First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was amazed that Hybrid made it up and down the mountain. I will be hauling some firewood at my northern retreat but won't try hauling nearly as much, so it seems the FWD Hybrid is enough "work truck" for me.

With all the Hybrid videos it seems TFL is really focusing on what the outer limits are for the Mav's standard drivetrain. They've made multiple test videos using XL/XLT Hybrids: the towing gauntlet, 0-60 shootout(Mazda), Maverick vs F-150 drag race, and now hauling in the mountains. But I'm not complaining as I want to see the Hybrid tested. I'm sure EB drivetrain tests will follow.

But I have to ask, didn't David seem to be quite a knowledgeable fanboy of the Maverick for a random rancher in the middle of nowhere? After viewing I was left with a feeling he's somehow associated/sponsored by Ford for this video? It doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things, but I just felt this video was more pre-planned than other TFL videos...sadly as I get older I'm a bit more cynical.

That aside, I'm still a Mav Hybrid fanboy (not sponsored by Ford and awaiting my Hybrid).
I think if it was pre-planned the chase vehicle would've been an F-150, not a Ram. Sounds like the rancher has an interest in the Maverick, and was willing to use his ranch and be on video so he could check it out.
Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, very refreshing, and knowing the limits lets everyone make a better informed decision about when its wise to give up the hybrids fuel economy for say a AWD FX4. Moreover, they seem quite honest in their reviews, so it doesn't just turn into a Ford commercial.
I do wonder if Ford knew what they were planning for this video. Probably not.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not bad at all, very impressed. Lucky for them that was all dead, dry wood!

After seeing that, I won't be afraid to put a yard of soil or mulch in the back of my Maverick when it comes. Hoping to get it at the depot, not in bags though. Not sure if the bucket for the loaders is small enough to do that though, since the loaders around here tend to have 6ft buckets.

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think if it was pre-planned the chase vehicle would've been an F-150, not a Ram. Sounds like the rancher has an interest in the Maverick, and was willing to use his ranch and be on video so he could check it out.
I think he mentioned his wife was getting one, for the size & ease of parking.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think he mentioned his wife was getting one, for the size & ease of parking.
Yes. That's probably why he was so interested

Pernell

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pernell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the Maverick did great for a front wheel drive vehicle on all season tires. Plus they loaded it 200 pounds over gross weight. An AWD FX4 would have been the best choice for this test but I was impressed with how the FWD Hybrid handled it.
That’s the one Ford Seen them to test out.
They will getting the FX4 one soon.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was amazed that Hybrid made it up and down the mountain. I will be hauling some firewood at my northern retreat but won't try hauling nearly as much, so it seems the FWD Hybrid is enough "work truck" for me.

With all the Hybrid videos it seems TFL is really focusing on what the outer limits are for the Mav's standard drivetrain. They've made multiple test videos using XL/XLT Hybrids: the towing gauntlet, 0-60 shootout(Mazda), Maverick vs F-150 drag race, and now hauling in the mountains. But I'm not complaining as I want to see the Hybrid tested. I'm sure EB drivetrain tests will follow.

But I have to ask, didn't David seem to be quite a knowledgeable fanboy of the Maverick for a random rancher in the middle of nowhere? After viewing I was left with a feeling he's somehow associated/sponsored by Ford for this video? It doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things, but I just felt this video was more pre-planned than other TFL videos...sadly as I get older I'm a bit more cynical.

That aside, I'm still a Mav Hybrid fanboy (not sponsored by Ford and awaiting my Hybrid).
But they make money from this channel - so I think all are pre planned and they expect a revenue stream from their videos. I think it should be expected.

Sponsored

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
And people were worried about front wheel drive maverick in the snow!. . .Also I have felt the TFL guys started getting friendly with the maverick once they got one. The fact they have a hybrid means they did not buy it like they do a lot of there other vehicles. Does not totally diminish there review but something to be aware of.

Just an edit, I noticed there language changes from calling it a truck suv thing, to calling it a truck. I think the Ford people asked them to do that.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And people were worried about front wheel drive maverick in the snow!. . .Also I have felt the TFL guys started getting friendly with the maverick once they got one. The fact they have a hybrid means they did not buy it like they do a lot of there other vehicles. Does not totally diminish there review but something to be aware of.

Just an edit, I noticed there language changes from calling it a truck suv thing, to calling it a truck. I think the Ford people asked them to do that.
There is definitely a lot of Ford's marketing dept evident in their videos. Still, they loaded it up and put it to work. Regardless, I was surprised at how well the FWD handled the climb.

On a side note, it seems like it would be possible to put a hash mark on the inside of the rear wheel well so that when it's fully loaded, the top of the tire is even with the mark. Most people don't have weight stations readily available and that seems like a simple and cheap way to make sure you don't overload your truck.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is definitely a lot of Ford's marketing dept evident in their videos. Still, they loaded it up and put it to work. Regardless, I was surprised at how well the FWD handled the climb.

On a side note, it seems like it would be possible to put a hash mark on the inside of the rear wheel well so that when it's fully loaded, the top of the tire is even with the mark. Most people don't have weight stations readily available and that seems like a simple and cheap way to make sure you don't overload your truck.
Of course! They are borrowing Ford's vehicle and whatever promo information Ford provides. But I seriously doubt anyone at Ford would have suggested or advised these guys to take the hybrid that far off road and then overload it with logs. Official press events are very controlled so the marketing team knows that there won't be any negative surprises. This video could've gone sideways in a number of ways - getting stuck, overheating the eCVT, bending the frame, who knows what else.

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many clunkers
Hi all! Tommy from the video chiming in.

Thanks for sharing this to your community, awesome to see.

Just to clear things up I nor anyone in the video or company is paid by ford.

And we certainly did not run this vid by Ford before producing it. I’m actually half expecting the “what were you thinking phone call” 😂😂😂

As for planning, there is a shocking lack of planning on these shoots at the ranch. We literally just show up and see what needs to be done when we get there. Sometimes it goes to plan, a lot of the time it doesn’t ha!

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all! Tommy from the video chiming in.

Thanks for sharing this to your community, awesome to see.

Just to clear things up I nor anyone in the video or company is paid by ford.

And we certainly did not run this vid by Ford before producing it. I’m actually half expecting the “what were you thinking phone call” 😂😂😂

As for planning, there is a shocking lack of planning on these shoots at the ranch. We literally just show up and see what needs to be done when we get there. Sometimes it goes to plan, a lot of the time it doesn’t ha!
Awesome to see you here, Tommy. Your videos have been terrific, and I really appreciate the transparency and integrity of your team. Thank you!
Sponsored