clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd be down as long as the "P" stood for Passive charge. If I can set my smart phone on a puch why can't I drive over a puck and get inductive charge?
Heat losses are significant if I’m not mistaken.
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hard to get much more efficient than a resistive heater. Heat pumps are technically more efficient, but fall off by sub-zero so some EVs like Hyundai's still rely on both.

TimmH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I'd be down as long as the "P" stood for Passive charge. If I can set my smart phone on a puch why can't I drive over a puck and get inductive charge?
I see that as in the near future, where parking lots will have spaces marked like Handicap spaces are now, that have wireless chargers in them, just pull in and an trickle charge.

There are already companies offering 3rd party solutions.

OP
OP
austinzone

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I cannot see an immediate future for inductive charging. it is not efficient, generates heat, and still requires something to touch something to work properly.

With a PHEV I dont have to plug in. I dont have to look for a charger - but if one is open in a parking lot I can choose to use it. Its a choice to.

At home - no issue plugging it in. Even if I forget to - it doesnt matter.

Moving to all electric is a horrific idea - it puts way too much power in our leaders hands. Its also insanely bad for the environment - and it isnt conducive to long term ownership or recycling.

What I wish - is for auto manufacturers to standardize hybrid and PHEV batteries - and commit to a form factor and wiring harness so these vehicles can be kept on the road for a long time.

EV chassis designed around a proprietary battery are - for the time being - an awful idea.

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Maverick Id rather have a PHEV Maverick 1659465175717

"It's got no range, has a limited payload and is a horrible idea that has no future" (1904 naysayers without vision)

Sponsored

TimmH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler

Moving to all electric is a horrific idea - it puts way too much power in our leaders hands. Its also insanely bad for the environment - and it isnt conducive to long term ownership or recycling.
How does it do that? Fuel is not necessarily easy to acquire alternatively and the government can easily control the prices of it, not to mention fuel taxes.

I have solar at home, so I could charge with no 3rd party involved.

I was looking at the lightning for the backup power option, being in Florida and all.

As far as recycling, there are companies that are recycling the batteries and recovering 99% of the original metals. Like anything, it takes time for these things to become mainstream. But it has to start somewhere. Batteries should last 10-20 years, which we should have the recycling program figured out by then, not to mention newer battery tech that is on the horizon.

What I wish - is for auto manufacturers to standardize hybrid and PHEV batteries - and commit to a form factor and wiring harness so these vehicles can be kept on the road for a long time.

EV chassis designed around a proprietary battery are - for the time being - an awful idea.
"Awful" is a strong word. I do think hybrid and PHEV are ALSO necessary, because there are some scenarios where EV just won't be the best choice, haulers, towing, long distance, but I also see cases where EVs are great solutions.

In my case I drive 20 miles each way to work. A little to far for most PHEV to make on a single charge, and typically don't drive more than 80-100 miles in a day. Longest drive is my 120is miles drive to Fort Lauderdale a couple times a year, which is my other main concern with the Lightning other than a Full size truck is overkill for my needs.

I was planning on ordering a Maverick this year, but my Jeep is only 4 years old, and I typically keep a vehicle 8-10 years, so I think I will hold out and see what they do with the Maverick and Ranger in the next couple years in regards to PHEV or EVs.

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

1659465175717.png

"It's got no range, has a limited payload and is a horrible idea that has no future" (1904 naysayers without vision)
Exactly. We heard all the same resistance to power windows & locks, seat belts, ABS, airbags, GPS, etc. And how many lives were saved/improved due to these things relative to how very, very few of the predicted problems ever materialized?

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If they put a bigger battery in the regular hybrid wouldn't that also increase the milage. So instead of getting 42 city it could get 50+ city?

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would rather have a Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo but we all can't be winners kiddo 🤪

Ford Maverick Id rather have a PHEV Maverick -GTS-Sport-Turismo-front-three-quarter-Porsche-pic

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
PHEV is nice, but I think Ford needs to figure out the battery supply issues it is currently having with the Hybrid before introducing more electric Mavericks to further strain the system.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If they put a bigger battery in the regular hybrid wouldn't that also increase the milage. So instead of getting 42 city it could get 50+ city?
No because the power that goes into the battery all came from the ICE at some point.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No because the power that goes into the battery all came from the ICE at some point.
If it had a bigger battery wouldn't that mean it would just run on the battery more?

Deleted member 1483

Exactly.

I treat the electric only in my hybrid basically as a way to extend how long I can coast. It really only needs to be powerful enough or last long enough to be useful. Not to replace the gas engine. I think that even in a hybrid maintaining momentum is the best way to improve fuel economy.

I am not too interested in a plug-in because I think the extra up front costs negate a lot of the savings unless I take only short trips.
Sponsored