First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well did the first oil change today on my hybrid XLT at 2150 miles. Oil looked pretty clean and not dark at all, but wanted to get some quality oil in and also the bigger Motorcraft FL910S filter to replace the smaller stock one. My oil life indicator was at 87% oil life left. Besides a bunch of torx head screws to remove the plastic belly pan, the 15mm drain bolt w/incorporated rubber seal and easy access to the filter made the oil change a breeze. 5.5 qts of oil was perfect after a warmed-up oil level check, it was 3/4 of the way to the full mark.
Ford Maverick Hybrid first quality full synth + filter oil change less than $30 6065DEF9-46A6-4360-9295-C4A6BB77A49E

Ford Maverick Hybrid first quality full synth + filter oil change less than $30 4623A644-596B-49D8-BCE4-54888D9C370C

I ended up using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W20 (their best oil) after watching it perform 2nd to only Amsoil out of nearly every manufacturer (see video link below). The winning Amsoil signature series 0W20 is $120/gallon , I love my Mav but not THAT much. Pennzoil currently has a $25 e-gift card rebate offer on two 5qt bottles. The oil is $33.03 + tax per 5qt bottle, and the Motorcraft FL910S filters are only $3.97 + tax (both on Amazon see links below). So considering the Pennzoil offer, 5.5qts of the oil plus the filter cost me $29.70 total (shipped, after tax, and minus the $25 e-gift card).

Oil testing video:

Pennzoil rebate offer:
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prom...nal-promotion.html#iframe=L0RJWS9PMjIxN18yMi8

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synth 0W20 on Amazon:
https://amzn.to/3d7MoSL

Motorcraft FL910S filter on Amazon:
https://amzn.to/3Q3RTAe
Sponsored

Last edited:

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anything Shell (Pennzoil) does to create their own top oil is probably good.
Basically, we can trust Shell, we can assume.

The only reason why it's not my top choice is that it doesn't qualify for WSS-M2C962-A1, so Ford could deny a warranty claim. It does have an older WSS Ford spec, which might be good enough.
Also, other oil choices give you higher-performance specs like dexos1 & 229.71, missing from Ultra.

It's in the category of other oils that we think are good, yet don't carry enough or even any applicable certifications to prove it. Example: Amsoil Signature Series isn't even API certified, the basic thing. RLI (Renewable Lubricants Inc.) has interesting base oils they use, but they do no certs to prove it. Redline's flagship oils similar problems.

So do you value Proof or not? That's what it comes down to. It's likely those oils are just fine, I'd guess(?). We're left being forced to believe marketing goons, not good! Trust oil companies. OK.....

Pennz Ultra, 9 years ago, did publish piston deposits results and compared to Mobil1, Valvoline Synth, etc., looked very good, some proof there at least. Many re-formulations later, they long ago dropped their claims. Also, we are left assuming their Ultra 0w20 formula resembles the Indycar 0w40 high-moly oil that went thru that 500-mile race durability test, not the same recipe in 0w20.

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The only reason why it's not my top choice is that it doesn't qualify for WSS-M2C962-A1, so Ford could deny a warranty claim. It does have an older WSS Ford spec, which might be good enough.
Also, other oil choices give you higher-performance specs like dexos1 & 229.71, missing from Ultra.

It's in the category of other oils that we think are good, yet don't carry enough or even any applicable certifications to prove it. Example: Amsoil Signature Series isn't even API certified, the basic thing. RLI (Renewable Lubricants Inc.) has interesting base oils they use, but they do no certs to prove it. Redline's flagship oils similar problems.

So do you value Proof or not? That's what it comes down to. It's likely those oils are just fine, I'd guess(?). We're left being forced to believe marketing goons, not good! Trust oil companies. OK.....

Pennz Ultra, 9 years ago, did publish piston deposits results and compared to Mobil1, Valvoline Synth, etc., looked very good, some proof there at least. Many re-formulations later, they long ago dropped their claims. Also, we are left assuming their Ultra 0w20 formula resembles the Indycar 0w40 high-moly oil that went thru that 500-mile race durability test, not the same recipe in 0w20.
The Amsoil Signature Series data bulletin states that their 0w20 meets Ford WSS-M2C962-A1. As does their lower tier XL and OE lines.

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Amsoil Signature Series data bulletin states that their 0w20 meets Ford WSS-M2C962-A1. As does their lower tier XL and OE lines.
Fools everybody. They state that, yet look at their lawyerly language: "Use it in applications that require...."
That is not the same as actually carrying certs. Not even API certified.
Signature Series have exactly no certs.
You trust them. I think you can; I assume they make good oil.
Example: Claimed dexos1 Gen3, and no Amsoil has ever appeared on the dexos1 lists.

XL and OE, they do go out and get the basic foundation API Cert. That's all. The rest, including any WSS claims, I think is internal too, similar to Signature Series.

It's too confusing. Average Mav owner will grab their fav brand of 0w20, and that will work OK.

