2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ecoboost, AWD, etc - Respect.
As I've commented a long time ago, your vehicles and their capabilities add prestige and status to the brand.

FWD hybrid in a regular little pickup. That should handle anything tried in an old Ford Ranger/Mazda B2500 back in the day, which is plenty. Failing once in a while teaches your limits and it's damn fun.

Be safe, plan reasonably, and hope we all get our pickup sooner than later.
Sponsored

Bodageta

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Chevrolet K1500, 1989 Corvette Conv
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got stuck in the backyard of my old house using my 2wd Chevrolet Colorado to pull up bushes out of the ground with a chain and my front tow hooks. I also would spin and tear up my backyard hauling lumber behind my house to build a wooden deck. I had to pull my truck out with my wife’s Mazda Tribute Mini SUV. This was a smooth yard in a subdivision. So, I’m buying the fwd for gas mileage with todays gas prices and considering I drive a lot of miles but otherwise I would never ever consider a truck that isn’t 4wd. When I was stuck I said never a 2wd again. I bought a z71 4wd which I love but I can’t afford the gas. 2wd here I come. I’m sure when I get stuck I’ll once again say never again.

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
F95568A4-F641-4D60-BCFE-47273F5915A0.jpeg

Got a bit lost in the mountains of north Colorado on a fire road but the hybrid maverick (and stock tires) REALLY impressed me.

and prior to this, we had a FX4 Maverick so I feel like I can gauge the differences.

I can say with certainty, the hybrid is going to be perfectly fine for 95% of you who want to go on your weekend excursions but are also worried if it can get you to the campsite, trailhead, forest service road etc…. It can. I even passed through several small water runoffs and mud/ although def nothing too serious.

does it have the AWD for steeper grades, mud & when articulation takes a wheel of the ground? Nope. But it might just surprise you and considering $5+ gas prices and increased MSRP… if you don’t need to add 4K tow… I no longer see the point of getting an EcoBoost AWD. Saying this because if you really need to off-road, just get the Ranger.

Sorry had videos but they’re too large to upload.

If I had to rate this road, thinking of how our old FX4 lifter F150 could handle almost anything… I’d rate the road we were on a 5/10 at it’s most difficult parts. So don’t get the wrong idea here, the hybrid maverick is no off-road beast but capable for most peoples needs it’s going to exceed your expectations.

BC69973C-2F35-484D-B21A-B4E048C5639B.jpeg

D00EC1F1-B3CE-4E12-BF5B-3E01F44524B8.jpeg

AFD9905B-EDB3-4E86-A66A-C7893C0F7899.jpeg

1C29C2F2-5DFB-4CC3-8071-7AB5928A3877.jpeg
Nice post! Love the photos. However to your point about why you’d need the eco… its not offroading for 99% of people. Its AWD for the snow lol but nice to know our FWD compadres can still manage on a moderate trail or two. Thanks for the post!

Mike_FL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 XLT on order
Seems very capable for the price, and what the average person would be asking it to do. I would have seriously considered the Hybrid and doing without AWD, but I need the 4k towing package for pulling a bout around. It's the perfect small truck if you dont need to pull anything.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I grew up in Wyoming and laughed at 2wd pickups- "that's not a truck". Now I live in the Southeast and haven't seen snow in years, and I TOTALLY understand why there are still TONS of little old 2wd Rangers and S10s running around.

Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for confirming what I've already experienced!

If the EcoBoost was 4x4 instead of AWD I would have considered going that route. But after doing hundreds of backwood roads in my AWD Element I know how rare the rear wheels are turning, and help. The Maverick's clearance makes a world of difference. After already doing some pretty rough mountain trails in the Hybrid I would not trade my FWD Hybrid's 43 mpg for the difference. If I think I just might need them, I keep an trailer hitch electric winch and rope under the back seat and a shovel in the bed...and I'll keep my 43 mpg.

Last edited:

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice post! Love the photos. However to your point about why you’d need the eco… its not offroading for 99% of people. Its AWD for the snow lol but nice to know our FWD compadres can still manage on a moderate trail or two. Thanks for the post!
Living in Colorado, it's likely OP will see plenty of snow in their FWD hybrid, just as I will in the mountains of Utah. I've never had a single issue in 15+ yrs of snow shoeing in the Wasatch Mountains in compact sedans with snow tires , not concerned about the FWD hybrid Maverick with some Nokians.
Sponsored