Sponsored

Hybrid owners: for those that have off-roaded how did it go?

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm looking to do some light to medium off-roading to reach some trail heads for hiking and camping. Nothing crazy like rock crawling.

What has your experience been like in situations like this and what sort of recovery equipment did you bring with you

EB: Yes I know AWD is better for off-roading and I'm not looking to do things where I need AWD. And no I shouldn't have gotten an AWD either, going down fire roads to reach trailheads will consist of 1% of my total driving. Doesn't make sense for me to spend extra for the EB+AWD for 1% of my usage.
Sponsored

Ponchsox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just be careful with traversing over rocks or any objects as the battery pack sits underneath, unprotected.

JDisME

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Area 51 Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I put some Falken wildpeak at3ws on. Maybe -2mpg difference. I have a small fishing trail next to my house that it traverses pretty well. It’s downhill on the way in and uphill on the way back. The only time I slip is when it’s muddy and I’m going uphill where the weight is distributed less toward the front wheels. I just turn traction control off and send it. Clearance is a problem but I just try and stay out of the ruts the best I can. I put the windows down and the drive is pretty peaceful as it’s in electric most of the time. just go easy the electric torque in the mud makes a slippery mess of your not careful.

OP
OP
Hardening2753

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just be careful with traversing over rocks or any objects as the battery pack sits underneath, unprotected.
I thought about that a few times. When I get the truck I will sketch out a bash plate for it, I know it has a crazy thick metal bar protecting it but it does not cover all of it

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm actually amazed the hybrids are not AWD. My Escape was and I just assumed all the MAVs were too. My escape averaged about 40mpg with the AWD 2.5L and that was me not trying at all. I didn't even know they were exclusive FWD until I started lurking here.

But I'd also recommend being careful. Softer soils are not friendly to FWD vehicles. Other than that... YOLO. Send it.

Personally I never travel anywhere without gear to self recover (minus a winch on the Mav), and just know that sometimes even the simple stuff like throwing a floor mat under the tires can get you out of a small pickle. And majority of our service roads are pretty sketchy. I also carry a chainsaw when I'm going out deep in the sticks. I've had a tree fall and block the road on the way back... Wasn't there heading out. Stuff like that - really subjective but just be safe and be prepared. Pack gear just in case you need to stay overnight - ya never know.

Sponsored

BoskoPColtrane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bosko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I t
I'm looking to do some light to medium off-roading to reach some trail heads for hiking and camping. Nothing crazy like rock crawling.

What has your experience been like in situations like this and what sort of recovery equipment did you bring with you

EB: Yes I know AWD is better for off-roading and I'm not looking to do things where I need AWD. And no I shouldn't have gotten an AWD either, going down fire roads to reach trailheads will consist of 1% of my total driving. Doesn't make sense for me to spend extra for the EB+AWD for 1% of my usage.
I think of my hybrid Maverick as a Ford escape with an open truck bed. Anywhere I wouldn’t take a small suv I wouldn’t take this truck.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Must Haves:

Ford Maverick Hybrid owners: for those that have off-roaded how did it go? IMG_4321

Falken Wildpeak at3w

Ford Maverick Hybrid owners: for those that have off-roaded how did it go? IMG_4324

Vehicle Recovery Kit
https://a.co/d/4HrINKP

Ford Maverick Hybrid owners: for those that have off-roaded how did it go? IMG_4323

Traction Pads
https://a.co/d/0PowA2S

I know, I know. Most 4x4er’s would laugh at this but you have to think like a car with the Maverick hybrid.

Keep this handy!
Ford Maverick Hybrid owners: for those that have off-roaded how did it go? IMG_4325

Last edited:

Deleted member 1483

I have installed falken wildpeak trail tires as a compromise between all season tires and really heavy duty all terrain tires.

I recommend this even if you just regularly traverse gravel roads as it makes the truck much more capable and comfortable on that kind of terrain.

I’ve gone to forest service roads and have had no issues getting stuck. I’ve gone up really steep dirt/rock driveways and even with wheel slip never lose momentum.

For difficult stuff I recommend you leave the truck in normal and disable traction control.

If you are going a little faster rally type stuff (please try not to do this), I recommend traction control on and use slippery mode.

If you are crawling slowly up or downhill use L mode. It’s not a real low range mode but I like that it keeps me from gaining too much momentum.

Do NOT go over obstacles that could strike the bottom of the truck. The ground clearance is not great and damage could result.

The angles/break over of the truck are poor too. You will scrape the front or rear if you try to climb too steep suddenly.

If your definition of off-roading is basically bad roads, dirt paths, or fields then you will do just fine.

