If they made a full EV Maverick, would you buy, switch?

A_Turkey_Sammich

Lariat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Trim
Lariat
All electric? Def not in this current time. Electricity rates going up fast, range too small tho nice to see 200+ being common now, lack of charging stations, time to recharge, etc. it’s just not ready for prime time.

PHEV…I think that is the sweet spot. Electric range usually enough to get thru a fair bit if not all daily around town stuff. Hybrid mode takes care of the long distance stuff. Then depending on electricity rates, gas prices, and the mpg they get…just like there are times it’s more cost effective to plug in and drive electric as much as you can, there have also been times it’s more cost effective to NOT plug in at all and drive straight hybrid. I think those really are the sweet spot for the time being and wish there were more of them both in attainability as far as cost/availability goes and in more makes/models.

Maverstang

XLT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Trim
XLT
California has announced that all vehicles sold by 2035 must be electric. EVs include plug in hybrids (PHEV) which will need to go 50 miles on electric only before switching to gas.

Ford’s PHEV Escape SUV is now goes 37 miles in electric only mode. Toyota has the RAV4 PHEV will go 40 mile in electric only mode. But these are great and expensive vehicles.

PHEVs are beyond your price range for now, but hopefully Ford will make an affordable PHEV Maverick in the 24 or 25 MY.
There will be no Maverick EV in this generation because the C2 platform will not support it. Maybe an all new future generation product, likely based on the Explorer EV.

And there will be no PHEV either. The Escape/Kuga PHEV only exists because of European demand, and now Europe is walking away from PHEVs, so Ford is also walking away.

Ford may not support hybrids much longer either. They may go all in on EVs only, like GM, because of North American incentives. There are no new hybrid designs, the Maverick hybrid is an Escape leftover (with a few mods). The Explorer hybrid is basically dead and the F150 is more of a power accessory, not designed for economy.

The only people still committed to new hybrids are the Japanese manufacturers.

LuxMavHP

Lariat
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Trim
Lariat
The range of EV's is too small unless you use it as a local commuter. I would purchase an EV for the sake of our environment if it helped. The problem is, it does not. Where does the vast majority of the power that produces the electricity come from...fossil fuels. There is no true infrastructure or technology to support EV's. Let's take away those facts and pretend it is somehow feasible for the United States to go all EV. For it to be effective to help pollution, ALL countries in the world would have to reduce their carbon footprint to zero. I don't think, China, Russia, or India are going to be on board anytime soon to put it mildly. Trust me, I care about our environment but going all EV does not eliminate the fact most of that electricity to charge an EV comes from fossil fuels. Reality is not always pleasant, but it can't be ignored.

BEC

Lariat
First Name
Bernard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mazda3 HB 6-speed MT, 2016 Kia Soul EV
Trim
Lariat
We have an EV (2016 Kia Soul EV) and love it, even though the battery is dying (and will be replaced under warranty fairly soon). The Maverick hybrid we ordered on 9/16 (assuming we get it) will replace our Mazda 3 as the road trip car, as well as add some versatility in hauling stuff that right now forces us to rent occasionally.

Experience with the Soul in its current condition (~35 mile range on a full charge) tells me that we could be get good use from a PHEV with similar all-electric range. If Ford makes such a Maverick in 2024 or 2025 (and assuming we get the 2023) we would trade right away.

Then, in the long run, we will get a full EV with decent range (~300 miles, not 100 miles). But that is more a non-Tesla infrastructure thing for where we would want to go on road trips (from Pacific Northwest to family in New Mexico). I see that as a mid-to-late 2020s thing if we get the Maverick and the new battery in the Soul does what we expect. Not sure what becomes of the Maverick at that point....but that's several bridges not yet in sight to cross.

TedTX

XL
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Trim
XL
I keep my cars and trucks on a steady 7 year replacement cycle. Expect landscape on battery technology and critical mass on EV would be reached by then.
I think moving a heavy pack of batteries is stupid, as a kid in Berlin they had this bus like thing called a cable car. Super fun. Throwing foot long bolts of lighting, loud sounds sniffs of ozone lurching from overhead wire to wire groups with momentum only.
With induction technology and very refined lane tracking already in existence, the direction we are taking with EV will never reach the outcomes society expects due to limited rare earth materials, outmoded gas pump like charging stations and electric infrastructure.

Chicolini

XLT
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B2300 pickup
Trim
XLT
I have no desire for an EV. I would need to see the cost and range of a PHEV.

I am having the electrician coming this morning to install the panel for a whole house back up generator. Because the power grid is inadequate for current demand.

Electric vehicles combust spectacularly. Remember the auto transport ship that sank when the electric Porsche caught afire?

Electric vehicles are a menace to the environment.

mjkladis

Lariat
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Trim
Lariat
Depending on the price, I’d go for it.

