First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I towed a Ford Taurus once with a 1983 Honda Civic. Both cars survived, but it was only 10blocks or so. 0/10 don't recommend!
Sponsored

Huchipapa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Trooper; '04 9-3; '13 Outback; '24 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Towing a vehicle using a dolly isn’t the same as towing on a trailer. Rolling resistance is quite different for each.
I was going to say, if using a dolly isn’t weight reduced by the towed car’s back axle?

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Considering it has the same tow hitch and brakes as the 4k, I’m sure the limiting factors are the transmission and cooling system. But that probably only comes in to play going up hill or higher speeds.
I second cooling system even on the flat after reading where someone posted that HVB charge/discharge was much reduced when ambient temp was (if I remember correctly) at 113°F. Most likely to reduce electric heat moreso in transmission than in HVB.

Sponsored

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Towing a vehicle using a dolly isn’t the same as towing on a trailer. Rolling resistance is quite different for each.
Rolling resistance is a result of tires and to a lesser degree wheel bearings. Since it's still pulling 4 rolling wheels there will not be much difference.

Tongue weight will probably be less with the dolly, so less vertical weight on the hitch.

MAVERICK MIKE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK HYBRID INCOMING
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is job security for the service department pushing vehicles past the rated amounts. Just think one step ahead incase an animal jumped out and you had to hit the breaks. If you think you are doing something sketch just don't do it.

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm just trying to fathom the idea that the dolly itself weights about 800lb. Really? Seems like a lot to me.

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yesterday my brother and I were in a pinch when we needed to tow my aunts totalled chevy sonic. I offered my Maverick to help, hooked up a car dolly (about 800lbs) and then the car (about 2700lbs). We towed it about 20 miles and we got about 22.6 MPG in tow haul mode, granted we weren't exactly trying to be efficient. The truck handled it like a champ, no sway, no jerking, no real struggle. I love my Maverick and it truly is built Ford Tough.

received_252364013794131.jpeg
I seldom post, but I had to login to say that 22+ mpg is pretty damned good!

Sponsored

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Brakes are generally an overlooked factor in tow ratings. But I figure this Hybrid has the same brakes as a 4K tow Maverick....plus regenerative braking. Honestly I figure it is more Ford's CYA about the ecvt transmission. Don't know its weak link. Could be cooling...or could be the ability to control variable ratio under high load.
I sold my Cmax because Ford said it could not be used at all for towing...yet this is a similar transmission/engine package. I am glad it has a 2K tow rating, all I need to haul stuff on a small trailer.

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It was a project my brother made, and it's very over built.
Yes, thanks. I did a little research and found that commercial ones run from about 550-750lbs, so your brother's sounds about spot-on. I didn't know that a lot of those dolls have brakes, too. (y)

Yvonne Federowicz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Yvonne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT ordered 11/21; Subaru XTrek
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I noticed that some vehicles have much higher tow ratings in Europe than in the U.S.; I think the speed limit in some countries, while towing, is some reasonable number like 55-ish, whatever that is in km/hr.

I bet in the U.S. the car companies have to account for those maniacs I see in pickups towing big loads while zooming past me on the interstate going 80 or something... Like, what if they have to dodge another maniac at that speed with that load...

nathanchrisman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I second cooling system even on the flat after reading where someone posted that HVB charge/discharge was much reduced when ambient temp was (if I remember correctly) at 113°F. Most likely to reduce electric heat moreso in transmission than in HVB.
I believe the limiting factor at 113F is actually the batteries.

Lithium batteries (both lithium-ion and lithium-iron-phosphate) have an operating temperature range that is roughly the same as a human being; freezing to hot summer temps.

More technically, lithium cells have a high temperature limit of 50C or so (122F). They produce some heat while charging and discharging. This means the ambient needs to be a little lower than 50C and it is common to rate the batteries at 45C ambient, which happens to be exactly 113F. :)
Sponsored