First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have found the SC to be a very nice vehicle and very well priced for what one gets. Looks are in the eyes of the beholder. The SEL trim level with Activity package is around 34K which is 3 grand more than the Mav XLT FX/4 LUX that I currently have on order, but the SC offers much more for the 3K such as moonroof, retractable tonneau, wireless CarPlay, Digital dash which is awesome looking, and very cool, more tech and don't forget that 5/60 warranty. So yeah more money, but more features. Cannot special order a SC in the USA but I have found dealer orders for SC that are in the pipeline are usually not taken so one can be found. MSRP at my local dealer which is something that will not happen too often with Ford.

But I am sticking with the Maverick that I have ordered and may or may not get as I want the FX/4 package and something that looks more like a conventional looking truck which suits my needs better.

However, should my order turn into vaporware, I will be forced to look again at the SC. Cannot wait forever.
Sponsored

gwrace14651

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

We ordered the Maverick hybrid as it can be flat towed. You can't do that with a Santa Cruz. Probably does not matter to those who don't have a motorhome.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have found the SC to be a very nice vehicle and very well priced for what one gets. Looks are in the eyes of the beholder. The SEL trim level with Activity package is around 34K which is 3 grand more than the Mav XLT FX/4 LUX that I currently have on order, but the SC offers much more for the 3K such as moonroof, retractable tonneau, wireless CarPlay, Digital dash which is awesome looking, and very cool, more tech and don't forget that 5/60 warranty. So yeah more money, but more features. Cannot special order a SC in the USA but I have found dealer orders for SC that are in the pipeline are usually not taken so one can be found. MSRP at my local dealer which is something that will not happen too often with Ford.

But I am sticking with the Maverick that I have ordered and may or may not get as I want the FX/4 package and something that looks more like a conventional looking truck which suits my needs better.

However, should my order turn into vaporware, I will be forced to look again at the SC. Cannot wait forever.
Exact same boat. To add to the pressure... We just traded my Edge in last night. Got my wife a Rogue. I'll be driving her old Altima until my Maverick comes in. Edge had 140k miles and we were going to need to do some service/repairs. Didn't want to spend 15% of its value on service with no guarantee on life. Traded it in while I could still get some value. Got a super clean '17 Rogue with 40k miles and a ton of new to my wife features.

While an Altima isn't a bad car, I hate sedans as my daily driver. Can't wait for the Maverick to arrive.

Alan Help

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion 2013
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I too have been watching the SC. took a Sel for a drive yesterday and the Sel P 2 days before.
My Ford dealer is also a Hyundai dealer as well. So i got to test drive the Maverick EB as well.
These are my thoughts the Maverick gives a lot for the money the SEL has the 2.5 Liter. I found it jumped up to 5,000 RPMs very quickly while going up a road. I normally don't drive above 3,000 RPM unless passing or something like that, so it scared me that it jumped up to 5,000 RPMs as quick as it did. the Sel P did not do that. Additionally the noise on the cement roads was really loud. The Ride in the Santa Cruz was slightly better than the Maverick the interior was much nicer than the Maverick. The dealer here adds a ceramic coat on all of their non customer order adding 2,000 to the MSRP. So all said in done the SC SEL, AWD, Sport package was 34,500, MSRP, With add ons and dealer processing fee 37,000. Sales Tax 3,700. Registration and fees about $700. Intrest .09% for 48 months. My Lariat Hybrid with lux package should be about 31800. Fees 500, Sales tax 3180? Registration and fees about $640.
The SC has a moon Roof and Tanauan Cover, extra space under the bed, 10 year drive train warranty, less space behind the front seat, and a slightly shorter bed auto tail gate Free oil changes for 3 years. Got to see them Side by side. If I could get that SC SEL for 32000 i would buy it in a heart beat. I would still do it for 33,000. I might even streatch it to the 34,500. I would not go the additional $2,000.

This is going to be my daily driver and also my new hunting rig the cost to drive down to Dodge city area in my old F150 to do 3 days of bird hunting and driving back home last year was 1,300 miles and cost me just under 400 for gas alone. I would love to make the trip on 30 gallons of gas or about $115.

So as you can see the verdict is not in yet. If i were to get a good offer on the Santa cruz I would make the change. Otherwise i am still in limbo still waiting for a build date on my Maverick. IF lucky I may get it by my birthday only 18 months after my order.

