First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine started today too, 21k km, just over 13k miles. Just as ghostrider72 described, gas to electric at low speed.

Cheers.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Mine started today too, 21k km, just over 13k miles. Just as ghostrider72 described, gas to electric at low speed.

Cheers.
Hello, Andy! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this shudder concern on your Maverick. Thanks!

Whatthewhat11

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same issue, documenting for others. Hybrid XLT, <1k miles. Any descent where the car gets above 15 mph, I get a continuous vibration into the cabin. Sounds very similar to a regular ICE vehicle in low gear using engine braking when the RPMs rise. It gets louder the faster the car goes. Has happend in normal mode, have not tried other modes. The sound stops when I hit the gas, immediately returns when I let off, or use the brakes.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Same issue, documenting for others. Hybrid XLT, <1k miles. Any descent where the car gets above 15 mph, I get a continuous vibration into the cabin. Sounds very similar to a regular ICE vehicle in low gear using engine braking when the RPMs rise. It gets louder the faster the car goes. Has happend in normal mode, have not tried other modes. The sound stops when I hit the gas, immediately returns when I let off, or use the brakes.
It COULD be (among other things) engine braking. If the battery is fully charged, the ICE will kick in to slow you down. If the descent is steep enough, then the ICE will actually speed up as you go.

Whatthewhat11

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It COULD be (among other things) engine braking. If the battery is fully charged, the ICE will kick in to slow you down. If the descent is steep enough, then the ICE will actually speed up as you go.
It's not the ICE. The ICE does not turn on during descents, especially when you are off the gas. Using engine braking to slow down would defeat the purpose of a hybrid.

Also, there is no automatic transmission, be that CVT or otherwise, that will hold a low gear like that unless you specifically keep it in low gear. If you experienced it, you would quickly realize it is not the ICE

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not the ICE. The ICE does not turn on during descents, especially when you are off the gas. Using engine braking to slow down would defeat the purpose of a hybrid.
It does if the HV batt is near full because it now has nowhere to dump the regen energy.

Mine will sometimes do it on flat ground stops for the first mile or two if I remote started and it ran the engine to generate heat. Because it hasn't warmed up enough to make EV mode available the battery is full and can't regen when off-throttle so instead engine brakes (in Eco with 'L).

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It does if the HV batt is near full because it now has nowhere to dump the regen energy.

Mine will sometimes do it on flat ground stops for the first mile or two if I remote started and it ran the engine to generate heat. Because it hasn't warmed up enough to make EV mode available the battery is full and can't regen when off-throttle so instead engine brakes (in Eco with 'L).
As I’ve said in previous posts, I expect the “L” to wear off its button, long before the truck is old, simply because I use it all the time. And, while driving electrically, if the battery is near full, the ICE WILL kick in to provide deceleration.
Manual says that L may be engaged at any speed.
(Oh Oh……….thread creep!…….Sorry)

Whatthewhat11

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sure keeping it in "L" I can see it engine braking. It makes no sense for a hybrid to be computer programmed to regularly use engine braking to slow the car down. It would use either regen or disc braking, like every other vehicle.

To be clear, what I am experiencing is not typical engine braking in a regular ICE like you would during regular descents with your foot off the gas. It sounds like 4k+ RPMs, similar to how it would sound if you are intentionally keeping it in low gear to actually utilize the engine braking to significantly reduce/control your speed.

Last edited:

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sure keeping it in "L" I can see it engine braking. It makes no sense for a hybrid to be computer programmed to regularly use engine braking to slow the car down. It would use either regen or disc braking, like every other vehicle.

To be clear, what I am experiencing is not typical engine braking in a regular ICE like you would during regular descents with your foot off the gas. It sounds like 4k+ RPMs, similar to how it would sound if you are intentionally keeping it in low gear to actually utilize the engine braking to significantly reduce/control your speed.
Engine braking kicks in when regen is insufficient during coasting/Grade Assist.

It’s not going to start burning up the friction brakes until you, the driver, directly, manually command braking.

Imagine coasting down a mountain with a full battery thus no regen, and it keeps the friction brakes constantly applied instead of using engine braking.

Not a good plan.

Engine braking is used to replace the off throttle… engine braking… of an ICE car. Otherwise, with the efficiency of the eCVT, you’d either have a runaway car, or cook the brakes. After all, it still has an engine, which is better able to handle constant spinning than brakes are constant application.

Engine braking as such is cool with me until I’m able to move to a PHEV/BEV with plenty of room for all my regen needs.

OP
OP

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree it is probably the engine braking you are feeling - The Shudder issue is a serious issue - it shakes the entire truck. Feels like the transmission is going to shake apart. It's not subtle when it happens.

Sponsored

MortyHooper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Also, there is no automatic transmission, be that CVT or otherwise, that will hold a low gear like that unless you specifically keep it in low gear. If you experienced it, you would quickly realize it is not the ICE
This is actually false, I owned a Prius, same transmission/ similar design. I just copied and pasted an explanation from the Prius world on what occurs on long descents when battery reaches full:

“The ICE is indeed spinning at the times you mention, but it is not "on". Your Prius is using engine braking (Acting as a vacuum pump) to dissipate excess energy, no gasoline is being injected into the cylinders. Regenerative braking is not available at those times and you will be using friction braking to slow your car down.

There is one more time that this happens. I have "Full range" dynamic cruise control in my 2016 Prius. When it needs to slow the car down it spins up the ICE to dissipate excess energy and slow the car faster than standard regeneration would allow.”

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Hi Zach! I can look into your Maverick's concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Maverick's VIN?

Ponypower50

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maveriak Lariat, 2021 Mach e
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2014 Ford Cmax, hydrid with 95,000 miles was flawless, never a shake, rattle or pop.

MortyHooper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My truck vibrates upon DECELERATION only. for example this is where I always experience the issue: I am gently accelerating up a slight grade. I get to the top and gently hit the brakes to take a left turn. The ICE shuts down - the Electric regen brakes kick in and I get a powerful vibration that can be felt throughout the truck - vibrates the steering wheel and dashboard. The vibration is clearly a harmonic in the drive system / motor generator. This does not feel in any way like brake rotor warp. It's "electrical" in nature. This pattern sounds backwards from others who say they feel a vibration when they accelerate - going from electric to ICE drive. I never experience this with Accelerating.
I got this today, a serious sounding/ feeling vibration as you describe. My 2023 hybrid has about 225 kms on it, truck is 1.5 weeks old and has been 100% babied.

techjess

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine started to do this more frequently. 2022 with 15k miles hybrid XL. Was there a fix or recall for this issue?
Sponsored