Sponsored

Hybrid vs. Ecoboost: Opinions and why? I have a boat and popup, plus 45mile 1-way commute.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is America, land of hamburgers and lawyers.

If Ford says that the hybrid can safely tow 2K lbs, you don't have to be worried about being at the limit, as you know those lawyers have built in a healthy safety margin. I don't see anywhere that it says you need trailer brakes, so the lack of 7-pin and trailer brake controller shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...-guides/2022_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf
Page 2 = Maverick

If you need those things, then its not so much merely a hybrid vs ecoboost, but trailer tow package question which needs to be added to the ecoboost. The other consideration would be if the dock is very slippery where you plan to launch, in which case you not only need ecoboost, but probably want a AWD ecoboost 4K package.
Sponsored

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
This is America, land of hamburgers and lawyers.

If Ford says that the hybrid can safely tow 2K lbs, you don't have to be worried about being at the limit, as you know those lawyers have built in a healthy safety margin. I don't see anywhere that it says you need trailer brakes, so the lack of 7-pin and trailer brake controller shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...-guides/2022_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf
Page 2 = Maverick

If you need those things, then its not so much merely a hybrid vs ecoboost, but trailer tow package question which needs to be added to the ecoboost. The other consideration would be if the dock is very slippery where you plan to launch, in which case you not only need ecoboost, but probably want a AWD ecoboost 4K package.
It is the land of lawyers and if you read the last page of the PDF you posted you will see:

"Remember, the braking system of the tow vehicle is rated for operation at the GVWR, not GCWR."

Can I get a burger with tomato, onion, and cyber orange mustard?

Gmood1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That was true for Ford's Gen3 hybrids, but I'm finding the Escape Hybrid does much better on the highway than the C-Max ever did. Posted elsewhere, this compares the 2.0L EcoBoost and 2.5L Hybird mileage in 2020 Escape. Maverick should be a little lower for both, but still ~10 mpg better in the Hybrid.

Fuelly 2020 Escape 2L 2107.jpg
Fuelly 2020 Escape Hybrid 2106.jpg
Aren't those all Hwy/City Avgs though?
I'm referring more to OP's situation of mainly hwy. My situation is very similar to his.

Any data on the same vehicles being driven at 70 mph on avg?
I can almost guarantee the mpgs will be much closer. Simply because the engine doesn't have as many opportunities to turn off.

Hybrids are known to have great brake life.
Mine has over 170,000 miles on it now. The brake pads have never been changed. Also those electric AC compressors are awesome!!
Instant cold air vs the pulley controlled compressors.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Fuelly tracks fill-ups, so it's a mix. I can show what I get (second time today), but the truck will be a bit lower. These are 3-leg round trips of 50-200 miles, showing the dash display mileage, which is 5% high. I haven't driven a turbo.
Ford Maverick Hybrid vs. Ecoboost: Opinions and why? I have a boat and popup, plus 45mile 1-way commute. 1628286189933

+1 to AC, but not brakes based on past experience. I did C-Max rear brakes twice, and the front rotors rusted out. My wife just needed all four on her 2016 Sonata Hybrid, rears worn, fronts corroded. We'll see how the Escape fares, but I'm barely half way to the first C-Max work.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would wait until they release the Ecoboost mpg to make an informed decision
They have. Its 33

But towing that much is right.....Bigger engine. I got the hybrid because I have a 350 to do my towing or i would have gotten the larger engine(or bigger truck tbh)

Sponsored

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

They have. Its 33

But towing that much is right.....Bigger engine. I got the hybrid because I have a 350 to do my towing or i would have gotten the larger engine(or bigger truck tbh)
Where did you get 33 from?

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
I assume you're talking about this quote from the article?
" The 13.8 Gallon tank provides a driving range of 500 miles with the combination of approximately 40 mpg in the city, 33 mpg on highways, and 37 mpg combined. "

If so, pretty sure that's talking about the hybrid engine, not the Ecoboost. Still don't believe Ecoboost numbers have been released.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I assume you're talking about this quote from the article?
" The 13.8 Gallon tank provides a driving range of 500 miles with the combination of approximately 40 mpg in the city, 33 mpg on highways, and 37 mpg combined. "

If so, pretty sure that's talking about the hybrid engine, not the Ecoboost. Still don't believe Ecoboost numbers have been released.
Even the hybrid numbers are “estimated “ there are no official or EPA numbers yet.

