First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just ordered a lariat hybrid and I am wondering for you others from the southwest, how do they handle highways like i10 with the wind and 80+ mph? I live south of silver city and I am on I-10 from the to time. Looking for some insight.
Sponsored

RockHoundTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You should plan on your gas mileage really, really sucking and being no-where near the published figures. There is a great Youtube video from one of the members here where he drove the same stretch of road at different speeds and measured MPG. No problems driving at 75MPH but the MPG dropped off quickly at anything above 60MPH.

There is another thread on here about someone driving to Corpus Christi, Texas and not being happy with their MPG. This is a fairly straight, fairly flat stretch of 75MPH highway but tends to have a head-wind. The conclusion was that his MPG figures seemed very reasonable. If you plan to be driving 70+ MPH for long distances, there is probably a point where the EcoBoost actually starts getting better MPG than the hybrid.

There are LOTS of threads on here about fuel usage and related speed so those will likely tell you what you want to know. Lots of folks talk about doing long trips at 75+ in their Maverick with no problems (other than impact to MPG).

MaveLick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM REBEL (Soon to be Maverick)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not familiar with the location. However in West Texas on I-20, I had to give extra 5-10 seconds just to be safe when passing at speed over 65 mph. Good luck with that. I only got around 28 mpg on I-20. I sold my HB and still waiting for EB.

I would have loved the HB if my previous ride was something without power like 120 hp, 0-60 @9.9 sec, and no one wants to talk about the torque. Maverick 2.5L engine alone will give 162 hp. Comparing the weight and hp of subcompact cars to Maverick numbers should give some ideas while waiting for a test drive.

Last edited:

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hose down I-10 pretty regularly in my 2.0, it handles high speeds of 80+ very well and rides it easy. Wind buffeting is hella annoying but doesn't ruin my day if the weather isn't bullshit hot & humid. Mileage does tend to tank after 75mph but if you pay attention to your pedal you can eke out decent sips, my last run to Houston I made it about 27mpg hand-calculated (dash said 28.3 and 29 in two different screens) but the road was mostly clear for coasting and headwind wasn't too bad.

OP
OP

Wymanaj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the heads up! I drive mostly in town.

Sponsored

DoomBuggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just ordered a lariat hybrid and I am wondering for you others from the southwest, how do they handle highways like i10 with the wind and 80+ mph? I live south of silver city and I am on I-10 from the to time. Looking for some insight.
I've driven mine on the highway (including I 10) a couple of times and I think it drives great. Don't recall MPG but it was in the mid-to-high 30s, I believe.
DH

Kath

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just took a trip from Phoenix to T and C. Yes, the mpg tanked, about an average of 36 for the round trip. I did have some wind buffering. Absolutely loved the adaptive cruise control. I had it set at 75. It slowed for traffic but rebounded quickly when I passed. I thought this truck would feel sluggish after my F150 EB but I was surprised at how well it responded.
Sponsored