Takk

XLT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, HP Red
Trim
XLT
I have no desire for an EV. I would need to see the cost and range of a PHEV.

I am having the electrician coming this morning to install the panel for a whole house back up generator. Because the power grid is inadequate for current demand.

Electric vehicles combust spectacularly. Remember the auto transport ship that sank when the electric Porsche caught afire?

Electric vehicles are a menace to the environment.
Someone earlier said we were in the Wright Brothers age of EVs and someone jumped in to disagree. I don't think we're so bad as a short hop at Kittyhawk, but we definitely are in the age of Air Mail and Barnstormers. Spectacular disasters, insane recalls, incredible leaps forward in capability and etc. I'm going to wait until we get to the 1950s or so before I convert: recharging stations in every small town, mechanics have good technical literacy with the basic EV equipment and concept...

I hope they bring back those soda shops for it too...

Chicolini

XLT
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B2300 pickup
Trim
XLT
My Chevy Bolt Compact EV with 250 miles of range recharges in 1 minute. Sometimes less.

20-30 seconds to connect the cord, 20-30 second to dis-connect the cord. FASTER THAN REFUELING AT A GAS STATION.

IT ONLY TAKES 1 minute of my time.
Bless your heart.

Charging Chevy Bolt | Enel X

Chris0822

XL
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo V60
Trim
XL
It's all about the energy folks.
The reason we use gasoline and diesel is energy per pound. Literally nothing beats it (except nuclear power). Nothing comes close.

Batteries for huge range is foolish.
Batteries for short range is practical.
It's not really about technology. Really it isn't.

Why do you charge your phone every night? Answer: It's because people will only buy something light weight and of practical size.

You could have a cell phone with a battery to last 2 weeks per charge. But it would weigh 5 pounds. This is what some of you expect from an EV.

An EV truck with 500 miles is going to weigh 10,000 unladen weight. And you need to tote that weight around on every trip, even the short ones, so your cost per mile will be larger. Maybe larger than gas.

Just not practical.

Smaller batteries. Frequent charging. Even automatic charging will be the future. It's the only way to go. (Other than nuclear.)
I couldn't agree more with this. We bought an inexpensive off lease 2014 BMW i3 back in 2017 which only has a range of 80 miles (on a good day). This is perfect for commuting and much more energy efficient not carrying around a large battery. Of course this only works as a secondary car and having the ability to charge every night.

GPSMan

XLT
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Trim
XLT
How about instead of expensive "all purpose vehicles", the truck that drag races while seating 7 while carrying a ton of bricks in the bed while pulling a 35 foot travel trailer while going to soccer practice after the daily commute to the office.....

We build and buy cheap PURPOSEFUL vehicles, a tiny EV with small battery and quick charger for the daily commute and soccer practice...

And a cheap gas only truck for medium duty hauling and a cheap diesel only for heavy hauling?

Timothyd

XLT
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Trim
XLT
All electric? Def not in this current time. Electricity rates going up fast, range too small tho nice to see 200+ being common now, lack of charging stations, time to recharge, etc. it’s just not ready for prime time.

PHEV…I think that is the sweet spot. Electric range usually enough to get thru a fair bit if not all daily around town stuff. Hybrid mode takes care of the long distance stuff. Then depending on electricity rates, gas prices, and the mpg they get…just like there are times it’s more cost effective to plug in and drive electric as much as you can, there have also been times it’s more cost effective to NOT plug in at all and drive straight hybrid. I think those really are the sweet spot for the time being and wish there were more of them both in attainability as far as cost/availability goes and in more makes/models.
Yup. All of the above. And, they aren't building any new power plants when/if there's 20 million cars trying to charge at once something is going to give. IF this wet dream is ever realized the price of gas is going to fall too. Anyone taking bets?

Catmandu

XL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Trim
XL
I'm getting the Lariat hybrid. I'd drop it like a hot rock for a Maverick Lariat EV.

Update... Living with a Maverick Hybrid for last 4 months... Completely charmed and smitten by the Maverick hybrid. At this point I would go with a PHEV vs an EV. If Ford offers a PHEV in the future, with a minimum of 50 miles on battery, we will be a two Maverick family.

Update: Ordered a 2023 Cyber Orange Hybrid Lariat Lux Maverick, 9/20/22. So hopefully at some point in 2023 we will be a two Maverick family. If in 2024 Ford does a PHEV Maverick we will order one and sell/trade in the 2022 Maverick.
Maybe.?... if it didn't it didn't require me to to pony up a lot of dough. I like the 900km range, but in reality I'm more likely to keep it under 300km per trip (so long as I can charge it at the destination!!)

Esteban88

XL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburu Outback, Maverick XL hybrid
Trim
XL
For sure I'd buy an EV Maverick if it was affordable and didn't have to wait two years to get it. Consumer Reports said EV's are far more reliable as long as they aren't laden down with a bunch of tech needed for complex infotainment and other luxury features.