Sponsored

Hybrid XLT - pre/post buy thoughts

• Thread starter Deleted member 1483
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Deleted member 1483

Purchased an XLT Hybrid a few days ago and had a chance to put it though a lot of mixed driving. This is less of a review and more what I was worried about and if it ended up being a problem.

1) Radio is low fi
Its not gonna blow your socks off but I think this is unfounded. I actually took “replace sound system” off my to do list. It’s fine.

2) Hood Shake
I have been up to 75 mph on the highway in moderate winds and have not noticed any hood shake. If you have it, I would go to a dealer.

3) Road Noise
Again its not like it’s luxury quiet but it is much quieter than my 2014 escape which had acoustic glass. I can’t complain here.

4) Rough Ride
It is way smoother in corners and over bumps than the 2014 escape. A few places I would cringe driving over are not a problem.

5) Infotainment Issues
Sometimes it takes a few plugs to get to show up. Hasn’t been a problem.

Final Thoughts

I think if your expectation was a budget vehicle (like mine was) you’ll be really impressed with it.

I wouldn’t compare it to a luxury vehicle and be happy. It’s not meant to be one. And that’s just fine.

5/5 would buy again. Any questions let me know.
Sponsored

Sponsored

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
XLT Hybrid+ Lux. I agree with all of what you wrote except for the audio. But I would have upgraded the B&O system too.

As far as the Infotainment functionality, it has been fine. I only had to do the reset once due to it freezing. The Power and [>>] key combo worked well.

I'm good with noise level, comfort, and all the other amenities. Great vehicle.

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Purchased an XLT Hybrid a few days ago and had a chance to put it though a lot of mixed driving. This is less of a review and more what I was worried about and if it ended up being a problem.

1) Radio is low fi
Its not gonna blow your socks off but I think this is unfounded. I actually took “replace sound system” off my to do list. It’s fine.

2) Hood Shake
I have been up to 75 mph on the highway in moderate winds and have not noticed any hood shake. If you have it, I would go to a dealer.

3) Road Noise
Again its not like it’s luxury quiet but it is much quieter than my 2014 escape which had acoustic glass. I can’t complain here.

4) Rough Ride
It is way smoother in corners and over bumps than the 2014 escape. A few places I would cringe driving over are not a problem.

5) Infotainment Issues

Final Thoughts

I think if your expectation was a budget vehicle (like mine was) you’ll be really impressed with it.

I wouldn’t compare it to a luxury vehicle and be happy. It’s not meant to be one. And that’s just fine.

Thank you for your impressions. I'm not looking for a luxurious truck so maybe I too won't be disapointed .

Sponsored

Joe Rambo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai SF
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have mine (Hybrid XLT/Lux/360) for about a month now and in 100% agreement.
It actually exceeds my expectations. I also planned on replacing the stereo but decided not to. Haven't had any of the infotainment issues I've read about here, nor have I experienced the dreaded hood shake, even at speeds in excess of 80 mph (65 mile one-way daily highway commute). I'm getting about 42 mpg combined (about 75% highway) setting the cruise control at 65 and operating in ECO mode. The lowest mpg I've seen is 37, with the highest being 53(!). My only "complaints" are that I had to sacrifice a tailgate tie-down/bottle opener in order to install the tailgate assist/dampener and the antenna behind the shark fin is too high (I know about the stubby but how does it affect reception?). As to the ride and road noise, neither are terrible and I'm glad that Ford kept it more or less a "truck". I couldn't be more satisfied with my Mav and the fact that I built and purchased this "sight unseen" and it is even better than I hoped is icing on the cake.

Last edited:

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

1) Radio is low fi

2) Hood Shake

3) Road Noise

4) Rough Ride

5) Infotainment Issues

Final Thoughts

We've had ours since last Saturday and our experience pretty much echoes yours:
-Stereo is not good, but better than that in our VW jetta. Works fine for our needs.
-Experienced no hood shake and road noise is a lot less than I was expecting.
-I'm not sure what others are driving to suggest it has a rough ride.
-Took us a few minutes to figure out how to get Google maps on the screen, then we realized that we were using the wrong USB port. No other infotainment issues.

So far, extremely satisfied for the money. We'll see how it ages.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1483

Have mine (Hybrid XLT/Lux/360) for about a month now and in 100% agreement.
It actually exceeds my expectations. I also planned on replacing the stereo but decided not to. Haven't had any of the infotainment issues I've read about here, nor have I experienced the dreaded hood shake, even at speeds in excess of 80 mph (65 mile one-way daily highway commute). I'm getting about 42 mpg combined (about 75% highway) setting the cruise control at 65 and operating in ECO mode. The lowest mpg I've seen is 37, with the highest being 53(!). My only "complaints" are that I had to sacrifice a tailgate tie-down/bottle opener in order to install the tailgate assist/dampener and the antenna behind the shark fin is too high (I know about the stubby but how does it affect reception?). As to the ride and road noise, neither are terrible and I'm glad that Ford kept it more of less a "truck". I couldn't be more satisfied with my Mav and the fact that I built and purchased this "sight unseen" and it is even better than I hoped is icing on the cake.
This has been my experience as well. I was expecting and wanting an entry level vehicle and have been impressed!

Mag Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you all very much. Should get my Maverick late June early July Vin and build week . My wife and me look forward to getting in our Maverick and just driving and getting lost and having a great time😞👍😎Thanks

OP
OP

Deleted member 1483

Thank you all very much. Should get my Maverick late June early July Vin and build week . My wife and me look forward to getting in our Maverick and just driving and getting lost and having a great time😞👍😎Thanks
That’s exactly what it’s for. It will be worth the wait.
Sponsored