Sponsored

Hybrid vs. Ecoboost: Opinions and why? I have a boat and popup, plus 45mile 1-way commute.

dp4616

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know there are plenty of threads regarding the difference between the two. But I wanted to ask a few questions and get some opinions on the predicament I am in regarding the two engines. I thought initially I would get the 2.0EB, but the Hybrid is based on an AMAZING 2.5l engine (IMO) and the new eCVT seems incredible as well.

Here is why I am having such a hard time with the decision.

1. I drive 40-45 miles ONE-WAY to work, about 95% of it is highway. I am aware the Hybrid should get better MPG either way... BUT, if the highway MPG of the Ecoboost (the numbers havent came out yet) are within 2-5MPG of the hybrid HWY, then I would be loosing quite a bit of capability going with the Hybrid with little benefit in terms of MPG.

2. I have a popup camper, roughly 950lbs, fully loaded my truck and gear could get up to 1500 lbs. I currently tow fine with a 2011 Ford Ranger XL reg cab 2.3l 5-speed. I am sure BOTH engines would handle the load perfectly if my current truck is able to. I also have a boat, it is an inflatable boat at the moment and use a 10hp outboard - but the plan is to get a real 15-17ft skiff soon. I dont "want" to be bottlenecked by the truck, but also understand that I can find MANY boats in that size under the 1500-2k lbs range, but as mentioned multiple times, dont want to get too close to max and stress anything. Clearly boating and camping is MAYBE 1-2x a month MAX, so driving and MPG seem to be more important.

The decision I am trying to make is between XL with 2.0EB and 4k tow package, and the XLT with 2.5l Hybrid. I dont have Cruise Control now, but really want it, but trying to keep the MSRP under 24500. What would you do?
Sponsored

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Personally, I would acquire X-plan pricing then come off $700 more dollars and build an XLT FWD 2.0 with 4K tow package. This set up will likely have the highest payload of the line up as well. This set up currently may be held up a bit but it doesn’t sound like you’re in a dire rush.

Ford Maverick Hybrid vs. Ecoboost: Opinions and why? I have a boat and popup, plus 45mile 1-way commute. C0402711-098A-444F-838B-A1632ADB238A

Deleted member 1483

Based on towing being more than a "maybe" for you, I would say the 2.0 ecoboost model is probably the way to go. I personally opted for the hybrid because it was what brought the most amount of value to the truck. Less wear on brakes and engine, better mpg. If I planned on towing anything close to 2000lbs twice a month I would buy the 2.0 or a Ranger.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... 1. I drive 40-45 miles ONE-WAY to work, about 95% of it is highway....
2. I have a popup camper, ... a boat... 15-17ft skiff soon.
You tow too much... Do you want to be part of the "look what I can tow with my Hybrid" club, or just not worry about it?

I'd be in the "wow I can tow with a hybrid" club, but I don't have a pop-up, or a boat.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Hi Daniel, thanks for starting this new and thoughtful thread. The other related threads have gotten a bit convoluted.
I think your towing needs are very close to being met with the Hybrid. Not a whole lot of hills down there. If your new skiff is over 1500 lbs, stopping at highway speeds will become an issue. Stopping with the pop-up is different because your extra weight is over the wheels, not pushing them. You would need the 7 pin plug for brakes.
The 2.0 mpg will likely be 10 mpg less (at least) than the hybrid. Run your numbers and see what kind of $$$ you're looking at.
What did I do? Cruise is important to me too but I wasn't willing to pay nearly $2300 for it. My budget is similar to yours. I ordered XL, AWD, tow package, full size spare. AWD is paramount up here, regardless of what others say. Tow Package? I don't plan on towing much but what I'm getting for $745 can't be passed up. I've got an F150 to tow with, but who knows?
The turbo will be new to me. I'm not thrilled about the extra maintenance but want to give it a shot. It should be fun. There is no such thing as "city" driving up here anyway.
Whatever drivetrain you choose you should be good to go.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dp4616

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for your input.

The more I look into it - the more I think the actual deciding factor would be highway MPG.

Escape with 2.0 Ecoboost gets EPA rated 31 highway, while the *targeted* highway for the hybrid is 33... I think I might be willing to give up 2MPG, (I almost always exceed EPA highway rated MPG anyways - currently at 27 LIFETIME MPG on my ranger) for the piece of mind, but I LOVE that 2.5l Duratec... I wish they would just come out with the MPG figures for both already to help ease my mind!!!

mrrk47

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Personally, I would acquire X-plan pricing then come off $700 more dollars and build an XLT FWD 2.0 with 4K tow package. This set up will likely have the highest payload of the line up as well. This set up currently may be held up a bit but it doesn’t sound like you’re in a dire rush.

C0402711-098A-444F-838B-A1632ADB238A.png
Late availability on fwd 4K

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I would wait until they release the Ecoboost mpg to make an informed decision

mrrk47

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I stated that in my response. He didn’t say he’s in dire need of a new vehicle this second.
Do you think it’ll be build 2 or build 3 when they start?

Sponsored

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you think it’ll be build 2 or build 3 when they start?
I won’t even begin to speculate as I have no facts. Too much of that going around here being taken as the gospel by antsy buyers! Lol

OP
OP

dp4616

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am in no hurry.

I guess the smart decision is to wait and see what the EcoBoost MPG will be like @fishinmagician said... Sucks a little because Im sure the 4% under invoice incentive will probably be stopped before that.

Gmood1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After owning a hybrid vehicle with a 2.4L for the last 9 years. And being familiar with the 2.0T in the same vehicle.
On the highway, there wasn't much of a difference.

Hybrids mainly shine when used in city driving. Highway mileage won't be much difference between the two. If similar to what I've experienced with other vehicles.

For this very reason, I opted for the 2.0T version.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Hybrids mainly shine when used in city driving. Highway mileage won't be much difference between the two.
That was true for Ford's Gen3 hybrids, but I'm finding the Escape Hybrid does much better on the highway than the C-Max ever did. Posted elsewhere, this compares the 2.0L EcoBoost and 2.5L Hybird mileage in 2020 Escape. Maverick should be a little lower for both, but still ~10 mpg better in the Hybrid.

Ford Maverick Hybrid vs. Ecoboost: Opinions and why? I have a boat and popup, plus 45mile 1-way commute. Fuelly 2020 Escape 2L 2107
Ford Maverick Hybrid vs. Ecoboost: Opinions and why? I have a boat and popup, plus 45mile 1-way commute. Fuelly 2020 Escape Hybrid 2106

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
I am in no hurry.

I guess the smart decision is to wait and see what the EcoBoost MPG will be like @fishinmagician said... Sucks a little because Im sure the 4% under invoice incentive will probably be stopped before that.
Yes. And BTW I was thinking combined MPG in my previous response.
Look at the Ford Edge MPG also. It's 29 Highway with 2.0.
Sponsored