First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot and 2005 Audi A4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My 1985 Toyota truck holds a special part in my heart. It moved me to college, in and out of various apartments and ultimately my wife and I into our first house. It was as basic as basic gets - the "fancy options" it had included steelies, heat and keys. I typically drive a vehicle until the wheels fall off, but kids and car seats made that little truck less useful and it's unfortunately long gone. I haven't owned a truck since, but have regularly missed owning one. Over the years I've just watched trucks get bigger and more expensive, so I was thrilled to see Ford come out with the Maverick; it's small size, all the functionality and a reasonable price. And the timing was serendipitous as my youngest daughter was about to turn 16 (July of 2022) and interested in my 'hand-me-down' car. The XL was the perfect trim package to honor the simplicity of my old truck - steelies! And I loved the idea of the hybrid, not so much to save the planet, but to save money on gas! (BTW, not that I'm against "saving the planet" and I certainly am not wanting to start a debate (although some of you will feel the need to educate me - please don't, I'm a natural blonde), I'm just not convinced of the lessor of two evils between burning fossil fuels vs the various short and long term environmental impact of batteries.) Anyway, I ultimately ordered a basic XL hybrid on 10/1/2021 with the "wisdom" that I'd surely get that little truck in 9 months time and could hand down my current car in time for my daughter's birthday.

Fast forward... I waited, and waited (like most of you!) and felt I was a genus to have ordered a hybrid as I watched gas prices peak in the summer of 2022. During the wait, this forum has become a refuge to learn, dream, celebrate and commiserate with my fellow Mav faithful. My 2022 order got rolled over to a 2023 on 9/16/22. And then on 12/14/22 we got the news the Ford had availability capacity issues indicating that both hybrids and XL trim were constrained, but would now allow Hybrid order holders to change to the EcoBoost (EB) powertrain without losing your place in line (vehicle scheduling order). Dang, what the heck!?! I really wanted both the hybrid and XL! Being primarily cost driven I looked up MPG of both the hybrid and EB to understand the fuel premium I should expect based on my estimated miles per year and an estimated cost per gallon. As I did that, it also dawned on me that I'd likely have to replace those hybrid batteries so started doing some web searches on the Ford Escape Hybrid - the basic platform that the Maverick sits. If you believe the internet, you should expect replacing those hybrid batteries every 80k-150k miles at a cost of $5-10k. Granted, no one knows what the cost of gas will be over the next 10 years, nor the cost of batteries, but as I ran some scenarios for myself, I came to the personal conclusion that my cost of long term ownership would likely be a wash between hybrid and EB. With the risk of not getting my ordered Mav at all, I made the decision to convert to both my powertrain and trim to where Ford showed availability. On 12/17/22, I converted my XL hybrid order to an XLT EcoBoost.

I humbly and joyfully report that on 1/12/23 (15.5 months after my original order), I received an email that my Mav had been assigned a VIN and scheduled for production the week of 2/6. Now, I'm not naĆÆve to think there is a direct linkage that my order change caused its scheduling - who knows, maybe the stars were going to align with my build, my order date, priority and Ford dealer's allocation and I would have still drawn a hybrid slot. For me, it was just an odds play and some thinking about the likely cost of ownership. Hopefully my story has been interesting if not helpful. For those still holding out for a hybrid - good for you, and you're welcome to my slot! Regardless of your pending order, may the odds be forever in your favor! I'm looking forward to having a little truck again... it's been a long time. (The truck is gone, but the wife is still as pretty... a blessed man indeed.)

Ford Maverick Hybrid to EcoBoost Maverick - my story, logic and result Toyota

Ford Maverick Hybrid to EcoBoost Maverick - my story, logic and result Toyota
Sponsored

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've actually just sent an email to my dealer this morning about potentially making the same move. Did the same math. I drive less than 2000 miles a year (I live in a large urban city, everything is close by) and anticipate that growing some once I retire next year, but probably not doubling. I also did the math, but the 50% of hybrids won't get built math is what's most important at this point. I've never been lucky -- I've long said if you hold a drawing with only two names in it, and you draw twice, I STILL wouldn't win. šŸ˜Ÿ So I am, regretfully, about to be team Ecoboost, unless my dealer comes back and feels really confident that I'll get my hybrid by year end. Bird in the hand, and all that. Bottom line, I need a modern, comfortable truck to replace my 2008 Ford Ranger, to take me into retirement. Not an SUV, a truck. And Mav's the only budget option out there.

