Sponsored

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
So now I have 500 miles on the original tank of gas from the dealer, 60% city, 40% hwy in normal drive mode. I drive pretty conservatively but am not trying to milk the mileage. So it’s clear at this point that I can get a little over 600 miles per tank. Your driving style and terrain will certainly affect what you get.

821194AD-9D11-42DD-B3A0-24C28024F741.jpeg
Also in California, where the weather is not like the frozen tundra.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How is the test poorly? They used the same method many adopted to calculate actual mpg. Ford is notorious for optimistic indicated MPG and they admitted to it. My production 2.7L and Ethan powerboost F150 has optimistic indicated numbers when checked agaisnt at the pump.
The biggest issue was they were trying to base their calculations on a "fill-up" that was just over 2 gallons. That can cause a huge margin of error. IIRC, their top off went from about 2.3 to about 2.7 gallons. If even a 0.2 gallon overfill versus their first fill up would have had a 3+ mpg difference. Even full tank calculations will be off a bit, but the margins will be low enough to be helpful when filling up 10, 15, 20+ tanks.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Heck, I will gladly take 35-37 in mid-winter on the highway for 400 miles.
In the coldest months I'm fully expecting my combined tanks to be low or mid 30s. Just the way it is for hybrids. It will balance out in the summer tho

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So now I have 500 miles on the original tank of gas from the dealer, 60% city, 40% hwy in normal drive mode. I drive pretty conservatively but am not trying to milk the mileage. So it’s clear at this point that I can get a little over 600 miles per tank. Your driving style and terrain will certainly affect what you get.
When you do fill-up at the pump could you do a manual MPG calculation using the gas receipt:

MPG = <miles-driven> / <gallons put in tank from fill-up>

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In the coldest months I'm fully expecting my combined tanks to be low or mid 30s. Just the way it is for hybrids. It will balance out in the summer tho
Yup, fuel economy does drop like a rock during winter, but it's not just the temperature. Winter gas, which is what's available in colder climates, doesn't burn as efficiency as summer gas due to a set of additives that keep it from freezing. That change nails not just hybrids, but all vehicles. In the past I used to try everything I could to max fuel economy in my Hybrid, like only running the heat when needed to defrost, it helped a little. Since I work outdoors away that didn't bother me, but I couldn't see most people doing it. I always end up with a 4-5MPG drop during the winter, so I just stopped trying and it almost made no difference at all.

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This makes me really happy. I can't wait to get 500-600 miles off a single tank and not have to get gas at Costco 1-2 times a week.

clif442004

First Name
richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
The biggest issue was they were trying to base their calculations on a "fill-up" that was just over 2 gallons. That can cause a huge margin of error. IIRC, their top off went from about 2.3 to about 2.7 gallons. If even a 0.2 gallon overfill versus their first fill up would have had a 3+ mpg difference. Even full tank calculations will be off a bit, but the margins will be low enough to be helpful when filling up 10, 15, 20+ tanks.
The fact that the guy has 503 miles on his vehicle and over a 1/4 tank of gas left in the tank, all these other calculation wizards mean nothing to his, and hopefully mine soon🤞 financial gains per mile with an awesome Ford little Truck😉
Sponsored