Sponsored

Hybrid can tow 2000#...how many #s do you feel comfortable towing with it?

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FWIW I try to keep the tow loaded weight around 80% of tow capacity.

PortlandME

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I contacted ford and received the GCWR.

HYBRID = 6010 lbs (Maverick curb weight = 3674 lbs)
2.0L 3.63 gear FWD = 5900 lbs (3563 lbs)
2.0L 3.63 gear AWD = 6145 lbs (3731 lbs)
2.0L 3.81 gear FWD = 7900 lbs (3563 lbs)
2.0L 3.81 gear AWD = 8145 lbs (3731 lbs)
Appreciate you getting that! So if I understand things correctly, the 2.0 AWD w/ 4k Tow Package is limited to a combined weight (passengers, cargo, trailer, trailer cargo, etc.) of only 4,414 over the weight of the truck itself? If that's the case, a family with a loaded truck won't be able to safely pull the full 4,000 towing capacity?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That’s a very helpful explanation, thank you! When do we expect Ford to publish the ratings? Seems like pretty important information and slightly reckless on their part to be taking orders while advertising the vehicle pulling a camper and not giving those figures?
Nobody is going to be taking these home for another 3-6 months and you can be sure all the specs will be released long before then. We don't have official EPA MPG estimates or crash test results yet either. Orders are not binding in most cases, so if anybody changes their mind after all specs released they don't have to take delivery. Worst that might happen is *maybe* lose a deposit.

Sponsored

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No, 4145+269=4414lbs.

Sponsored

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
Don’t forget the trailer has a max frontal area of 20 square foot, 40 with the 4K tow. Don’t expect it to tow a full height trailer.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
BTW, my Pinto has an 800 lb towing capacity. Sez so right in the manual! :)
You should have waited a year and got the 2300 that came available for the 1974 model year. It was a pretty good engine, but I hated the ubangi bumpers. AND, the no longer offered yellow color or the dark brown interior. I get better mpg in a Ranger without trying than I ever got in the Pinto, a wagon. I think if they had put EFI and a 5-speed in the Pinto, mpg would have been over 30.
That was the first car I ever ordered, and the Mav is the second.
tom

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
I'm working under the assumption that if Ford rated for 2000# it is probably capable of pulling 2500-2750#s before the legal dept reminds them not to go overboard. European vehicles are often rated for higher towing capabilities than there identical American counterparts. I have a 1700# camper that i'm looking forward to pulling. Thoughts???
I guess Admin needs to move this to Towing subforum

Ford would definitely take exception to your assumption. The tow/payload ratings are engineered and confirmed in part by current SAE J2807 towing standard testing. The Ford structural design team probably knows the towing/payload/torsion “load to failure” limits but we sure don’t. Your best bet is know your driver door jamb numbers (actual payload rating, GVWR), all your other applied loads, do your sums, decide if you’re good to (safely) tow. Figuring out “what can I (safely) tow?” isn’t rocket science but it isn’t always straight-forward either. Read the Ford Towing Guide (not the prelim. One for Maverick on this site, the complete Ford one), the Owners Manual (once available), know your yellow and white door sticker numbers, do the math (by hand, maybe simple online calculators like this TowCalculator.com).

People regularly overload their cars/trucks/trailers, it’s human nature, and unless it’s severe overloading they usually get away with it. But the key is knowing if/how much you’re overloaded and go from there. Ignorance is not always bliss. Payload and heat and sufficient engine oomph are usually the main enemies. There’s a reason the 4K Tow package includes what it does regards extra cooling and drive ratio, the hybrid doesn’t have that.

Can you safely tow your 1700 lb trailer (is that dry or wet weight?) with the Hybrid? Don’t know, what’s your overall trip payload going to be, what’s your actual door sticker payload, what’s your GVWR? You need to crunch some numbers.

The Maverick is a new unibody truck, not a smaller body-on-frame trucklet. Small unibody trucks have to get their towing/payload/torsional rigidity capacity from somewhere. The Santa Cruz gets a lot of this from its large sail pillar. So does the not-so-small unibody CyberTruck with its humongous sail pillar.

Previous generation (pre-’17) Ridgeline had a pretty big sail pillar. The ‘17+ design substituted some clever design and engineering to make it look more truck-like and still keep 5K towing capacity, appears Ford did some of that to get their truck-like appearance for the Maverick

The Maverick ‘looks’ like the bed is separate from the cab (like in body-on-frame trucks) but it isn’t. A unibody truck doesn’t have the kind of torsional rigidity a body-on-frame has.

An F series Superduty truck can do this:
Ford Maverick Hybrid can tow 2000#...how many #s do you feel comfortable towing with it? frame

If that happens with your Maverick you’d be well and truly hosed.

OP
OP
Spartan_J

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess Admin needs to move this to Towing subforum

Ford would definitely take exception to your assumption. The tow/payload ratings are engineered and confirmed in part by current SAE J2807 towing standard testing. The Ford structural design team probably knows the towing/payload/torsion “load to failure” limits but we sure don’t. Your best bet is know your driver door jamb numbers (actual payload rating, GVWR), all your other applied loads, do your sums, decide if you’re good to (safely) tow. Figuring out “what can I (safely) tow?” isn’t rocket science but it isn’t always straight-forward either. Read the Ford Towing Guide (not the prelim. One for Maverick on this site, the complete Ford one), the Owners Manual (once available), know your yellow and white door sticker numbers, do the math (by hand, maybe simple online calculators like this TowCalculator.com).
I wouldn't ever exceed GVWR...that's just asking for problems. I'm just surmising that it is probably a tad higher that 2000# in reality. May be that means 2050, 2100, or 2500. I know my Jetta TDI was rated very differently in countries outside the USA.