Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On a side note the AWD S/C can't hang with the Maverick off-road...
Sponsored

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hard pass. Look at their historical and current recalls related to vehicle fires. There have been serious injuries including deaths. Like this they have to give long warranties or else people wouldn't step into their death traps. I believe the SC is based on one of those recalled vehicles. Amazing the "cheaper" feeling Maverick is safer than the "top quality" Hyundai.

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably a little more expensive than that.

From the website linked by numike it looks like it is $1850 for 8 years/100,000k warranty with zero deductible (as far as I know if you buy this you arent buying another 8 years after the 3 years that come with it from the factory, you are really only buying another 5 years past the standard 3 year). That is still 2 years shy of the Hyundai if that matters at all.

But yeah, like I said earlier, for anyone that is trying to compare them in terms of price and whatnot, one could factor in the extra 1500-2000 extended warranty. Maverick or Santa Cruz, I plan on keeping it for that long, if not longer, so when comparing them I personally factor this price difference in, because I would definitely be buying it on the Mav. But thats just me. I know many on here have expressed that in their minds it is a waste of money.
The ESP plan is more inclusive, transferable and can be cancelled - The 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz has a five-year/60,000-mile limited warranty and a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty.
Powertrain Warranty (10 Years/100,000 Miles)
This Hyundai warranty covers both the repairs and replacements of all the major powertrain components. Parts must be originally manufactured and/or installed by the automaker. With this coverage, you have protection for the engine, transmission, and transaxle. Just remember that the coverage doesn’t automatically transfer to the subsequent owner, but instead is reduced to 5 years/60,000 miles.
However both are great autos - I am a Ford and Toyota fan. If Toyota had a small hybrid truck I am sure I would have bought it instead of my Maverick, I just hope i will love it the way i love our Escape’s.

Last edited:

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought of another pro, if you are someone like me that is interested in the non-turbo, and are comparing it to the ecoboost. You wont have to do the walnut blasting that many around here talk about being needed on turbo engines.

Another pro is that Hyundai is currently offering 3 years of complimentary maintenance on new vehicle purchases. From what they say, that includes Oil Changes, Tire Rotations, Oil Filter Replacements, Multi-Point Inspections
This isn’t worth but $50.00. When you buy a new Ford you get Ford Pass points that will cover two “the works” service intervals. That will be at 10K, and 20K miles. At my dealership this costs $43.00 and it includes everything Hyundai is offering.

Quote from Hyundai website - “Covers basic factory maintenance for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first, for the Normal maintenance scheduled intervals listed in the vehicle Owner’s Manual. Service will only include oil change, oil filter change, tire rotation, and multi-point inspection.”

not really a big deal.

Sponsored

mmahathy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Ranger XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This posting is for those of you on the forum who, like me, are still not quite sure about the Maverick (and like me, you might have one on order). But maybe you haven't looked at the Santa Cruz in person because you don't like the styling or think it's too expensive.

This is NOT intended as some kind of antagonistic posting to troll Maverick owners. Folks, I have a Maverick on order and a Ford Ranger in my driveway. I'm a lifelong Ford truck guy (well, I'm wavering).

I placed my order 3 Sep of last year. I ordered a Maverick because I preferred the conventional styling, the slightly longer bed, and the really powerful Ecoboost engine with a conventional automatic. I like my little luxuries, so the bottom line for the XLT ECO 360 LUX SIBL, including delivery, is $30,500. But I've been kind of wincing at how cheap Ford went on everything. I've seen the truck in person, and it definitely does not impress. And the postings here just reinforce that constantly.

- EDIT BY OP - I was wrong in the next para. The equivalent build SC is $400 more than my Maverick build, not $2,000 cheaper.

So I decided that darn it, I was gonna go check out the competition. I went to look at a similarly equipped Santa Cruz SEL that costs about $2,000 LESS than the Maverick I have on order. Long story short, it impressed.
  • The Santa Cruz is way more appealing in person than in pictures. I liked it a lot. It has presence. A neighbor has one and loves it. It looks good going down the street.
  • I was impressed by little things, like a composite bed and sound insulation under the hood. And a waterproof storage compartment in the bed.
  • Closing the doors, hood, or tailgate on the Maverick vs the Santa Cruz just screams "CHEAP". I'm not being a troll here, the quality difference just jumped out at me in a big way. I don't necessarily hate cheap. My crude 2010 Ranger is cheap, and I've loved that cheap hunk of junk for 102,000 safe and reliable miles.
  • The CP360 safety features I want, like blind spot, etc - they're all standard on the Santa Cruz.
  • All the rotary shift haters will roll their eyes, but I wish the Santa Cruz didn't have a conventional shift lever. It looks like an antique.
  • The interior just blew the Maverick out of the water. Except for the stupid piano black. I mean there was no comparison - these vehicles are not in the same league. The higher quality of the rear view camera really stood out. The software just blows the Ford out of the water.
  • The bed had higher sides and was a half foot shorter. I don't care about the length, but I prefer the Maverick sides. Easier for a boomer to reach into the bed.
  • The paint quality really impressed. Again, quality of materials jumped out at me everywhere I looked.
  • I loved the little foot step indents in the bumper
  • Same bed cubbies and lighting as the Maverick
  • A bit smaller in the rear seat. Which is a non-issue for me as I really want a two door trucket in the first place.
  • Mileage wasn't all that different from the Eco I ordered. And again, you give up a lot of horsepower on the lower trim Santa Cruz trucklets. So not for those who thirst after horsepower.
Bottom line is that I walked away seriously impressed with the lower trim Santa Cruz SEL. I have no build date for my constrained Maverick order and I need a Hobbit Truck sooner than later. And I walked away from the in-person review thinking "I can save $2,000 and get the same functionality sooner and with a ten year warranty". On the other hand, I'm thinking "Or I could stick with the Maverick and have all that horsepower and no piano black (but cheap hard plastics)". I'm thinking it over.