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I too have been watching the SC. took a Sel for a drive yesterday and the Sel P 2 days before.
My Ford dealer is also a Hyundai dealer as well. So i got to test drive the Maverick EB as well.
These are my thoughts the Maverick gives a lot for the money the SEL has the 2.5 Liter. I found it jumped up to 5,000 RPMs very quickly while going up a road. I normally don't drive above 3,000 RPM unless passing or something like that, so it scared me that it jumped up to 5,000 RPMs as quick as it did. the Sel P did not do that. Additionally the noise on the cement roads was really loud. The Ride in the Santa Cruz was slightly better than the Maverick the interior was much nicer than the Maverick. The dealer here adds a ceramic coat on all of their non customer order adding 2,000 to the MSRP. So all said in done the SC SEL, AWD, Sport package was 34,500, MSRP, With add ons and dealer processing fee 37,000. Sales Tax 3,700. Registration and fees about $700. Intrest .09% for 48 months. My Lariat Hybrid with lux package should be about 31800. Fees 500, Sales tax 3180? Registration and fees about $640.
The SC has a moon Roof and Tanauan Cover, extra space under the bed, 10 year drive train warranty, less space behind the front seat, and a slightly shorter bed auto tail gate Free oil changes for 3 years. Got to see them Side by side. If I could get that SC SEL for 32000 i would buy it in a heart beat. I would still do it for 33,000. I might even streatch it to the 34,500. I would not go the additional $2,000.

This is going to be my daily driver and also my new hunting rig the cost to drive down to Dodge city area in my old F150 to do 3 days of bird hunting and driving back home last year was 1,300 miles and cost me just under 400 for gas alone. I would love to make the trip on 30 gallons of gas or about $115.

So as you can see the verdict is not in yet. If i were to get a good offer on the Santa cruz I would make the change. Otherwise i am still in limbo still waiting for a build date on my Maverick. IF lucky I may get it by my birthday only 18 months after my order.
I know nothing about the the ""Sport Package". That must be something the dealer has come up with or you meant the Activity Package.

If going up a mountain had the engine jump to 5000RPM there is something wrong with the truck if you are speaking about the SEL non-turbo model. I just drove one home 300 miles and went up mountains, down mountains and plenty of curves and never came close to that. It ran between 2000-3000 RPM and when we could we were moving at between 60-75 MPH. Something is either seriously wrong if the SEL AWD did that or perhaps it was in sport mode which is supposed to make it quicker but I've never used it to confirm it would jump to 5000RPM. What mode was the truck in?

I drove mine in normal and econo mode and never saw anything like that and it ran nice and was not loud at all. Since the SC has an acoustic windshield to help reduce noise as well as insulation in the engine hood to help quiet it as well. I thought mine ran stiffer then I expected because it had no load in the bed of the truck but definitely not a bad ride.

Drop the SEL to a front wheel drive with the Activity Package with carpeted mats and tow hitch and you get an MSRP of $33,000. Obviously you must be getting the private offer on the Maverick for the MSRP you quoted because when I build a Maverick Hybrid with Luxury Package MSRP is $33355.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's the SEL Premium.

The SEL is $27,790 before destination. That's the trim we've been discussion that compares well with Maverick.
Note to hybrid guys - this doesn't apply to you. Hyundai doesn't have anything like the Maverick Hybrid right now. Got that. Please be happy with your hybrid and don't carpet bomb me because the SC doesn't get 40 mpg. Neither does my Mav Ecoboost.
Ahhh OK - their website is a bit strange. It defaults to the top 3 trim levels like my screenshot and you have to scroll left to see the lower trim levels. If Hyundai comes up with a hybrid then I agree its a different comparison. They also would be in the same shape Ford is in trying to fill hybrid orders.

Personally I wouldn't have bought a Maverick that was in the 20 mpg range - the gas mileage was really the determining factor but I certainly would have considered the SC if they had a model getting close to the hybrid Mav mpg.

Alan Help

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion 2013
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know nothing about the the ""Sport Package". That must be something the dealer has come up with or you meant the Activity Package.

If going up a mountain had the engine jump to 5000RPM there is something wrong with the truck if you are speaking about the SEL non-turbo model. I just drove one home 300 miles and went up mountains, down mountains and plenty of curves and never came close to that. It ran between 2000-3000 RPM and when we could we were moving at between 60-75 MPH. Something is either seriously wrong if the SEL AWD did that or perhaps it was in sport mode which is supposed to make it quicker but I've never used it to confirm it would jump to 5000RPM. What mode was the truck in?

I drove mine in normal and econo mode and never saw anything like that and it ran nice and was not loud at all. Since the SC has an acoustic windshield to help reduce noise as well as insulation in the engine hood to help quiet it as well. I thought mine ran stiffer then I expected because it had no load in the bed of the truck but definitely not a bad ride.

Drop the SEL to a front wheel drive with the Activity Package with carpeted mats and tow hitch and you get an MSRP of $33,000. Obviously you must be getting the private offer on the Maverick for the MSRP you quoted because when I build a Maverick Hybrid with Luxury Package MSRP is $33355.
you are right on all three counts
1. it was the activity package, 2. I did put it into sport and was not aware the RPMS would go up that quick and forgot about that until I saw your post. 3. The price quote on my maverick is from last Oct so i am expecting to get the same price or close to it.