If it is rock crawling, mud, or anything requiring articulation you will probably not be fine. You’ll always need front traction to make it anywhere.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What they ^^^ said.

And if you think something is "sketchy", don't do it without some practice, experience, tools noted by other people above. And get out and look at what you plan to drive over/ through.

I used to beat up a tiny Subaru in early 90s in Wyoming- but it was a cheap cheap car, not a more expensive truck.

One time I was boy scout doing some kind of volunteer work, we were out at the city dump, in a tiny toyota car. Traction wasn't an issue on mostly flat ground, but leaving the driver hit a rock and put a hole in the bottom of the thin metal gas tank. You just never know what kind of stuff can get broken!

OP
OP
Hardening2753

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hardening2753

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have installed falken wildpeak trail tires as a compromise between all season tires and really heavy duty all terrain tires.

I recommend this even if you just regularly traverse gravel roads as it makes the truck much more capable and comfortable on that kind of terrain.

I’ve gone to forest service roads and have had no issues getting stuck. I’ve gone up really steep dirt/rock driveways and even with wheel slip never lose momentum.

For difficult stuff I recommend you leave the truck in normal and disable traction control.

If you are going a little faster rally type stuff (please try not to do this), I recommend traction control on and use slippery mode.

If you are crawling slowly up or downhill use L mode. It’s not a real low range mode but I like that it keeps me from gaining too much momentum.

Do NOT go over obstacles that could strike the bottom of the truck. The ground clearance is not great and damage could result.

The angles/break over of the truck are poor too. You will scrape the front or rear if you try to climb too steep suddenly.

If your definition of off-roading is basically bad roads, dirt paths, or fields then you will do just fine.

If it is rock crawling, mud, or anything requiring articulation you will probably not be fine. You’ll always need front traction to make it anywhere.
Thanks for the advice!

I was actually looking at those tires too, I have to check if I can get a credit for my factory ones before I pull the trigger on this.

I will definitely not be going fast and only doing forest roads when it has not rained in a bit. I had an inkling that L would help but you telling definitely made it a option.

No rock crawling like activities for me lol

OP
OP
Hardening2753

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What they ^^^ said.

And if you think something is "sketchy", don't do it without some practice, experience, tools noted by other people above. And get out and look at what you plan to drive over/ through.

I used to beat up a tiny Subaru in early 90s in Wyoming- but it was a cheap cheap car, not a more expensive truck.

One time I was boy scout doing some kind of volunteer work, we were out at the city dump, in a tiny toyota car. Traction wasn't an issue on mostly flat ground, but leaving the driver hit a rock and put a hole in the bottom of the thin metal gas tank. You just never know what kind of stuff can get broken!
I do wish I had a beater to practice and learn on but I will take it slow and no sketchy stuff for me

OP
OP
Hardening2753

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I t

I think of my hybrid Maverick as a Ford escape with an open truck bed. Anywhere I wouldn’t take a small suv I wouldn’t take this truck.
I am still going to take it where trucks can go. Plenty of 2wd truck going off roading, naturally, they are less capable in mud, sand, and deeper holes so I will avoid those trails/fire roads

OP
OP
Hardening2753

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm actually amazed the hybrids are not AWD. My Escape was and I just assumed all the MAVs were too. My escape averaged about 40mpg with the AWD 2.5L and that was me not trying at all. I didn't even know they were exclusive FWD until I started lurking here.

But I'd also recommend being careful. Softer soils are not friendly to FWD vehicles. Other than that... YOLO. Send it.

Personally I never travel anywhere without gear to self recover (minus a winch on the Mav), and just know that sometimes even the simple stuff like throwing a floor mat under the tires can get you out of a small pickle. And majority of our service roads are pretty sketchy. I also carry a chainsaw when I'm going out deep in the sticks. I've had a tree fall and block the road on the way back... Wasn't there heading out. Stuff like that - really subjective but just be safe and be prepared. Pack gear just in case you need to stay overnight - ya never know.
They probably did not do AWD hybrid because it would bring the MPG sub 40 and marketing said no lol. Hopefully in the future it will be an option.

I'll be avoiding deeper pits, soft spots, rocks, but generally I'll be sending it with recovery equipment lol. The chainsaw suggestion is actually a great one! I was watching a few offroad vids and noticed a few times peeps would have to turn around due to trees

The off-roading will be for remote backpacking so my overnight kit will be will me

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Going on the type of roads you mentioned, you should be fine. Depending on the individual road, clearance may be your biggest thing to watch.

It's not like you're going rock climbing in the truck.
Sponsored