Bottom line. If you're wavering like me, I'd say go test drive a Santa Cruz in one of the lower trims (SE or SEL). You might find yourself pleasantly surprised. I'd love to hear the impressions of others who actually physically compared the two cars (sorry, trucks).
For the record the build of my Maverick is solid and rugged! Doesn’t feel cheap at all!

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
From what I have seen on their forums, the two top trims (Limited and Premium) dont come with wireless carplay. Only the two lower trims have it. (SE and SEL)

https://www.santacruzforums.com/thr...to-apple-carplay-on-limited.7824/#post-167399

https://www.santacruzforums.com/threads/wireless-carplay-reason-why-ultimate-limited-isn’t-equipped-really-petty-dispute🙄.9536/#post-192297

I dont know if it is different for the Canadian version, which seems to have some major differences when compared to the US models. For example, all version of it in Canada are AWD and the only option is for the turbo version.

Last edited:

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For the record the build of my Maverick is solid and rugged! Doesn’t feel cheap at all!
I really don't get that comment, like at all. The only thing the OP left out of their initial post was a link to the SC Forums. Seriously he should just go buy one of those.

Funny enough, one of the first cars I saw after picking up my Mav was a SC. Zero regrets about going with the Mav, would never have seriously considered an SC. Would have considered a Ranger or Base F150, but couldn't find one of those on a lot either while waiting on my Mav.

mleugene

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 550, Flex
Drove several hours to look at a Santa Cruz that the dealer claimed he had on his lot, of course he didn't. I started to hear the same thing from him that I've heard from my Ford deal, "we don't have one, but we can get one, how long with that take? Well, not long at all, probably, wellll, maybe, or maybe not."

Sponsored

Cphil0909

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Chevy Camaro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Let me preface this by saying I was a member of this forum before I made a decision to purchase any vehicle. I wasn’t really in the market for a new vehicle but saw a Ford commercial about selecting a model and options online and thought it would be nice to have a small truck for Home Depot runs instead of throwing mulch in the trunk of my Camaro. Before February of this year I didn’t know the Maverick or Santa Cruz even existed. I soon learned the process of obtaining a Maverick was like roping a unicorn. There was no way to even order one until August and then up to a year before hopefully a delivery without considering the last minute stealer markup. I soon came across videos of the Maverick vs Santa Cruz and started considering it as an option. The price was a little more than I had in mind after Maverick shopping but had many features standard that were options on the Maverick. I went to see one at my local Hyundai dealer which also happens to own the Ford dealer and was genuinely impressed. The composite bed, safety features, water tight bed storage, the tight seal when I shut the doors and it just looks cool. Seeing one online doesn’t do the Santa Cruz justice. Unfortunately that dealer wanted 5K over msrp and $1,800 of bogus dealer add ons. Same with their Ford dealer on the Maverick. I love Ford’s legacy and always try to buy American but at the end of the day, the Santa Cruz is built in Alabama and the Maverick, well, Mexico. Long story short, I ended up working with a dealer over two hours away from home that called me when an Ice White Santa Cruz SEL came in on the truck. Got it for just over 29K with no markup or dealer add ons and good money for my trade in. Glad I did it two months ago since now interest rates are going up which could have killed a deal waiting for a custom order. I’ve seen a few Mavericks around but never got to drive or even sit in one. Still I can say I have no regrets and love nearly everything about my Santa Cruz. Sorry for the rant. Just wanted to share my thoughts being a lifelong 57 year old car enthusiast. If you purchased a Maverick and love it, congratulations. If not, just maybe check out the competition and you may be pleasantly surprised and save some time and frustration.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hard pass. Look at their historical and current recalls related to vehicle fires. There have been serious injuries including deaths. Like this they have to give long warranties or else people wouldn't step into their death traps. I believe the SC is based on one of those recalled vehicles. Amazing the "cheaper" feeling Maverick is safer than the "top quality" Hyundai.
No, the Santa Cruz is a brand new chassis and engine called their SmartStream series, whereas that article is related to the Theta II. The jury is still out on whether or not it will be reliable, but it is all new.
From what I have seen on their forums, the two top trims (Limited and Premium) dont come with wireless carplay. Only the two lower trims have it. (SE and SEL)
I'm on both forums and can confirm, Hyundai/Kia keep saying they will add it, but year after year they don't. Even the new 2023 Kia Sportage still doesn't have it. That said, you can buy little dongles you plug into the USB port that add wireless capability.

belmor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wanted the Santa Cruz and I liked it but had a few issues

-To get 5k towing you have to have the SEL Premium AWD which is $37,xxx
-The SEL Premium has a DCT transmission that has been-lets say less than reliable.
-The big deal breaker for me was the bed is only 18in deep. I pull a shaved ice trailer with a generator and power cables in the truck bed and the cover would not close with the generator in there because its about 20in tall.

Maverick has none of those issues and suits my needs for less money.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No, the Santa Cruz is a brand new chassis and engine called their SmartStream series, whereas that article is related to the Theta II. The jury is still out on whether or not it will be reliable, but it is all new.

I'm on both forums and can confirm, Hyundai/Kia keep saying they will add it, but year after year they don't. Even the new 2023 Kia Sportage still doesn't have it. That said, you can buy little dongles you plug into the USB port that add wireless capability.
Very strange that highest trims do not have wireless CarPlay. The lack of color options is also odd . No red only the Tucson has had which has same grill as cruz .

sanpablo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Shelby GT500, 1999 Ford Windstar
Engine
2.5L Hybrid