Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've read some posts about Hybrids not getting expected fuel economy. While cold weather and winter fuel blends negatively affect MPG, it seems learning how to effectively use the Hybrid system and regenerative braking are key in improving overall efficiency.

This detailed video explains how to use the Power Meter (replaces tachometer) and Brake Coach to improve driving techniques while not pissing off fellow drivers. When I get my Hybrid, I'll just have to remember I still have to look at the road/traffic and not become fixated on these two features. šŸ˜µ

To anyone whose gotten their Hybrid, do you find these two driver aids useful? I'm thinking initially they would be helpful, but overtime you won't need as much "coaching".

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use the power meter on my Fusion pretty regularly. Especially since the transition point from ICE <=> EV moves dependent on battery SoC and speed. So EV coach is going to be up 100% of the time for me. Getting to see what the max regen potential in real-time is even better. More useful than trying to gauge by pedal feel (and getting scored after the fact) when the blended braking is so well-tuned.

I do wish the analog power gauge was more functional. As implemented it's mostly just a 'are you pushing the throttle' gauge which isn't especially informative in comparison to EV Coach. Maybe if Ford had added some multi-segment lighting so it's capable of showing the EV and Regen bands.

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Hybrid Power Meter and Brake Coach Usage (Video) 20220202_081147

This morning, second leg of trip after all warmed up. Was 33.6 on the way out, same route and distance. Lots of street driving.

There's a good downhill on the way out that I had to climb on way home. Was at 65mpg before the hill. Then 50 at the top. And electric most of the way at 25-35mph after that to home.

That's phenomenal mileage at 35F and in morning traffic on slow side streets.

Last edited:

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've found the EV couch really helpful in learning what the *very small* amount of pedal pressure feels like to stay in EV mode, so that I can do pulse and glide more by feel and less by watching the coach screen. I agree with @Darnon this should really be built into that power meter tach, that would be more helpful to always see it and be able to have a different screen up.

It is also interesting to use the coach and see where, for example, on cold mornings the electric mode can't just be forced into action, there are a lot of conditions and variables in the back-end that force the ICE to be on and electric mode disabled; or when you see a tiny "hybrid" band instead of when you would expect to see the electric band, that seems to mean the ICE is actively refilling the battery state of charge.

Or even stranger to me, when I leave work the truck will be in "All Electric" mode if I stay under 25mph or don't push the accelerator *too* much, but I can definitely push it more than usual and stay in electric mode in this status. I'm guessing this is kind of a "leaving the parking lot" mode or something lol. I wish there was more of a pedal travel range in the ECO mode that stayed in the small electric range so that it wasn't such a tiny tiny range of pedal travel that's easy to blow past, even if you're willing to go slower and take your time.

Last edited:

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Good video! I think he is a regular in the forum. I donā€™t have the coach as my main display, but I do like the data I get when I make a complete stop. I usually get 90-100 on the regenerative and it is obvious why when I donā€™t. I can almost see the energy fly into the ether when I brake hard. I love my Mav!

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Using the ECO drive mode has a stronger amount of regenerative braking when you take your foot off the accelerator making stopping much quicker and almost guarantees that you will get 100% braking report. I just wish it would be the default drive mode but have become used to enabling it on each drive.

Another tip is in traffic to accelerate to speed quickly then briefly take your foot off the accelerator then reapply the accelerator pedal gently. This quickly puts the vehicle in electric only mode. In one of Tim's earlier videos before the Maverick was even available he used a Ford Fusion to show how Ford's Hybrid technology works.

When I first started to use the "ECO driver assist screen" I greatly improved my driving experience while staying in electric mode longer thus improving the MPG's.

From a stop with no one behind me I will use the "ECO driver assist screen" to accelerate in all electric mode by pressing the accelerator but stay just below the top edge of the electric mode window. Acceleration is still pretty strong but does take a little longer to get up to speed.

Last edited:

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
20220202_081147.jpg

This morning, second leg of trip after all warmed up. Was 33.6 on the way out, same route and distance. Lots of street driving.

There's a good downhill on the way out that I had to climb on way home. Was at 65mpg before the hill. Then 50 at the top. And electric most of the way at 25-35mph after that to home.

