First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You won't believe what just happened. After signing the paper work and everything. Booked my Lyft to leave the dealership. The GM ran out and got me back in. They said they couldn't honor the deal. I was like WTF? I signed the papers. He said he would have to lower the price because some other GM gave me an incorrect offer. He couldn't sell it more than the MSRP. He said he would have to shred the agreement. I'm like whatever I'm going to find a lawyer and seek legal action. This is a breach of contract. Good thing I still have a copy of the signed document. This is Tidwell Ford in Kenessaw Georgia. Shady assholes.

Sponsored

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
let us know if the check cleared.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You won't believe what just happened. After signing the paper work and everything. Booked my Lyft to leave the dealership. The GM ran out and got me back in. They said they couldn't honor the deal. I was like WTF? I signed the papers. He said he would have to lower the price because some other GM gave me an incorrect offer. He couldn't sell it more than the MSRP. He said he would have to shred the agreement. I'm like whatever I'm going to find a lawyer and seek legal action. This is a breach of contract. Good thing I still have a copy of the signed document. This is Tidwell Ford in Kenessaw Georgia. Shady assholes.
So, if you were to sign the paperwork, just as you were about to drive away, could you run back in and say, sorry, I can't buy this car after all, my spouse agreed on the wrong price with you?

A contract is a contract. They have all the resources, knowledge, and power in this deal; you don't. lol at them trying to back out.

Deleted member 17973

dude, if you have a check, go cash it. If it bounces, sue their ass.

Deleted member 17973

Unless it was financed, in which case, you're reliant on the dealer holding up their end of the bargain with paying off the loan.
It doesn't matter. He gave them his vehicle for consideration. Consideration was provided based on a signed contract. Dealer took possession as soon as that exchange occurred.

Once the contract was signed and the exchange occurred (unless the contract specifically says the dealer can change their mind), it is legal and binding.

Er go, cash the check.

Edit: I think it is illegal for a dealer to take in a car and not pay off the loan in most states. That would be a huge problem for the dealer.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It doesn't matter. He gave them his vehicle for consideration. Consideration was provided based on a signed contract. Dealer took possession as soon as that exchange occurred.

Once the contract was signed and the exchange occurred (unless the contract specifically says the dealer can change their mind), it is legal and binding.

Er go, cash the check.

Edit: I think it is illegal for a dealer to take in a car and not pay off the loan in most states. That would be a huge problem for the dealer.
You misunderstand.

It's not as simple as cashing the check for the selling price minus the 10-day payoff quote.

If financed, the dealer has only given you a check for a portion of the selling price.

So if they refuse to honor the deal, then you'll need to pursue legal action to enforce the sale contract. Or allow them to back out with no consequences. You can't just cash the check and say "sorry, it's done".

Deleted member 17973

You misunderstand.

It's not as simple as cashing the check for the selling price minus the 10-day payoff quote.

If financed, the dealer has only given you a check for a portion of the selling price.

So if they refuse to honor the deal, then you'll need to pursue legal action to enforce the sale contract. Or allow them to back out with no consequences. You can't just cash the check and say "sorry, it's done".
I did not misunderstand. As I pointed out, that would be breach of contract. Dealers get into a shit ton of trouble not paying off vehicles. That's why it rarely happens.

So, yes you can cash the check. Legally, it is the dealer's vehicle. They cannot sell it with a lien on it and are contractually obligated to pay off that lien.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did not misunderstand. As I pointed out, that would be breach of contract. Dealers get into a shit ton of trouble not paying off vehicles. That's why it rarely happens.

So, yes you can cash the check. Legally, it is the dealer's vehicle. They cannot sell it with a lien on it and are contractually obligated to pay off that lien.
Once again:

If the vehicle is financed, simply cashing the check does not complete the deal.

It is not done until the vehicle is paid off.

You are not disagreeing with this, nor stating anything contradictory, yet indicating you are. Thus you don't seem to understand.

Mav101

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gm
You misunderstand.

In every post you make, you are the most knowledgeable member here.

About everything.

OrangeBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Actually... yeah you could.
The deal is usually considered to be consummated when you drive off the property.

So, if you were to sign the paperwork, just as you were about to drive away, could you run back in and say, sorry, I can't buy this car after all, my spouse agreed on the wrong price with you?

A contract is a contract. They have all the resources, knowledge, and power in this deal; you don't. lol at them trying to back out.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.