I'm not sure if Ford engine Warranty Claims would investigate diddly squat. Many will just see that it has light brown oil on the dipstick somewhere, and that's it.

Use whatever 0w20 you see & maybe that will be adequate. The odds are with you.

Last edited:

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fools everybody. They state that, yet look at their lawyerly language: "Use it in applications that require...."
That is not the same as actually carrying certs. Not even API certified.
Signature Series have exactly no certs.
You trust them. I think you can; I assume they make good oil.
Example: Claimed dexos1 Gen3, and no Amsoil has ever appeared on the dexos1 lists.

XL and OE, they do go out and get the basic foundation API Cert. That's all. The rest, including any WSS claims, I think is internal too, similar to Signature Series.

It's too confusing. Average Mav owner will grab their fav brand of 0w20, and that will work OK.

I'm not sure if Ford engine Warranty Claims would investigate diddly squat. Many will just see that it has light brown oil on the dipstick somewhere, and that's it.

Use whatever 0w20 you see & maybe that will be adequate. The odds are with you.
It is confusing, no doubt. And the specs change often. There is a small blender in Manteno, IL, High Performance Lubricants that blends some of the finest motor oils in the world and they are pricey. No certs. Why? If you were to contact them they would bend your ear about certs. They would actually have to lower the quality of their oils just to get certified. It is a complex and stupid game to get certified that HPL has no interest in playing.

I use their oil because I do not mind spending the money for an oil that is of extremely high quality and is not your typical off the shelf product.

Sponsored

OP
OP
azadv

azadv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some would say certs are like our present government, full of money payoffs and corruption. I’ll trust independent testing myself, very little trust in anything that has the potential for money payoffs or remotely related to government.

nikorasu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Soul EV, 2022 Maverick Lariat First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

But they can't. The manual clearly states to use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade (0w20 for hybrid or 0w30 or 5w30 for turbos) that display the API Certification Mark (Starburst) for gasoline engines.

I used the basic Pennzoil Synthetic black label in my truck. Perfectly fine oil.

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But they can't. The manual clearly states to use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade (0w20 for hybrid or 0w30 or 5w30 for turbos) that display the API Certification Mark (Starburst) for gasoline engines.

I used the basic Pennzoil Synthetic black label in my truck. Perfectly fine oil.
Agreed there shouldn't be anything wrong with any of the 0w-20 full-syn Pennzoil oils, reputable brand.
The hybrid Mav Owner's manual states: "We recommend Motorcraft® motor oil for your vehicle. If Motorcraft® oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines."
Then they list the WSS-M2C962-A1 spec number in a table below that statement in the Owner's Manual. (Similar for ecoboost Mavs too.)

Being lawyerly, from the wording it sounds like Motorcraft is the only oil where the WSS spec matters. The way I've always interpreted it, it all means that Mobil1 oil (or other non-Motorcraft oil you choose) needs to say WSS-M2C962-A1 on it, and I think that's what they really meant to convey.

I prefer seeing these three qualifications to ensure I'm getting a proven performer: WSS-M2C962-A1, dexos1 Gen2 or Gen3, & MB 229.71 together. That Mercedes spec is tough for oil formulators to get, requiring long-drain chemicals, very low wear scores, stellar anti-sludge, cleaner pistons, etc., from many engine tests. That's my choice in oil.

Sponsored
OP
OP
azadv

azadv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Haven’t been able to find any test that shows the Motorcraft oil is superior in any way to the Amsoil signature series or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, period.

If anyone has anything (other than opinion) please post.

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
..There is a small blender in Manteno, IL, High Performance Lubricants ....I use their oil because I do not mind spending the money for an oil that is of extremely high quality and is not your typical off the shelf product.
If you like HPL, Amsoil, or Redline oils, because we think they put in some cool chemicals, ..... but you insist on a company having real certifications that prove overall performance too, then you can have both:

One way to satisfy 2 requirements at once:

1. Base oil is majority PAO, with minority POE, AN, and/or GroupIII trim, the finest base oils.

2. Has a ton of certifications to prove overall suitability & performance. No cheaply skipping certs.

Solution:
Ravenol EFS Eco Fullsynth 0w-20 for Mav Hyb engines
Ravenol REP Racing Extra Performance 5w-30 for Mav Ecoboost engines
ravenolamerica.com blauparts.com amazon.com has them, not sure about amazon all the time.

That is the only oil Brand I know of that gets crazy-good with their base oils sometimes, defying bean-counter business logic, and still goes out and gets genuine certifications as PROOF. ( HPL, Amsoil SS, and Redline Performance line, doesn't bother getting certs, you would just have to trust them and guess.)

Last edited:

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didn't go back and search but wasn't here some info on oil filters having different pressure relief settings??

dhill59

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2014 MX5 Club
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've been using Royal Purple for years with zero issues - and it meets the requirements.
Sponsored