First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dad's philosophy was that you only needed 4 wheel drive to get out if you were dumb enough to get stuck in 2 wheel drive.

FWD is an amazing difference over RWD. I spent 40 years driving in snow / ice / slush / freezing rain and never once had a 4x4. Front wheel drive and snow tires and if you know how to drive its all you need.

Of course if you really want to get off the road and try to get stuck, that's different. AWD all the way.
The great debate haha. Yes, 4WD to get OUT vs IN is always good philosophy. I think heā€™s right and smart to think that way .
Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I agree but I donā€™t thing the majority of maverick owners are really doing this? Thatā€™s why for gas and price savings the hybrid makes most sense. I donā€™t think the Mav should really be in an off/road package just my opinion even after having one. I will say the FX4 maverick is amazing though considering just AWD with no hi/low or lockers a traditional off road vehicle would have. Just canā€™t help but think why not get a Ranger if you need that heavy off roading. I think this will be more influential decision with the refreshed Ranger as the current one is somewhat a flop if you ask me.
Absolutely, most will not be doing even any forest service roads. For me, the current gen Ranger is meh. Old platform with 2012 Focus interior. That's why I went with the Maverick, knowing the limitations. But I have been pleasantly surprised. It's come through for me.

The new Ranger intrigues me. I may pick one up in a few years.

djarms12

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wildfire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Audi A3 TDI
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Today was in 50Ā°s. Not too high up, somewhere around 7,000 ft. This burn area was from 2012 & 2020 fires. The dead trees definitely were an accelerant. Aspens shooting up quickly and lower ground veg. as well.
The reason I ask is that I plan to take my hybrid to Colorado in August and camp in a campground at 10,000 feet elevation. The last time I camped at this campground was 2016 and I could see the pine bark beetle infestation in the high county in the South San Juan Wilderness. By 2018, this campground closed for 5 years bc of the dead trees and concerns with tree fall. The campground is now cleared and open to camp.

I'm with you regarding the hybrid. I'm not worried what it can do as off roading is not my plan. But yes, the clearance is a must. To get to this campground, I have a 25-mile drive on a dirt road with wash boards, curves, potholes, exposed rocks and rain run-off groves. I've always said you only want to drive this road once to get to your destination and second to return to the black top, as it is a bruising drive. I have no doubt the hybrid can handle it.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice to hear about the Hybrids capabilities - That being said lots of folks don't want a Ranger or equivalent - We got 4K/FX and needed AWD - I get to places that will get 2WD vehicles stuck, yeah not all the time but still. Hoping for an AWD/Hybrid Mav that can tow 3k - Then we trade up on that. Enjoy that Backcountry ! Hoping the fire season isn't too nuts this year.

bill67

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, Iā€™d you can skillfully keep the pedal so the truck stays in electric mode (EV coach display helps on this) the electric torque really helps creep up the steep hills with the front wheel drive w/o slipping traction. Although Iā€™m convinced with even basic A/T tires on the hybrid youā€™d go almost anywhere the FX4 version can go.
I tried normal, slippery, and eco modes on my adventure. Indifferent to them but I do think eco helped not send too much power too quickly unintentionally.
That's the name of game tires.

Sponsored

FordHybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I live in northwest Washington and black ice is more of an issue than snow, most of the time. We have had a KIA Sorento FWD with winter tires and a KIA Niro hybrid FWD and have had no issues. FWD really is different from RWD. Unless you are really into off-roading, FWD with winter tires works just fine. The Maverick Hybrid is just fine for the majority of people. We are still waiting for our XLT Hybrid.

Hagzfilmz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ordered) 2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.5 Cactus-G Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
F95568A4-F641-4D60-BCFE-47273F5915A0.jpeg

Got a bit lost in the mountains of north Colorado on a fire road but the hybrid maverick (and stock tires) REALLY impressed me.

and prior to this, we had a FX4 Maverick so I feel like I can gauge the differences.

I can say with certainty, the hybrid is going to be perfectly fine for 95% of you who want to go on your weekend excursions but are also worried if it can get you to the campsite, trailhead, forest service road etcā€¦. It can. I even passed through several small water runoffs and mud/ although def nothing too serious.

does it have the AWD for steeper grades, mud & when articulation takes a wheel of the ground? Nope. But it might just surprise you and considering $5+ gas prices and increased MSRPā€¦ if you donā€™t need to add 4K towā€¦ I no longer see the point of getting an EcoBoost AWD. Saying this because if you really need to off-road, just get the Ranger.