That's phenomenal mileage at 35F and in morning traffic on slow side streets.
This picture is interesting, for it implies under these driving conditions the Hybrid would get well over 700 miles to empty. On a normal day I commute 17 miles to work, 60% down a slight hill; then 17 miles home, 60% up a slight hill (mostly below 45-50mph)

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This picture is interesting, for it implies under these driving conditions the Hybrid would get well over 700 miles to empty. On a normal day I commute 17 miles to work, 60% down a slight hill; then 17 miles home, 60% up a slight hill (mostly below 45-50mph)
Be careful implying anything from one trip, there are too many variables to extrapolate to a whole tank's worth of variable driving conditions.

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Be careful implying anything from one trip, there are too many variables to extrapolate to a whole tank's worth of variable driving conditions.
Yes. Just one trip. But one I do regularly and this one was just much higher thanks to things like better temp, not clearing snow since it was the return trip but it's also the one with more uphill than the trip out.

Either way, it's still impressive to me that a truck can get anywhere close to that in city driving when it's 35F out. And got mid 30s on the early drive when I did warm it up a bit first

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Hybrid Power Meter and Brake Coach Usage (Video) 20220202_140809

Did some driving midday, but now the same trip in reverse. No heat. 0.5 shorter because I entered the lot from the other end and didn't have to circle.

But 50 plus for the round trip.

Sponsored

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew Sport XLT
Engine
Undecided
I've read some posts about Hybrids not getting expected fuel economy. While cold weather and winter fuel blends negatively affect MPG, it seems learning how to effectively use the Hybrid system and regenerative braking are key in improving overall efficiency.

This detailed video explains how to use the Power Meter (replaces tachometer) and Brake Coach to improve driving techniques while not pissing off fellow drivers. When I get my Hybrid, I'll just have to remember I still have to look at the road/traffic and not become fixated on these two features. šŸ˜µ

To anyone whose gotten their Hybrid, do you find these two driver aids useful? I'm thinking initially they would be helpful, but overtime you won't need as much "coaching".

Hmmmm, wonder how many rear enders this could cause? I got behind a person in a Pius er a Prius and they were doing all they could to stay in electric mode! Was irritating to say the least, so ya be mindful of folks behind you and in front too.

mikejohn13

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I got 38.5 MPG on my first tank and 37.7 on the second one I'm just about tank up for the 3rd time but it's been consistent so far.
And I'm just coming up on 1100 miles.
Mike

BlackXL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 F-350, 2 F-250, 4 escape, mustang, bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Biggest mileage gain for me was turning off the climate control. Brake coach and power needle donā€™t do much for me. But, we have had a ford escape hybrid and a prius since the mid 2000s. Hypermileing is probably very annoying to folks in a hurry. 40+ psi for tire pressure. Avoid velocity, wind resistance. Ease into the throttle position sensor. Donā€™t let the brake pads touch the rotors. Or expect to get 27 mpg in very cold weather instead of 42ā€¦

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Biggest mileage gain for me was turning off the climate control. Brake coach and power needle donā€™t do much for me. But, we have had a ford escape hybrid and a prius since the mid 2000s. Hypermileing is probably very annoying to folks in a hurry. 40+ psi for tire pressure. Avoid velocity, wind resistance. Ease into the throttle position sensor. Donā€™t let the brake pads touch the rotors. Or expect to get 27 mpg in very cold weather instead of 42ā€¦
Ok this is my last one, but just another example about short trips ā€” 34F outside, cold start, start drive immediately, no climate control, straight to work, a few hills up and down, 35 mph max, very easy pn acceleration. Dat boi ainā€™t so efficient in the chill zone, like any gas engine running cold I guess. After the system is warm the mpg is drastically better so a longer commute looks much better and the battery is more in play. Looking forward to warm temps to see what I get on my short daily commute.

Ford Maverick Hybrid Power Meter and Brake Coach Usage (Video) B21EE5D4-CA73-4449-B4D2-E593BCB65E0E

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMO, just pay attention and learn what the truck is doing. Listen for when the engine turns on and form a driving style that minimizes it.

Another tip is in traffic to accelerate to speed quickly then briefly take your foot off the accelerator then reapply the accelerator pedal gently. This quickly puts the vehicle in electric only mode.
^ This is a pretty useful tip. I use it when I mess up with the pedal pressure.

Also, climate control (or at least heating) absolutely murders any possibility to get very high mpg. Or needing to go uphill a lot and want to do it at more than a snails pace.
Sponsored