Sponsored

If the Hybrid was offered in AWD, FX4 and Tremor versions just like the EcoBoost which would you buy?

If the hybrid was offered as AWD, FX4, or Tremor would you buy the hybrid version or the ecoboost?

• Total voters

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Assuming the engine cost is the same cost, and the AWD, FX4 or Tremor versions were offered in either hybrid or Ecoboost. So the only difference is the engine / transmission choice.

Better mileage on the hybrid, more horsepower / torque on the EcoBoost.
Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The thing is the AWD hybrid will have more hp than the current hybrid. I'm guessing it will have 220-230 hp. Once that happens it will probably be in the 6 seconds 0-60.

OP
OP

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The thing is the AWD hybrid will have more hp than the current hybrid. I'm guessing it will have 220-230 hp. Once that happens it will probably be in the 6 seconds 0-60.
Why is that? Or maybe how is that done? If they use the same 2.5l engine I mean.

mtd14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Chevy
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mean the fact that 70% or whatever of orders are already hybrid shows which way this would go. The EB is a great option but hybrid is overwhelmingly popular even without additional options.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Problem with a poll like this is you aren't only polling current EcoBoost orderers/buyers. So if ~75% of all orders are for hybrids, and the ratios hold, 75% of your respondents will be those who already chose hybrid, and only 25% will be both those who stick with EcoBoost and those who switch to hybrid per your hypothetical scenario.

AWD doesn't add HP.

FWD and AWD Escape Hybrid have the same 200 HP.

Corsair PHEV is AWD-only, but also has a separate electric motor for the rear wheels which is why it has more HP over Escape PHEV (266 HP for Corsair Grand Touring vs. 221 HP for Escape PHEV).

Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why is that? Or maybe how is that done? If they use the same 2.5l engine I mean.
Maybe stronger electric motors. The escape hybrid AWD has 200 hp vs the 191 on the Maverick and they use the same engine.

OP
OP

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe stronger electric motors. The escape hybrid AWD has 200 hp vs the 191 on the Maverick and they use the same engine.
Does the escape have a separate motor for the rear wheels? That might be the difference.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I picked ecoboost because I like to modify things and the hybrid doesnt lend well to that.

The main thing would the type of hybrid. It would have to have a larger battery pack to last through alot of offroading miles before the motor kicked on.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does the escape have a separate motor for the rear wheels? That might be the difference.
See my post above.

Escape Hybrid AWD uses a conventional AWD system. No added motor, no additional power from the system.

Escape Plug-In Hybrid (FWD only) gets an extra 21 HP as it can provide more power from the bigger battery, etc.

Corsair Grand Touring (PHEV, AWD only) gets an extra 66 HP over base Escape Hybrid (non PHEV) because it has the bigger battery and an additional rear motor. Same 2.5L engine and same HF45 transmission.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The traction motor in the Maverick is rated at 130 HP so in theory they could make the existing power train (or AWD) almost 300hp. It's the battery / electrical that would have to supply more power.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not with the current ice power output, needs to be at least as much as the turbo, hopefully more. One thing people ignore about hybrids is when the battery runs out you are down to the weak NA motor. Towing with a load this will happen quickly.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This exact poll is why ford will probably never do it. AWD maybe but no FX4 or 4K. They would literally make one option obsolete. Oddly enough the "Premium" engine as well.

OP
OP

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not with the current ice power output, needs to be at least as much as the turbo, hopefully more. One thing people ignore about hybrids is when the battery runs out you are down to the weak NA motor. Towing with a load this will happen quickly.
I don't understand what you mean. I don't think hybrids work that way, at least my Prius didn't. The ICE engine and the regen braking charge the battery. The motor runs at first to get you started then the ICE engine takes over as you go faster. So the motor is used when it is the most efficient (slow start) and the engine takes over when it is the most efficient (higher speed, higher revs). On the Prius if you needed to start quick and really stepped down, both system would kick in maximizing power. But other than that it was one or the other.
Of course maybe the Maverick is different?

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't understand what you mean. I don't think hybrids work that way, at least my Prius didn't. The ICE engine and the regen braking charge the battery. The motor runs at first to get you started then the ICE engine takes over as you go faster. So the motor is used when it is the most efficient (slow start) and the engine takes over when it is the most efficient (higher speed, higher revs). On the Prius if you needed to start quick and really stepped down, both system would kick in maximizing power. But other than that it was one or the other.
Of course maybe the Maverick is different?
Its more of how you use it. Stop and go with a light load is the wheel house of a hybrid. Heavy loads/towing and steep terrain will drain the battery and it cant regen quick enough. Its why the F150 hybrid has a powerful turbo engine to fall back on when this happens.
Sponsored