Sponsored

Hybrid Oil Change and the 700 torx screws?

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Anyone with a hybrid XLT had your oil changed at one of the Express Oil Change or similar type place? I wonder how much of a PAIN the techs at one of those would find the MULTIPLE torx-screwed cover? I have a great Express Oil change near me, reasonable enough to make it not worth my time or geezer knees to get down and do it myself. But I can see a tech in the pit going WTH when he encounters that cover. Anyone had any experience with that?
Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone with a hybrid XLT had your oil changed at one of the Express Oil Change or similar type place? I wonder how much of a PAIN the techs at one of those would find the MULTIPLE torx-screwed cover? I have a great Express Oil change near me, reasonable enough to make it not worth my time or geezer knees to get down and do it myself. But I can see a tech in the pit going WTH when he encounters that cover. Anyone had any experience with that?
Seems like replacing the cover properly is more of an issue.

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone with a hybrid XLT had your oil changed at one of the Express Oil Change or similar type place?
Hell no! Never!
Checking for leaks and whether they changed the filter or not is impossible with the shield on. I'd be willing to bet they don't put all the screws back on.
You might as well have the dealer do it.

OP
OP
Last Truck Ever

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hell no! Never!
Checking for leaks and whether they changed the filter or not is impossible with the shield on. I'd be willing to bet they don't put all the screws back on.
You might as well have the dealer do it.
And now you just raised a point I hadn't thought about. I'm old enough and. Have been driving long enough that it's practically habit for me to occasionally check to see if my vehicle is leaking oil on the pavement or my parking space or whatever. Would that cover on couldn't these things be leaking oil for a while before I ever noticed it?

Mav_27

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don’t do it. If an instant oil change place screws up you’ll have to fight them to pay for a fix(believe me I know). If the dealer screws up it’s covered. How much are you saving to take that chance, $20?

Sponsored

pawalsh610

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Maverick 1st Edition Lariat, Mazda 2
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And now you just raised a point I hadn't thought about. I'm old enough and. Have been driving long enough that it's practically habit for me to occasionally check to see if my vehicle is leaking oil on the pavement or my parking space or whatever. Would that cover on couldn't these things be leaking oil for a while before I ever noticed it?
Don't worry once they cut the holes for the recall there are plenty of routes for fluid to find its way to the pavement :geek:

OP
OP
Last Truck Ever

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don't worry once they cut the holes for the recall there are plenty of routes for fluid to find its way to the pavement :geek:
Is that cover really serving any purpose? Ive never had a vehicle with one, and I've driven all kinds.

Tyler

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2023 Mavrick (Hybrid)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is that cover really serving any purpose? Ive never had a vehicle with one, and I've driven all kinds.
Aerodynamics, mild underside protection, and increased dealer service department revenue.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I certainly wouldn't take a new vehicle to a 'speedy oil change', and the few times I did take my old Ford to one of those, it costed more than the Ford dealer oil change.

Sponsored

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those under body covers are very common, so Jiffy lube quickie types of oil change places are very used to them by now. Been common for many years.

Those places do tend to screw things up way too often though.

Possible problems seen over many years:
--- cross threaded pan plug
--- over or under tightened plug
--- over or under tightened oil filter
--- they "forget" to even put on a new filter
--- they over-fill it with oil, causing possible foaming (frothing) aeration issues
--- they use the wrong weight or type of oil
--- they fail to fill the oil filter up before installation, causing one dry start (OK, I'm picky about that)
--- they lose one or more torx screws or under/over tighten
--- they get oil stains on your upholstery inside

About seeing oil dripping thru the under body cover, yes the new Recall which puts more holes in the panel down there will allow you to detect dripping much sooner. (My previous '07 BMW 530xi's underbody cover would sponge up quite a bit of oil before dripping anything. I should have put a small hole or two down there myself.)

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Open the hood, shine a flashlight down there and you can see enough of the topside of the under engine guard to detect any fluid leaks.
As others have said, never take your truck to a quick oil change joint. Go to the dealer or a trusted local repair shop.

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been changing my own oil for probably 15+ years now. On my current car I have a fumoto valve installed in place of the oil pan plug and it makes the oil change super easy. If anyone here hasn't changed their oil before realize it's not very hard in general (I'd guess this very forum probably has a post somewhere that fully breaks down the process in fine detail).

For me it's actually more time efficient because the active time of doing the job might be less than the time it takes just to drive to the dealership/garage and back again. Plus I know the job was done right, if my vehicle is burning oil and I definitely saved some money. I guess I'd also add you get to know your vehicle just a little bit better. Perhaps you check some other fluid levels or wear items while you are doing this or just look around in there and see how things work. I'm not very good about checking this stuff but when I do an oil change I usually think to do it.
Sponsored