Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y
Trim
XLT
F95568A4-F641-4D60-BCFE-47273F5915A0.jpeg

Got a bit lost in the mountains of north Colorado on a fire road but the hybrid maverick (and stock tires) REALLY impressed me.

and prior to this, we had a FX4 Maverick so I feel like I can gauge the differences.

I can say with certainty, the hybrid is going to be perfectly fine for 95% of you who want to go on your weekend excursions but are also worried if it can get you to the campsite, trailhead, forest service road etc…. It can. I even passed through several small water runoffs and mud/ although def nothing too serious.

does it have the AWD for steeper grades, mud & when articulation takes a wheel of the ground? Nope. But it might just surprise you and considering $5+ gas prices and increased MSRP… if you don’t need to add 4K tow… I no longer see the point of getting an EcoBoost AWD. Saying this because if you really need to off-road, just get the Ranger.

Sorry had videos but they’re too large to upload.

If I had to rate this road, thinking of how our old FX4 lifter F150 could handle almost anything… I’d rate the road we were on a 5/10 at it’s most difficult parts. So don’t get the wrong idea here, the hybrid maverick is no off-road beast but capable for most peoples needs it’s going to exceed your expectations.

BC69973C-2F35-484D-B21A-B4E048C5639B.jpeg

D00EC1F1-B3CE-4E12-BF5B-3E01F44524B8.jpeg

AFD9905B-EDB3-4E86-A66A-C7893C0F7899.jpeg

1C29C2F2-5DFB-4CC3-8071-7AB5928A3877.jpeg

Snax

XL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL+, 2016 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Trim
XL
I used to drive many challenging Colorado roads in my old '89 2WD Pickup, so I was hoping that my hybrid Maverick would be up to the challenge. Sounds like it'll indeed do the trick! Thanks for putting it to the test.

I had also taken my AWD Honda Element into the mountains a fair bit, but the clearance was terrible--and I could never get it into places that I used to drive my old truck. In most offroad situations, I think that clearance is more important than 4WD. A little driver skill (choosing good lines, properly judging how much power to apply) goes a long way, but a sufficient clearance is crucial. While I know that the Maverick doesn't have a ton of clearance, it does have a lot more than my Element did, and probably as much or more than my old Toyota.

My only concern is the front-wheel drive on steep & chunky hills. Sounds like you did alright, which is reassuring.

OP
OP
mrjspence

mrjspence

XLT
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y
Trim
XLT
I used to drive many challenging Colorado roads in my old '89 2WD Pickup, so I was hoping that my hybrid Maverick would be up to the challenge. Sounds like it'll indeed do the trick! Thanks for putting it to the test.

I had also taken my AWD Honda Element into the mountains a fair bit, but the clearance was terrible--and I could never get it into places that I used to drive my old truck. In most offroad situations, I think that clearance is more important than 4WD. A little driver skill (choosing good lines, properly judging how much power to apply) goes a long way, but a sufficient clearance is crucial. While I know that the Maverick doesn't have a ton of clearance, it does have a lot more than my Element did, and probably as much or more than my old Toyota.

My only concern is the front-wheel drive on steep & chunky hills. Sounds like you did alright, which is reassuring.
Yes, I’d you can skillfully keep the pedal so the truck stays in electric mode (EV coach display helps on this) the electric torque really helps creep up the steep hills with the front wheel drive w/o slipping traction. Although I’m convinced with even basic A/T tires on the hybrid you’d go almost anywhere the FX4 version can go.
I tried normal, slippery, and eco modes on my adventure. Indifferent to them but I do think eco helped not send too much power too quickly unintentionally.

Jatrax

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Trim
Undecided
My dad's philosophy was that you only needed 4 wheel drive to get out if you were dumb enough to get stuck in 2 wheel drive.

FWD is an amazing difference over RWD. I spent 40 years driving in snow / ice / slush / freezing rain and never once had a 4x4. Front wheel drive and snow tires and if you know how to drive its all you need.

Of course if you really want to get off the road and try to get stuck, that's different. AWD all the way.

ladyhawkgt

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
Trim
Undecided
F95568A4-F641-4D60-BCFE-47273F5915A0.jpeg

Got a bit lost in the mountains of north Colorado on a fire road but the hybrid maverick (and stock tires) REALLY impressed me.

and prior to this, we had a FX4 Maverick so I feel like I can gauge the differences.

I can say with certainty, the hybrid is going to be perfectly fine for 95% of you who want to go on your weekend excursions but are also worried if it can get you to the campsite, trailhead, forest service road etc…. It can. I even passed through several small water runoffs and mud/ although def nothing too serious.

does it have the AWD for steeper grades, mud & when articulation takes a wheel of the ground? Nope. But it might just surprise you and considering $5+ gas prices and increased MSRP… if you don’t need to add 4K tow… I no longer see the point of getting an EcoBoost AWD. Saying this because if you really need to off-road, just get the Ranger.

Sorry had videos but they’re too large to upload.

If I had to rate this road, thinking of how our old FX4 lifter F150 could handle almost anything… I’d rate the road we were on a 5/10 at it’s most difficult parts. So don’t get the wrong idea here, the hybrid maverick is no off-road beast but capable for most peoples needs it’s going to exceed your expectations.

BC69973C-2F35-484D-B21A-B4E048C5639B.jpeg

D00EC1F1-B3CE-4E12-BF5B-3E01F44524B8.jpeg

AFD9905B-EDB3-4E86-A66A-C7893C0F7899.jpeg

1C29C2F2-5DFB-4CC3-8071-7AB5928A3877.jpeg
maybe you can upload your vids to youtube so we can see all that Hybrid glory!

bgn

Lariat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Trim
Lariat
Having trudged my AWD/FX4 since December through both the Olympics and Cascades, I can tell you that there would have been many locations I would never have attempted in a 2WD vehicle.

Mud, snow, you name it. You don't need AWD until you do. And getting power down to all 4 wheels is even more important when you're limited by the articulation of a unibody vehicle.

djarms12

XLT
First Name
Wildfire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Audi A3 TDI; 2006 Nissan Frontier
Trim
XLT
What was the temperature in Colorado Mountains? What was the elevation (you were high enough to see a grove of Columbines)? Also, I noticed the trees. Were they burned in a forest fire or dead as a result of the beetle infestation?

OP
OP
mrjspence

mrjspence

XLT
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y
Trim
XLT
What was the temperature in Colorado Mountains? What was the elevation (you were high enough to see a grove of Columbines)? Also, I noticed the trees. Were they burned in a forest fire or dead as a result of the beetle infestation?
Today was in 50°s. Not too high up, somewhere around 7,000 ft. This burn area was from 2012 & 2020 fires. The dead trees definitely were an accelerant. Aspens shooting up quickly and lower ground veg. as well.

OP
OP
mrjspence

mrjspence

XLT
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y
Trim
XLT
Having trudged my AWD/FX4 since December through both the Olympics and Cascades, I can tell you that there would have been many locations I would never have attempted in a 2WD vehicle.

Mud, snow, you name it. You don't need AWD until you do. And getting power down to all 4 wheels is even more important when you're limited by the articulation of a unibody vehicle.
I agree but I don’t thing the majority of maverick owners are really doing this? That’s why for gas and price savings the hybrid makes most sense. I don’t think the Mav should really be in an off/road package just my opinion even after having one. I will say the FX4 maverick is amazing though considering just AWD with no hi/low or lockers a traditional off road vehicle would have. Just can’t help but think why not get a Ranger if you need that heavy off roading. I think this will be more influential decision with the refreshed Ranger as the current one is somewhat a flop if you ask me.