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Even the hybrid numbers are “estimated “ there are no official or EPA numbers yet.
true, but ford hasn't even said :poop: about their ecoboost estimates

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
In truth, the only EPA numbers Ford has released for 2022 models are Transit Connect series vehicles.

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
According to the PDF posted by JASmith the towing numbers as advertised seem to be a bit deceptive. The GCWR is 7900lbs, payload capacity 1500lbs, the truck weight is 3730lbs (without a driver or passenger.) If we add 325lbs for a driver and passenger here is how it works out. 7900-3730-325 = 3845lbs max towing capacity. (GVWR)

The ads say you can tow 4000lbs and even show a Maverick towing a trailer(Lance)

It would seem that your towing eliminates your payload big time. Most people reading the material and looking at the ads will not crunch the numbers So if there is an accident will Ford try to use these calculated numbers over what has been presented to the public in their general advertisements to say the vehicle was overloaded?

Am I missing something? I was hoping to combine the 1500 payload(minus the weight of the passengers) and the 4000 towing capacity for what the Maverick could handle? But it seems like it is an either-or situation.

Also, how many couples have a combined weight of 325 lbs? Just looked up average weight of American male and female, it is 368lbs.

AM I MISSING SOMETHING???

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi Daniel, thanks for starting this new and thoughtful thread. The other related threads have gotten a bit convoluted.
I think your towing needs are very close to being met with the Hybrid. Not a whole lot of hills down there. If your new skiff is over 1500 lbs, stopping at highway speeds will become an issue. Stopping with the pop-up is different because your extra weight is over the wheels, not pushing them. You would need the 7 pin plug for brakes.
The 2.0 mpg will likely be 10 mpg less (at least) than the hybrid. Run your numbers and see what kind of $$$ you're looking at.
What did I do? Cruise is important to me too but I wasn't willing to pay nearly $2300 for it. My budget is similar to yours. I ordered XL, AWD, tow package, full size spare. AWD is paramount up here, regardless of what others say. Tow Package? I don't plan on towing much but what I'm getting for $745 can't be passed up. I've got an F150 to tow with, but who knows?
The turbo will be new to me. I'm not thrilled about the extra maintenance but want to give it a shot. It should be fun. There is no such thing as "city" driving up here anyway.
Whatever drivetrain you choose you should be good to go.
If I get my ordered 10/26/21 XLT with only 4pin hitch whether a 22 or 23 (no lux or anything else to keep weight down and still get few options I think I need) I intend to install a CURT relay controller with it's own separate 12v power wire with 7pin plug. It comes with T-plugs that attach at each tail light to detect which lights are activated. Then into the 7pin plug at the receiver I will place a CURT 7pin Bluetooth brake controller (about 6-7 inch long between truck and trailer) to allow charging power and braking power to trailer. The Bluetooth controller can be moved from different vehicles and trailers and the app can select which combinations have been setup by driver on his cell phone. I intend to use the 7pin charge wire to also charge a Massimo 2k battery powered pure sine wave inverter either in truck or in trailer depending. This setup could be used to ac-dc or dc-dc recharge electric bikes, CPAP, electric wheel chair or anything at their independent max recharge rate.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
According to the PDF posted by JASmith the towing numbers as advertised seem to be a bit deceptive. The GCWR is 7900lbs, payload capacity 1500lbs, the truck weight is 3730lbs (without a driver or passenger.) If we add 325lbs for a driver and passenger here is how it works out. 7900-3730-325 = 3845lbs max towing capacity. (GVWR)

The ads say you can tow 4000lbs and even show a Maverick towing a trailer(Lance)

It would seem that your towing eliminates your payload big time. Most people reading the material and looking at the ads will not crunch the numbers So if there is an accident will Ford try to use these calculated numbers over what has been presented to the public in their general advertisements to say the vehicle was overloaded?

Am I missing something? I was hoping to combine the 1500 payload(minus the weight of the passengers) and the 4000 towing capacity for what the Maverick could handle? But it seems like it is an either-or situation.

Also, how many couples have a combined weight of 325 lbs? Just looked up average weight of American male and female, it is 368lbs.

AM I MISSING SOMETHING???
I think that Ford set their 325 lb 2 passenger weight when they built the model T AKA pre big mac's. 🤗

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
ROTFL, OP - you are one brave person. I have your same old Ranger, 4 cyl manual. That thing is so anemic I wouldn't try to tow an ant. That truck taught me how to anticipate traffic and made me a much better driver. I think zero to 60 in my Ranger is something like 4 hours.
Sponsored