Sponsored

If they made a full EV Maverick, would you buy, switch? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Surprising how many people here get hung up on charging station availability.

When the Model T came out over 120 years ago the only way to buy gasoline was in 1 gallon cans at a hardware store. Using some of the arguments presented in this thread, ICE automobiles would have never been successful because fueling them was so hard, especially compared to using horses which could eat grass available on just about any rural roadside.

Just as in the Model T case, the fueling (charging) infrastructure will naturally grow in locations where it’s needed as EVs become popular.

Sure, there are plenty of current uses cases where EVs don’t work well today, in which case stick with an ICE vehicle. But to say EVs will never work and crap on others with use cases where it does work only reveals a Luddite butthead attitude, which simply makes you irrelevant.
Wow, this is the biggest red herring argument I've heard in a long time. You know it's a ridiculous one right?

When automobiles first came out, it was a brand new endeavor for which nothing similar to it existed. The country was still largely based on local interactions, people frequently never traveled outside of the town they grew up in much less state.

The change from ICE to EV isn't the same by a long stretch. It is asking people to change long standing habits of their day to day lifestyle for minimal day to day benefit. All the while having to shell out more up front to hope there is a tax, maintenance, and fuel vs electricity savings.

Understanding the issue is step one in changing perception. Pretending this transition of perception from ICE to EV is the same as the introduction of the automobile from horse and buggy... Long ways off the mark there.
Sponsored

Maverstang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata; Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, this is the biggest red herring argument I've heard in a long time. You know it's a ridiculous one right?

When automobiles first came out, it was a brand new endeavor for which nothing similar to it existed. The country was still largely based on local interactions, people frequently never traveled outside of the town they grew up in much less state.

The change from ICE to EV isn't the same by a long stretch. It is asking people to change long standing habits of their day to day lifestyle for minimal day to day benefit. All the while having to shell out more up front to hope there is a tax, maintenance, and fuel vs electricity savings.

Understanding the issue is step one in changing perception. Pretending this transition of perception from ICE to EV is the same as the introduction of the automobile from horse and buggy... Long ways off the mark there.
Sorry you don’t see the parallels and differences. Regardless, no one is forcing people in Katy Texas to have an EV today, but there are plenty of places where it does make sense and people want it, so why criticize others when the writing is on the wall.

Besides, there is also one other often missed macro economic point which will drive this EV change. Change in any industry, including transportation, creates jobs and economic growth, plus in this case helps retain and maintain technology leadership over other economies like China and to a lesser extent Europe. Your own town of Katy only exists as a result of an expansionist rail transportation policy in the 1800s (remember the MKT) and benefits to this day from an aggressive oil and gas industrial policy, and so it will go with EV transportation industry policies (for the places where it makes sense).

Back to charging, whenever there is transportation industry disruption, the supporting infrastructure, be it rails, roads, airports, gas stations, or EV charging stations, will organically develop where it is needed to support the evolution.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry you don’t see the parallels and differences. Regardless, no one is forcing people in Katy Texas to have an EV today, but there are plenty of places where it does make sense and people want it, so why criticize others when the writing is on the wall.

Besides, there is also one other often missed macro economic point which will drive this EV change. Change in any industry, including transportation, creates jobs and economic growth, plus in this case helps retain and maintain technology leadership over other economies like China and to a lesser extent Europe. Your own town of Katy only exists as a result of an expansionist rail transportation policy in the 1800s (remember the MKT) and benefits to this day from an aggressive oil and gas industrial policy, and so it will go with EV transportation industry policies (for the places where it makes sense).

Back to charging, whenever there is transportation industry disruption, the supporting infrastructure, be it rails, roads, airports, gas stations, or EV charging stations, will organically develop where it is needed to support the evolution.
You are making a lot of assumptions on my opinions. I just pointing out the fallacies to your propaganda.

I am actually all for EVs. I am all for environmental benefits (though I don't think it's a big with EV as some try to make it). I am all for the economic benefits of growth through innovation.

My wife is a great fit for an EV. She drives very low mileage daily, and when we go on longer trips we take my vehicle. But she has a 2014 ICE that is free and clear and low miles. So we won't be buying one for quite a while.

When we get to point of the infrastructure being ready for wide spread adoption, I will likely be on board. But we are nowhere close to that. Voluntary and market driven expansion is great. But the dumb things like California trying to force it decades ahead of when it will be ready is silly. See my other posts in this thread about that.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As in 2025? when my truck would be prayed off? Maybe. Still don't think its their yet as far EV charging spots. I much rather prefer a ST first!

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Hate to burst your bubble but tell that to the truck drivers that don't want to go to California because of the politics of the state. The supply chain for incoming goods has been severely hindered because of the regulations put in place in California..."whenever there is transportation industry disruption, the supporting infrastructure, be it rails, roads, airports, gas stations, or EV charging stations, will organically develop where it is needed to support the evolution."....and wait til the diesel shortage hits because of the push for EV's and lack of energy independence...let me add....you know how many jobs are created with more drilling, more pipelines, more offshore drilling? Electricity depends on fossil fuels without them it doesn't happen...

Last edited:

Sponsored

desmobob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
But to say EVs will never work and crap on others with use cases where it does work only reveals a Luddite butthead attitude, which simply makes you irrelevant.
Nothing bolsters a viewpoint like name-calling! Way to win 'em over! (y)

Fitzovich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm getting the Lariat hybrid. I'd drop it like a hot rock for a Maverick Lariat EV.

Update... Living with a Maverick Hybrid for last 4 months... Completely charmed and smitten by the Maverick hybrid. At this point I would go with a PHEV vs an EV. If Ford offers a PHEV in the future, with a minimum of 50 miles on battery, we will be a two Maverick family.

Update: Ordered a 2023 Cyber Orange Hybrid Lariat Lux Maverick, 9/20/22. So hopefully at some point in 2023 we will be a two Maverick family. If in 2024 Ford does a PHEV Maverick we will order one and sell/trade in the 2022 Maverick.
I would consider it, but just got my XL hybrid from a rejected order and I want to get used to it.

hdrider02

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, would not consider electric vehicle. Technology is not there yet. When you can pull into a charging station, and bring it to full charge in 10 minutes, I will then consider one.
The other problem is there is not enough electricity generated in this country to charge electric
vehicles if that is all we had. There are already rolling blackouts in California, and the possibility
of more in the Northeast this winter.

Flight Test

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvettes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

No, would not consider electric vehicle. Technology is not there yet. When you can pull into a charging station, and bring it to full charge in 10 minutes, I will then consider one.
The other problem is there is not enough electricity generated in this country to charge electric
vehicles if that is all we had. There are already rolling blackouts in California, and the possibility
of more in the Northeast this winter.
So true. đź‘Ť

MaverRick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MachE 4EX 2022 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Wife is getting ready to sell her MachE. We are now thinking that we should have bought a plugin hybrid instead!

Sponsored

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea I probably would go for an EV Maverick. Assuming the price is consistent with the savings in operating costs. But I don't think we will see that until 2026 maybe 2025 if we are lucky.

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would consider it . of course it depends on cost and function .

Grumpa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Pacifica Honda Civic Chevy Sonic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea I probably would go for an EV Maverick. Assuming the price is consistent with the savings in operating costs. But I don't think we will see that until 2026 maybe 2025 if we are lucky.
Not me! I am afraid I would run out of 'juice.' lol Don't care for Chinese batteries. Not too mention the price! How much do replacment batteries cost?
Sponsored