Also, a not unimportant factor: if I lose the hybrid waiting game, I get priced out of the Mav market entirely. This year's price increase is already at absolute max of what I can handle, anticipated hike next MY takes me out of the game entirely.

Last edited:

Godzilla

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My 1985 Toyota truck holds a special part in my heart. It moved me to college, in and out of various apartments and ultimately my wife and I into our first house. It was as basic as basic gets - the "fancy options" it had included steelies, heat and keys. I typically drive a vehicle until the wheels fall off, but kids and car seats made that little truck less useful and it's unfortunately long gone. I haven't owned a truck since, but have regularly missed owning one. Over the years I've just watched trucks get bigger and more expensive, so I was thrilled to see Ford come out with the Maverick; it's small size, all the functionality and a reasonable price. And the timing was serendipitous as my youngest daughter was about to turn 16 (July of 2022) and interested in my 'hand-me-down' car. The XL was the perfect trim package to honor the simplicity of my old truck - steelies! And I loved the idea of the hybrid, not so much to save the planet, but to save money on gas! (BTW, not that I'm against "saving the planet" and I certainly am not wanting to start a debate (although some of you will feel the need to educate me - please don't, I'm a natural blonde), I'm just not convinced of the lessor of two evils between burning fossil fuels vs the various short and long term environmental impact of batteries.) Anyway, I ultimately ordered a basic XL hybrid on 10/1/2021 with the "wisdom" that I'd surely get that little truck in 9 months time and could hand down my current car in time for my daughter's birthday.

Fast forward... I waited, and waited (like most of you!) and felt I was a genus to have ordered a hybrid as I watched gas prices peak in the summer of 2022. During the wait, this forum has become a refuge to learn, dream, celebrate and commiserate with my fellow Mav faithful. My 2022 order got rolled over to a 2023 on 9/16/22. And then on 12/14/22 we got the news the Ford had availability capacity issues indicating that both hybrids and XL trim were constrained, but would now allow Hybrid order holders to change to the EcoBoost (EB) powertrain without losing your place in line (vehicle scheduling order). Dang, what the heck!?! I really wanted both the hybrid and XL! Being primarily cost driven I looked up MPG of both the hybrid and EB to understand the fuel premium I should expect based on my estimated miles per year and an estimated cost per gallon. As I did that, it also dawned on me that I'd likely have to replace those hybrid batteries so started doing some web searches on the Ford Escape Hybrid - the basic platform that the Maverick sits. If you believe the internet, you should expect replacing those hybrid batteries every 80k-150k miles at a cost of $5-10k. Granted, no one knows what the cost of gas will be over the next 10 years, nor the cost of batteries, but as I ran some scenarios for myself, I came to the personal conclusion that my cost of long term ownership would likely be a wash between hybrid and EB. With the risk of not getting my ordered Mav at all, I made the decision to convert to both my powertrain and trim to where Ford showed availability. On 12/17/22, I converted my XL hybrid order to an XLT EcoBoost.

I humbly and joyfully report that on 1/12/23 (15.5 months after my original order), I received an email that my Mav had been assigned a VIN and scheduled for production the week of 2/6. Now, I'm not naĆÆve to think there is a direct linkage that my order change caused its scheduling - who knows, maybe the stars were going to align with my build, my order date, priority and Ford dealer's allocation and I would have still drawn a hybrid slot. For me, it was just an odds play and some thinking about the likely cost of ownership. Hopefully my story has been interesting if not helpful. For those still holding out for a hybrid - good for you, and you're welcome to my slot! Regardless of your pending order, may the odds be forever in your favor! I'm looking forward to having a little truck again... it's been a long time. (The truck is gone, but the wife is still as pretty... a blessed man indeed.)
Toyota.jpg

