Olby

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like Toyota is having some reliability issues with their hybrids.

Full article: Montreal hybrid RAV4 owner files class-action against Toyota | Driving

"Toyota has been getting heat from some RAV4 Hybrid and Prime owners recently over an alleged issue with an integral high-voltage cable that runs the length of the vehicle and could become corroded. The problem has been given the name #CableGate online.

Now that heat is being turned up from social media call-outs to a class-action lawsuit filed against the Japanese automaker on behalf of a Montreal RAV4 owner. French-language publication
LaPresse reports that the owner is seeking $7,000 for the cost of the repairs, plus another $300 in punitive damages.

According to those talking about it online, including one individual who spoke to the
Toronto Star last month, the problem concerns the electrical wire harness that transfers power to the rear motor-generator in RAV4 Hybrid models from the 2019 to 2021 model years. Apparently the harness is exposed to the elements and thereby susceptible to corrosion, which in turn could cause the hybrid system to fail completely.

But when The Star’s source, Jean-Thomas Landry, approached Toyota for repairs, he was handed a bill and told that the issue was not covered by the brand’s eight-year or 160,000-km hybrid component warranty, but rather a three-year/60,000-km warranty, which in his case had expired. The bill totaled $4,600 for the wiring harness, around $1,200 for labour, and another $900 in taxes.

Toyota Canada spokesperson Philippe Crowe told The Star that “some customers” contacted the company about a potential problem, which it is investigating. “We strongly encourage all of our customers to have their vehicles regularly maintained at their local Toyota dealership. In cases where there is a concern about a product or part that is no longer under warranty, we evaluate each situation on a case-by-case basis,” the statement said.

There is no estimate of the number of RAV4s that may be impacted by this (and their owners’ wallets, by extension, as many of the 40,000 sold in Canada between 2019 and 2021 have already been repaired, and as some Prime models show the signs of corrosion but have not so far been noted to fail.

An
online petition to encourage Toyota to issue a recall over the problem has so far collected over 3,000 signatures."

Ford Maverick Hybrid Toyota RAV4 and Prime reliability, call for a class-action lawsuit IeeJYqMrLFLtpus-800x450-noPad
Sponsored

OP
OP

Olby

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This section is specifically about "Maverick vs it's competition" so it is the right place to post this. Since a lot of users here are concerned about Ford hybrid system's reliability I wanted to point out that even the famous "most reliable manufacturer ever" is having some problems with their hybrids.

[Edit]

Since Snax removed his earlier post, I have to clarify that I was responding to his comment about how this is not related to Maverick Hybrid in any way.

Last edited:

DetMav13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Interesting...have owned a prime since last November and it's been tremendous (can't wait for either Toyota or Ford to make a PHEV truck).

Not stoked to hear about this though...will definitely look into it during the next service appointment.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This section is specifically about "Maverick vs it's competition" so it is the right place to post this. Since a lot of users here are concerned about Ford hybrid system's reliability I wanted to point out that even the famous "most reliable manufacturer ever (according to most online trolls) " is having some problems with their hybrids.
A corrosion problem on a hybrid RAV4 isn't relevant to the reliability of the Maverick's hybrid system. Red herring.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
intresting, i dont think mavericks are having this issue. As far RAV4 VS Maverick, i think maverick is better buy right now.

Sponsored

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The only thing my Mav has corroded is my savings!

OP
OP

Olby

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
intresting, i dont think mavericks are having this issue. As far RAV4 VS Maverick, i think maverick is better buy right now.
Agreed. I was just surprised to read about it given how long Toyota has been making hybrid vehicles. You would think they would have mastered them by now and would know how much damage salted roads and Canadian winters can do to underbody components.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agreed. I was just surprised to read about it given how long Toyota has been making hybrid vehicles. You would think they would have mastered them by now and would know how much damage salted roads and Canadian winters can do to underbody components.
I wonder if it relates to how they implemented the AWD for the RAV4 in particular? I believe it is essentially 2 electric motors (front/rear) - is that a common design? It appears to be newer with 2020+ models (Rav4, maybe highlander).

Braderick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT, RAV4 Hybrid, KIA EV6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oddly enough, I ordered a EB Maverick January 1, 2022...still waiting.

May 19, 2022 ordered a RAV4 XLE that will be arriving June 15, 2022. I became aware of this via alt.forum a few days ago.

It's a gamble anyway you look at the situation...but a bird in the hand.

PS...The RAV4 is a Canadian build.

Harleystreetbob

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
harley electra glide maverick hybrid xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

May 19, 2022 ordered a RAV4 XLE that will be arriving June 15, 2022. I became aware of this via alt.forum a few days ago.

The Can build ones are coated in maple syrop to prevent this corrosion issue

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I ordered mine Dec 15th, 2021. Still hoping mine will get built before end of production in mid-October, but there's a chance both of us get pushed to MY2023 🤞

MaineMav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150
I posted about this a couple of months back when a commentor claimed the Rav4 hybrid he purchased was far superior to the Mav. My sister in law had this exact issue and her Rav sat in the shop for 2 months waiting for the parts to repair. Ever since she got it back her fuel mileage has been dismal and she says it doesn't have nearly as much power as it had before so I think the corroded connections caused damage to the electric motor in the form of too much resistance through the connections. So much for Toyota reliability

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A corrosion problem on a hybrid RAV4 isn't relevant to the reliability of the Maverick's hybrid system. Red herring.
Agree, especially given the nature of the fault in the Rav 4 hybrid is specific to the cable that runs REAR motors... The Maverick doesn't have rear motors.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since Snax removed his earlier post, I have to clarify that I was responding to his comment about how this is not related to Maverick Hybrid in any way.
Well, your post ISN'T related to the Maverick in any way. The RAV4 is very different vehicle that doesn't even have the same wiring as the Maverick.
Sponsored