First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Transit 150, 97 Aerostar AWD, future XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And dang it, I must be too old. :eek: For being a cheap system, it does hit the lows and highs pretty well.

I kept reading threads about how weak the stereo system is, and I don't know about yours but I can't turn it up past 12 (on FM) without feeling like I am about to blow my ear drums.

If I am playing off of blue tooth or via stick, it is a little bit quieter and 15 would be max.

Did I get an oddball one, or am I just use to weak systems.
Sponsored

Blue1005

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And dang it, I must be too old. :eek: For being a cheap system, it does hit the lows and highs pretty well.

I kept reading threads about how weak the stereo system is, and I don't know about yours but I can't turn it up past 12 (on FM) without feeling like I am about to blow my ear drums.

If I am playing off of blue tooth or via stick, it is a little bit quieter and 15 would be max.

I agree. I already blew most of my hearing in my 20s witht he big subs and little self confidence. Now all I want to hear is my book on tape.

RJC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
RUSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK CARBO GREY AWD XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When your 20 it's not loud enough, for someone 60 it's perfect.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not really about volume, at least for me. There's so much more to it than that. I will give the XL I owned for a month some credit in that its base audio system was not as painful as they are in some budget vehicles, but it still was not acceptable to my ears.

I already know the B&O system in the Lariat Lux is not going to come close (in terms of accuracy) to the 16-speaker ELS Studio 3D of the Acura or the 14-speaker Lexicon of the G70 it replaced. But I hope it's at least as enjoyable to listen to as some of our past cars with Bose systems.

Sponsored

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

When you get old,71 here,most people just dont hear as good as they used to.so,volume has to be a little bit higher.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I'm in my vehicle with windows rolled up and I can hear your radio like its mine. Yea it's too F..ing loud.

Or the ass clowns that pull up for gas with windows down making a racket the entire gas station can hear ya its too loud.

Im all about volume but keep it to yourself.
New headphones:) are amazing

Thank you

Last edited:

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

For me, at 75, loudness is not the issue, however, sound clarity and acurate reproduction are—at least within reason. With the really poor 4" rear speakers Maverick XL, at least we are getting an average budget sound on the front door speakers and dash tweeters, although on FM signals, it is almost adequate. Listen to a good quality electronic file of the 1812 Overture on a stock Maverick XL sound and you will clearly understand the lack of clarity. It is also apparent when I listen to some of the Beatles more complex arrangements & digital quality recordings.

Even on really decent digital sources, the front speakers do not do the sound quality justice. The booming canons/tympani sound should not have to come from the front door speakers because there is no real midbass sound reproduction from the rear 4" speakers.

I've been looking at replacement speakers for 8 months now. When I can afford replacement speakers, then I will probably buy the Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6-1/2"Component Speakers for the fronts or maybe even the KFC-XP184C 7" for the rear doors.

The ability to listen to speakers at Crutchfield is a great service and I've had a very long history with Kenwood stereo equipment. Shoot I still have a Kenwood KA7100 amp (60w RMS/channel, 0-100 kHz, 0.02% THD) from the 1970s, Kenwood KT-7500tuner/receiver, Marantz Imperial 7 speakers, and a Phillips 212 electronic manual turntable. Oh I also have the usual Sony CD/DVD player, etc.

Since I don't want booming bass where just filling the midbass is enough, I've been looking at unusual places to satisfy my bass needs, like adding some 5" to 7" mid bass speakers to the rear doors.

Another installation I am considering is an Acoustic Research 8" enclosed subwoofer with pretty nice specs. It's a fairly efficient subwoofer with 28hz-150 Hz, 88.9 db sensitivity, Fs 45Hz (Free Air Resonance), and it is in a tuned enclosure, thus the 28 Hz. And, best of all, it is broken in since I bought it back in the 80s. The subwoofer enclosure has left and right 2 channel input. Unusual for a subwoofer, right? Well, not for a home 2.1 setup. It has internal crossovers and feeds two Satellite Speakers with a full range woofer and tweeter. I would remove the speakers and limited electronics from their plastic enclosures to replace the 4" rears and adding some baffling. I would love to see if this home sub and satellites would work in the car environment.

It would be interesting to use a mini/micro four channel amp like the Sony XM-S400D, Kenwood KACM-1814, or Blaupunkt AMP1804BT. I like all three however, the Kenwood tested at 48w. The KA-7100 amp was more than enough to drive the sub and satellite speakers, plus the Marantz Studios. The amplifier would have to drive rear channels that includes the sub and 2 full range speaker setup. Interestingly, best tested RMS of the three is the Blaupunkt at 67 watts RMS and the Sony tested to 60w RMS, so either of those would be great. Compared to the factory output of the Radio 60w or 67w might be more than enough.

Well, we all can dream a little. :cool:

Last edited:

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have plenty of hearing damage from loud music & years of powersports use, the Maverick base system is pretty good sounding to me, I added a usb powered cd player & I can't believe the bass & volume I can get out of those simple door speakers playing cd's. I am still planning to add aftermarket door speakers that can handle a bit more when time permits.

Sponsored

JaxMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am 49 and I think the sound system base or B&O is crap.

Especially comparing it to my stock system in my 2015 Elantra.

Glad you all like it but for me its garbage and I replaced everything, but the rear speakers as I just fade the signal to the front. I put in after market amp using LoC, a custom sub enclosure with 10" sub that fits in the storage bin behind the driver seat and a cheap dsp that works really well. Now I am content with the sound.

The Elantra I just added a sub and amp which was super cheap compared to the Maverick. Elantra cost me only $500 total for amp and sub.

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or the ass clowns that pull up for gas with windows down making a racket the entire gas station can hear ya its too loud.
It's not so much that the rest of the gas station "can" hear that clown, but that the rest of the gas station HAS to hear him. That person is being an obnoxious jerk, a bully, and isn't even trying to get along with the rest of us.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's not you, the sound quantity is adequate. Anything more than what you need is not music- it's noise.

Caper

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting that no one seems to consider the quality of the input. Unless your music is coming in at high quality like CDs or lossless compression as compared to MP3, a better system will not help much. For now I have resigned to the fact that I have accepted convenience of the MP3 over better quality that I used to have with CDs and vinyl. Having my whole music library on small memory card is hard to beat though.

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not so much that the rest of the gas station "can" hear that clown, but that the rest of the gas station HAS to hear him. That person is being an obnoxious jerk, a bully, and isn't even trying to get along with the rest of us.
Try this: When the blasting "music" is happening, make sure he can see you. Open and close your mouth like you are speaking but don't actually say anything. When he turns down the "music" to hear and says "Huh?", just say, never mind and walk away.
Sponsored