Toyota.jpg
Did basically the same thing except I switched from a hybrid xlt to a basic xl EB with CP 360. Got scheduled yesterday for Feb 6. Will be 16 months by then. Just tired of waiting for a hybrid and am retired and donā€™t drive much anyway.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A very pragmatic approach. I suspect many people buying hybrids are wowed by the city mpg and not looking at it from a personal cost of use standpoint. For many people it just doesnt add up to much savings for their application unless you are doing very high city mileage.... if you are going to use it as a taxi or deliver things all day in stop and go city traffic the fuel savings could add up quick though. The highway mpg between the two is not that different.

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Blessed indeed. Looking forward to seeing the Mav when you get it.

Sponsored

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Similar realization happened for me as well.

I mainly ordered the hybrid XL last year because it was the cheapest option. Additional gas savings was a bonus, but I think in my driving situation the bonus wouldn't have been as great as I originally thought.

I reassessed my situation at rollover and decided I needed a truck, hybrid was optional. Plus there were a couple issues on the hybrid that concerned me.

One of my main hybrid concerns is the grabby brake problem. It seems Ford's TSB only lessened the times it happens. Perhaps they'll completely fix it one day, but maybe not. I read a post where someone had an issue pulling into their garage and feeling like they had no brakes then bam it stopped. I have limited space to pull in my garage front and back, I don't need to think about what the brakes will do. Also don't like the idea of being surprise jolted in traffic and parking situations.

I keep my vehicles long term long, so I also wondered how much the battery replacement would be if that came up.

The final reason I changed is my dealer delivered lower priority EBs all last year while I heard nothing. Maybe I would get it this year, but after looking at a Hybrid XL chance of scheduling and what I really needed, I had no issue switching to EB XL.

I got scheduled early last month for Jan 30 build.

Larry the lariat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with your take.

I drive a good amount for work. About 100 miles a day ( give or take). The Hybrid was the way to go for me. I never tow, rarely haul and just wanted a truck bed for my DIY projects. When the 35/65 info came out, i started running the numbers. I quickly realized that, i may not get the truck. While i did order on day 1 at my dealership, i was a priority 19 and knew it would be a while before getting it. If i did at all. That really really scared me. My current car is on its last leg and i really want/need something new. When ford gave us the opportunity to make the switch i instantly called my salesman but he said he canā€™t do it. I called the ā€œinternet departmentā€ of my dealership, since according to my salesman they make the order changes, and again the told me no. I called them a few days later again and they finally gave me the answer i was looking for! I had it changed to an EB AWD. I also asked about the priority. My salesman told me no because it wouldnt be fair. Which is completely understandable but when i made the change the rep said sure, and swapped me to a priority 10. I was ELATED! 3 weeks later, i got my production email. Spending a extra $50-$100 over the hybrid is fine in my eyes. Regardless my current truck doesnā€™t do 20th good so im winning anyways.

Now im waiting for Feb 20 to hopefully get a ā€œbuiltā€ email. but if its pushed back i wont be too mad. Im happy as it is right now. I always hoped to have it before june. And by the looks of it, i will!

Best of luck to everyone making the decision between hybrid and EB. In my opinion, make the switch. Math is math. And the math isnā€™t mathing with the hybrids. Lol

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I agree it can be a tough decision. I was lucky enough to find a rejected '22 Lariat Hybrid First Edition at a local dealer, and also fortunate enough to make enough by selling my Prius-C (well above what I thought it was worth) to offset the ADM required to close the deal.

I still have two hybrid Lariats on order (mine + one for my wife) and I will admit to being tempted to swap one of them to EB just to make sure we get one. But one of the big draws of the hybrid is the ability to be flat-towed behind our small 25-ft motorhome (Jayco Class C), which makes the hybrid really the best option for us. Do we really need TWO hybrids? Maybe not. But we both really like the way this one drives, and I cannot imagine any situation where I would "need" more power than the hybrid can deliver. So I'm staying the course.
Sponsored