Thank you. You know what you are talking about.

Cphil0909

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Chevy Camaro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had two come thru my bodyshop, both extremely low miles and both had paint peeling on the inner door panels where you grab to pull the door shut. I'm talking less than 3k miles. It's a Hyundai, no thank you.
Hyundai is replacing the door panels under warranty because it’s a known issue.

Padanky

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hyundai is replacing the door panels under warranty because it’s a known issue.

Still a no for me. We got my Wife a base Lexus NX in 15' and her friends got Hyundai with more options but were always in the shop for warranty work. 7 years later and Wife's NX has yet to be back at dealer besides for oil changes. Her friends have all left their Hyundai for other makes.

I work in auto collision industry for 20+ years and repair every make and model available, old and new.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It puzzles a lot of people in the automotive press why Hyundai sticks with their DCT for turbos. I noticed they changed the 23 Seltos turbo to use a conventional automatic, and the auto press loved it. If they did that for the turbo SC, a lot of us would consider it a big step forward. They could drop the piano black and use fewer touch controls too.

Same comments as the previous poster. Hyundai sweetened the deal for 23. They tend to do that. Every year they put in more content than the last over the various trims.
The Hyundai/Kia 1.6T paired with the dry clutch 7-speed DCT is probably their most reliable powertrain over the past several years. That doesn't mean it is #1 in customer satisfaction. One of my friends is a Kia master tech and according to him he almost never sees a failure of either of these, but failures of the other powertrains are quite common.

I've had 2 vehicles with this powertrain and I like it, but I do question Hyundai's wisdom for using it. Most people buying cars in these categories just want to drive them like automatics and for them to behave like automatics, but you can't and they don't.

It's the MY24 Seltos that is getting a facelift and the new 8AT. The MY23 still uses the DCT.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think Hyundai recently transitioned to a wet clutch for their DCT. I'm still not a fan, having owned a Kia with a DCT. Never failed me, but it is a weird transmission to live with. It's fast - I had the turbo and it genuinely moved out in a hurry. But now and then it will hesitate because you caught it in the wrong gears at a stoplight.

I noticed Hyundai moved one of their newer models off the DCT to a conventional automatic. Hope that makes it to the SC when it's refreshed in a year or two. And of course it'd be great if they offer the their plug in hybrid or BEV powertrain, which is available for that platform. If they deliver a PHEV, a standard automatic, and lose a lot of piano black - the SC would be vastly more appealing to anyone who's into that styling or just doesn't care about styling.

There's a whole lot to be said for a car that can be sitting in your driveway, as opposed to being on your computer screen.

MRickDetroit

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I never thought it looked good at all but I've seen a few in person and they aren't bad! Today I saw a lifted one and it looked nice... Not this one, but thought I'd see was on the internet.
Ford Maverick I took a look at a Santa Cruz today - I was very impressed Screenshot_20221206_192852_Chrome

Jmbc88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
This posting is for those of you on the forum who, like me, are still not quite sure about the Maverick (and like me, you might have one on order). But maybe you haven't looked at the Santa Cruz in person because you don't like the styling or think it's too expensive.

This is NOT intended as some kind of antagonistic posting to troll Maverick owners. Folks, I have a Maverick on order and a Ford Ranger in my driveway. I'm a lifelong Ford truck guy (well, I'm wavering).

I placed my order 3 Sep of last year. I ordered a Maverick because I preferred the conventional styling, the slightly longer bed, and the really powerful Ecoboost engine with a conventional automatic. I like my little luxuries, so the bottom line for the XLT ECO 360 LUX SIBL, including delivery, is $30,500. But I've been kind of wincing at how cheap Ford went on everything. I've seen the truck in person, and it definitely does not impress. And the postings here just reinforce that constantly.

- EDIT BY OP - I was wrong in the next para. The equivalent build SC is $400 more than my Maverick build, not $2,000 cheaper.