Sorry had videos but theyā€™re too large to upload.

If I had to rate this road, thinking of how our old FX4 lifter F150 could handle almost anythingā€¦ Iā€™d rate the road we were on a 5/10 at itā€™s most difficult parts. So donā€™t get the wrong idea here, the hybrid maverick is no off-road beast but capable for most peoples needs itā€™s going to exceed your expectations.

BC69973C-2F35-484D-B21A-B4E048C5639B.jpeg

D00EC1F1-B3CE-4E12-BF5B-3E01F44524B8.jpeg

AFD9905B-EDB3-4E86-A66A-C7893C0F7899.jpeg

1C29C2F2-5DFB-4CC3-8071-7AB5928A3877.jpeg
Iā€™ve been waiting for a post like this so thanks! Love how people think the hybrid will not make it 5ft on a dirt road because itā€™s not AWD. God for bid you actually put on a set of all terrain tires on a maverick hybrid that would just be evil! Hey itā€™s a truck, some of us like to go camping somewhere other than an asphalt parking lot. Some of us have dirt bikes and want to hit the track. Some of us have a favorite fishing hole off the beaten path. My Maverick Hybrid (if it ever shows up) will be perfect for all of this and more. Before anyone tells me how I should just get a f150 4wd well I have a lariat supercrew 4wd that will be spending most itā€™s time in the driveway as the Maverick will be my new adventure vehicle and I will not have to spend $165 dollars to fill the tank! Please let us know if you post your videos on YouTube would love to see themšŸ’ŖšŸ¼šŸ’Æ

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great info! Get to your campsite and start a camp fire with your hybrid battery! Lol! Kidding!!!

I love my hybrid XLT! Drove it to Vegas this weekend then San Diego next week!

My very purpose for this truck is the haul beach/camping gears so I'm glad that it exceeds all that!

First Name
Alva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Fords, 1 Mercedes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Got a bit lost in the mountains of north Colorado on a fire road but the hybrid maverick (and stock tires) REALLY impressed me.

and prior to this, we had a FX4 Maverick so I feel like I can gauge the differences.

I can say with certainty, the hybrid is going to be perfectly fine for 95% of you who want to go on your weekend excursions but are also worried if it can get you to the campsite, trailhead, forest service road etcā€¦. It can. I even passed through several small water runoffs and mud/ although def nothing too serious.

does it have the AWD for steeper grades, mud & when articulation takes a wheel of the ground? Nope. But it might just surprise you and considering $5+ gas prices and increased MSRPā€¦ if you donā€™t need to add 4K towā€¦ I no longer see the point of getting an EcoBoost AWD. Saying this because if you really need to off-road, just get the Ranger.

If I had to rate this road, thinking of how our old FX4 lifter F150 could handle almost anythingā€¦ Iā€™d rate the road we were on a 5/10 at itā€™s most difficult parts. So donā€™t get the wrong idea here, the hybrid maverick is no off-road beast but capable for most peoples needs itā€™s going to exceed your expectations.

BC69973C-2F35-484D-B21A-B4E048C5639B.jpeg

AFD9905B-EDB3-4E86-A66A-C7893C0F7899.jpeg

1C29C2F2-5DFB-4CC3-8071-7AB5928A3877.jpeg
Thanks for the info, a beautiful Truck, and beautiful country.

Sponsored

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Thanks for confirming the Hybrid's capability. By the way, great photos. Thanks for posting.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

...FWD really is different from RWD. Unless you are really into off-roading, FWD with winter tires works just fine...
ā˜This.
I think a lot of people don't realize the capability of a FWD vehicle in snow - especially when equipped with decent winter tires. Perhaps they've always owned a 4WD. Or they previously owned a light in the ass RWD pickup that got stuck in places a FWD vehicle would easily traverse. There's a huge difference between FWD and RWD. There's also definitely a place for AWD trucks. But for the avearge Maverick buyer, FWD will be all they need.

Thanks to OP for posting his experience.

1stE

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
muscle car
Lookit this guy with TWO Mavericks already, sheesh.
Well when your offered more than you payed originally itā€™s a no brainer all of us who ordered last July or august mostly have received their trucks I ordered both gas and hybrid

mjkladis

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Iā€™ve taken a stock Sebring deep enough through trails that I rolled up on a family on four wheelers. Iā€™m sure the Maverick will be perfectly capable for basic jaunts through some fire roads. Adding a more all-terrain tire would help even more.
Sponsored