Sponsored

Hybrid can tow 2000#...how many #s do you feel comfortable towing with it?

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm working under the assumption that if Ford rated for 2000# it is probably capable of pulling 2500-2750#s before the legal dept reminds them not to go overboard. European vehicles are often rated for higher towing capabilities than there identical American counterparts. I have a 1700# camper that i'm looking forward to pulling. Thoughts???
Sponsored

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm working under the assumption that if Ford rated for 2000# it is probably capable of pulling 2500-2750#s before the legal dept reminds them not to go overboard. European vehicles are often rated for higher towing capabilities than there identical American counterparts. I have a 1700# camper that i'm looking forward to pulling. Thoughts???
Don’t forget, the TOTAL weight is what is rated, I.e., load in bed, occupant weight, trailer plus cargo. That is why I went with the 2.0 with 4K tow option, need the extra punch with my 20’ boat.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm watching a video about a lady torturing her Ford Explorer by towing too much. I haven't finished it, but I think it is educational for towing beginners like me. Maybe you will like it too. 👇

OP
OP
Spartan_J

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don’t forget, the TOTAL weight is what is rated, I.e., load in bed, occupant weight, trailer plus cargo. That is why I went with the 2.0 with 4K tow option, need the extra punch with my 20’ boat.
Agree...we only camp within a few hours and carry minimal equipment. I think we will be under 2000# after throwing a couple hundred pounds on bed. Assuming GCWR is around 3000...we we are more than fine.

Our 2014 Escape with 2.0 pulls it like its not even back there.

Appreciate the input.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would research it more instead of assuming. IMO very unlikely you will be safe going over max recommended. Don't forget everything in your trailer has to be counted, included water in your holding tanks. Got a 30 gal fresh water tank? That's 250 lbs all by itself when full. Food, firewood, coolers, portable generator- basically everything you would load in the trailer and bed counts towards your total. Personally, I try to leave some headroom under the max rating. The 4k tow package apparently doesn't include sway control for towing like the bigger Ford trucks, but I think I read it has electric brake controller and you'll probably need a weight distribution hitch too. Lot's of food for thought, but better safe than sorry...

Sponsored

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
My thought is you will be pushing the limit with 1700 lbs. And you will NEED electric brakes with the little Maverick.
I had a 2000 F150 with a 5000 LB towing capacity. 5 speed manual trans. It barely towed my 2000 lb Bell camper. Aerodynamics of a billboard. Rarely into 5th gear. Engine racing.
I now have a 2013 with the coyote 5.0. Tow package. 15000 lbs towing capacity. No brakes on the Bell and I had a very concerning situation braking hard in a construction zone. Otherwise it tows fine and works some on up steep passes.
I will get my Maverick with the 4k tow package. The extra trans and engine cooling are paramount. Plus the brake controller is built in. But no plans on towing much with it.

OP
OP
Spartan_J

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would research it more instead of assuming. IMO very unlikely you will be safe going over max recommended. Don't forget everything in your trailer has to be counted, included water in your holding tanks. Got a 30 gal fresh water tank? That's 250 lbs all by itself when full. Food, firewood, coolers, portable generator- basically everything you would load in the trailer and bed counts towards your total. Personally, I try to leave some headroom under the max rating. The 4k tow package apparently doesn't include sway control for towing like the bigger Ford trucks, but I think I read it has electric brake controller and you'll probably need a weight distribution hitch too. Lot's of food for thought, but better safe than sorry...
I concur...but we are modern state park campers. No water, generator, wood etc. I'll convert the 4 flat to a 7 pin to utilize trailer brakes. Pop up campers also have low center of gravity and not the "wind sail" effect of taller campers. Worst case scenario...well drive two vehicles on the handful of times a year we camp.

PortlandME

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is this true? I was under the impression that the tow capacity was in addition to a "loaded" vehicle. I don't mean maxing out the 1500 payload plus towing 2k or 4k lbs, but are you saying you need to deduct the weight of occupants and cargo on the truck side? That could easily take off 1000 pounds from the stated capacity if you're a family of 4/5 with gear....

Sponsored
OP
OP
Spartan_J

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is this true? I was under the impression that the tow capacity was in addition to a "loaded" vehicle. I don't mean maxing out the 1500 payload plus towing 2k or 4k lbs, but are you saying you need to deduct the weight of occupants and cargo on the truck side? That could easily take off 1000 pounds from the stated capacity if you're a family of 4/5 with gear....
Yes and no...the Maverick (like any vehicle) will have a GCVWR. Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating is the maximum weight of your tow vehicle and trailer combined, both loaded with all cargo. The tow vehicle and trailer each have their own separate GVWR numbers, which, combined, make up the GCWR. The hybrid has a towing capacity of 2000#. (and I would suggest trailer brakes above 1500# regardless). You just have to make sure that Maverick GVWR + trailer GVWR < GCVWR. Only issue is...no one knows what the GCWR is for the Maverick. I would "guess" it will be able to hold at least 1050# of passengers and cargo. For reference, a standard Chevy Equinox is 1085#

PortlandME

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes and no...the Maverick (like any vehicle) will have a GCVWR. Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating is the maximum weight of your tow vehicle and trailer combined, both loaded with all cargo. The tow vehicle and trailer each have their own separate GVWR numbers, which, combined, make up the GCWR. The hybrid has a towing capacity of 2000#. (and I would suggest trailer brakes above 1500# regardless). You just have to make sure that Maverick GVWR + trailer GVWR < GCVWR. Only issue is...no one knows what the GCWR is for the Maverick. I would "guess" it will be able to hold at least 1050# of passengers and cargo. For reference, a standard Chevy Equinox is 1085#
That’s a very helpful explanation, thank you! When do we expect Ford to publish the ratings? Seems like pretty important information and slightly reckless on their part to be taking orders while advertising the vehicle pulling a camper and not giving those figures?

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That’s a very helpful explanation, thank you! When do we expect Ford to publish the ratings? Seems like pretty important information and slightly reckless on their part to be taking orders while advertising the vehicle pulling a camper and not giving those figures?
Photos of camper are probably the 4000 lb tow package.

OP
OP
Spartan_J

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I contacted ford and received the GCWR.

HYBRID = 6010 lbs (Maverick curb weight = 3674 lbs)
2.0L 3.63 gear FWD = 5900 lbs (3563 lbs)
2.0L 3.63 gear AWD = 6145 lbs (3731 lbs)
2.0L 3.81 gear FWD = 7900 lbs (3563 lbs)
2.0L 3.81 gear AWD = 8145 lbs (3731 lbs)
Sponsored