So I decided that darn it, I was gonna go check out the competition. I went to look at a similarly equipped Santa Cruz SEL that costs about $2,000 LESS than the Maverick I have on order. Long story short, it impressed.
  • The Santa Cruz is way more appealing in person than in pictures. I liked it a lot. It has presence. A neighbor has one and loves it. It looks good going down the street.
  • I was impressed by little things, like a composite bed and sound insulation under the hood. And a waterproof storage compartment in the bed.
  • Closing the doors, hood, or tailgate on the Maverick vs the Santa Cruz just screams "CHEAP". I'm not being a troll here, the quality difference just jumped out at me in a big way. I don't necessarily hate cheap. My crude 2010 Ranger is cheap, and I've loved that cheap hunk of junk for 102,000 safe and reliable miles.
  • The CP360 safety features I want, like blind spot, etc - they're all standard on the Santa Cruz.
  • All the rotary shift haters will roll their eyes, but I wish the Santa Cruz didn't have a conventional shift lever. It looks like an antique.
  • The interior just blew the Maverick out of the water. Except for the stupid piano black. I mean there was no comparison - these vehicles are not in the same league. The higher quality of the rear view camera really stood out. The software just blows the Ford out of the water.
  • The bed had higher sides and was a half foot shorter. I don't care about the length, but I prefer the Maverick sides. Easier for a boomer to reach into the bed.
  • The paint quality really impressed. Again, quality of materials jumped out at me everywhere I looked.
  • I loved the little foot step indents in the bumper
  • Same bed cubbies and lighting as the Maverick
  • A bit smaller in the rear seat. Which is a non-issue for me as I really want a two door trucket in the first place.
  • Mileage wasn't all that different from the Eco I ordered. And again, you give up a lot of horsepower on the lower trim Santa Cruz trucklets. So not for those who thirst after horsepower.
Bottom line is that I walked away seriously impressed with the lower trim Santa Cruz SEL. I have no build date for my constrained Maverick order and I need a Hobbit Truck sooner than later. And I walked away from the in-person review thinking "I can save $2,000 and get the same functionality sooner and with a ten year warranty". On the other hand, I'm thinking "Or I could stick with the Maverick and have all that horsepower and no piano black (but cheap hard plastics)". I'm thinking it over.

Bottom line. If you're wavering like me, I'd say go test drive a Santa Cruz in one of the lower trims (SE or SEL). You might find yourself pleasantly surprised. I'd love to hear the impressions of others who actually physically compared the two cars (sorry, trucks).
That's a very good point about the fires!

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ehicles-outside-due-to-fire-risk-a1002120529/

There are 200,000+ vehicle fires in the USA every year. I'll look into that recall and see if it applies the 2.5 non-turbo in the Santa Cruz SEL. But generally Hyundai has the highest quality ratings in the industry (Ford is well down the list). I'm usually not worried about things like this where there's already been a recall. Because that problem has been identified and solved. It's always the problem that hasn't been recalled that worries me.

All manufacturers have problems like that. For example, Ford was exposed for deliberately selling dangerous vehicles by the Detroit Free Press just a few years back.

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/mone...-focus-fiesta-transmission-defect/1671198001/

And then there's Chevrolet telling Bolt owners to park outside until the battery is replaced! That cost Chevy a pretty penny. Guest the Bolt program didn't make any money.

I guess caveat emptor always applies.
That's a very good point about the fires!

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ehicles-outside-due-to-fire-risk-a1002120529/

There are 200,000+ vehicle fires in the USA every year. I'll look into that recall and see if it applies the 2.5 non-turbo in the Santa Cruz SEL. But generally Hyundai has the highest quality ratings in the industry (Ford is well down the list). I'm usually not worried about things like this where there's already been a recall. Because that problem has been identified and solved. It's always the problem that hasn't been recalled that worries me.

All manufacturers have problems like that. For example, Ford was exposed for deliberately selling dangerous vehicles by the Detroit Free Press just a few years back.

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/mone...-focus-fiesta-transmission-defect/1671198001/

And then there's Chevrolet telling Bolt owners to park outside until the battery is replaced! That cost Chevy a pretty penny. Guest the Bolt program didn't make any money.

I guess caveat emptor always applies.

I ordered a loaded Hybrid FE in July 2021. I got tired of waiting and bought SC SEL with activity package last November. I absolutely loved the SC but dealer called and my FE came in a few days ago. One look and one test drive and I decided to trade SC in on hybrid FE. So far I love it but I can tell you first hand, I put 25k on SC in last year and
I absolutely loved it. I don’t think you can go wrong with waiter l

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I never thought it looked good at all but I've seen a few in person and they aren't bad! Today I saw a lifted one and it looked nice... Not this one, but thought I'd see was on the internet.
Screenshot_20221206_192852_Chrome.jpg
While I don't hate the Santa Cruz design, those wheels just look silly on it. Then again I've seen people put lift kits and crazy wheels on Priuses, so whatever. 😄

mrbill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 kia soul- 2023 santa cruz SE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
after waiting over 14 months and still no Maverick, I almost got a santa cruz, the local dealer finally will see at sticker, the ONLY one I would want is the base SE about $26000 w shipping. they had one it lasted one day, they have others WAY more $34,000-$42,000 , I think the SE sell as soon as they hit the lot, so we wait some more !!
Sponsored