... Completely charmed and smitten by the Maverick hybrid. At this point I would go with a PHEV vs an EV. If Ford offers a PHEV in the future, with a minimum of 50 miles on battery, we will be a two Maverick family.

Update: Ordered a 2023 Cyber Orange Hybrid Lariat Lux Maverick, 9/20/22. So hopefully at some point in 2023 we will be a two Maverick family. If in 2024 Ford does a PHEV Maverick we will order one and sell/trade in the 2022 Maverick.
Won't consider an EV until they get at least 300 highway miles, and can be recharged fully in 15 minutes. Otherwise, hybrids make the most sense for me.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Went to look at a Mach e California route 1 yesterday. With the extended battery and AWD both standard it is priced at just under 60k. We liked it a lot but that’s 15k over a similarly equipped hybrid. That makes it tough and the confusion with tax credits doesn’t help.

I imagine a similarly equipped Maverick would be 50k.

john218

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Mercedes C300
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not enough lithium being mined in the US for all batteries “made in the USA”.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not enough lithium being mined in the US for all batteries “made in the USA”.
Not yet. The Salton Sea facilities alone are projected to supply all US needs once they ramp up. Plus, a mine in Nevada and one in Canada under development but not online yet. Plus, massive reserves in Wyoming, discovered but not even in planning stage yet. USA is listed as being #4 in the world for proven Lithium reserves and that was before the Wyoming discovery. Lithium supply is not an issue long term. Short term, yes.

And several non-Lithium battery chemistries are under development. Lithium is in fact not the best battery solution. Just the best one available today. I would not be surprised to see Lithium superseded by newer chemistries in the 8 to 10 year time frame.
Sponsored