First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
that is what I thought too, where is the test drive? I am having hybrid remorse!! The 2.0 may get over 30 mpg on the highway versus hybrid 34 mpg average? why buy a hybrid for a couple of miles more?
Personally, I'm buying a hybrid because, while it's a handful of more mpg highway, it's likely to be double digits combined.

Also, I believe the projected cost of ownership will be much less for hybrid. Brakes, transmission fluid, Atkinson motor may have less carbon buildup on intakes, increased oil change interval.

Might not be that way for everyone, but I think for me hybrid is the right call.

Last edited:

adawalli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2010 Toyota Prius 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
that is what I thought too, where is the test drive? I am having hybrid remorse!! The 2.0 may get over 30 mpg on the highway versus hybrid 34 mpg average? why buy a hybrid for a couple of miles more?
you are getting concerned about an avg mpg on a random unit with absolutely zero driving context? Also who knows how many hours they let it idle with ice cycling on and off

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
My long experience with hybrids is that it's so subtle, I'm not sure how anyone could show it on a video. It is true, I guess, that someone could put a microphone wherever the engine noise is loudest, and you could hear the quiet. Maybe put some kind of meter that detects vibration? It's mainly noticeable when you start the car soundlessly, but in regular driving, I couldn't tell you whether the gas engine is on or off - or shifting from one or the other.

Someone could video the display if that seems useful, I reckon.
Exactly my experience too. When the light turns green, depending on the situation, and on my mood, I sometimes dust everyone around me, in my Prius, and I'm always wondering what the guy in the Mustang is thinking when he looks way up in front of him and is like, damn... and that's a Prius :) lol And on the rare occasion I switch it to the power mode, wow ! The gas motor doesn't go along with the acceleration though. It kind of lags behind working mostly to charge the battery. In other words, the torque is not directly connected to the RPM's of my ICE. Definitely different than an all gas vehicle.

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
why buy a hybrid for a couple of miles more?
One needs to compare EPA combined to keep things apples to apples. Subject to change but best guess right now is 37 for hybrid and 27 for ecoboost. At $3/gallon over 100,000 miles, that's about $3,000 more plus up front costs of $1,100 more for eco-boost option.

$4k savings is a pretty good motivator for many folks. Higher mileage drivers save even more.

Sponsored

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
One needs to compare EPA combined to keep things apples to apples. Subject to change but best guess right now is 37 for hybrid and 27 for ecoboost. At $3/gallon over 100,000 miles, that's about $3,000 more plus up front costs of $1,100 more for eco-boost option.

$4k savings is a pretty good motivator for many folks. Higher mileage drivers save even more.
And not to keep beating a dead horse.... But the EPA ratings are a LOT more accurate nowadays than they used to be. Nothing like a few multi million dollar lawsuits to make auto manufactures more careful about their claims ;) If the ratings on the Maverick are like my Prius, I would get 40 mpg's combined. My Prius says 52/48... and I'm getting 52.3 combined. Used to be close to 54, when I babied it more.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And not to keep beating a dead horse.... But the EPA ratings are a LOT more accurate nowadays than they used to be. Nothing like a few multi million dollar lawsuits to make auto manufactures more careful about their claims ;) If the ratings on the Maverick are like my Prius, I would get 40 mpg's combined. My Prius says 52/48... and I'm getting 52.3 combined. Used to be close to 54, when I babied it more.
I am as well. It sits pretty firmly at 52.5 mpg after 65k miles of mixed driving.

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Makes me wonder what the embargo is hiding:unsure:

One thing I'm seeing that I don't like is how feeble the front suspension looks. In a couple of pics it looks like it could just fall off where its mounted to the body.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One thing I'm seeing that I don't like is how feeble the front suspension looks. In a couple of pics it looks like it could just fall off where its mounted to the body.
Are you an automotive engineer? I only ask because that's a mighty big claim that seems to be based on nothing more than a few random online photos. But if you have the credentials to back it up, I'm all ears.

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not an engineer, but those struts and mounts look pretty minimal. Let's put it this way, I was not impressed. When my dealer gets one to look at, I may change my mind.

My experience is 51 years of owning and maintaining vehicles. Until the last few years I did everything.

Like I have said twice before, there is a 40% chance I won't end up buying mine.

Last edited:
Sponsored

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I have a feeling fuel prices will climb much higher than they currently are.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Well, lets hope that the FX4 has better strut mounts than the city MAverick.....Oh, wait.. Yea the Maverick is a city truck....I'm sure a million other cars' front ends haven't fallen off.... Heck, my Fiat Pop 500 I had its front end stayed right where it was supposed to stay.... even when we did take it out of the city.
So I think the Maverick will be just fine unless you take it rock hopping... :)

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well…I knew I could 3D print a flux- capacitor and wedge a 2x6 into the bed…not a lot of driving here

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
if you plan on driving on the freeway 70-80% of the time, then the difference is negligible. 34 vs 29 mpg per Ford. It's the city mpg that had me sold on the hybrid. 40 mpg is more than adequate for my majority city driving. It's double what I get now with my 07 Camry V6.

And if you acknowledge that the 2.0 may get over 30 highway, then shouldn't you also allow the possibility the hybrid may get over 34 as well? In the end you should have weighed the pro's and con's of each powertrain with your driving needs. Hopefully you can still change your order if need be.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
if you plan on driving on the freeway 70-80% of the time, then the difference is negligible. 34 vs 29 mpg per Ford. It's the city mpg that had me sold on the hybrid. 40 mpg is more than adequate for my majority city driving. It's double what I get now with my 07 Camry V6.

And if you acknowledge that the 2.0 may get over 30 highway, then shouldn't you also allow the possibility the hybrid may get over 34 as well? In the end you should have weighed the pro's and con's of each powertrain with your driving needs. Hopefully you can still change your order if need be.
Even at 70:30 highway miles you're likely to get like 10 more mpg on the hybrid.
Sponsored