Sponsored

Hybrid can tow 2000#...how many #s do you feel comfortable towing with it?

charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150
That’s a very helpful explanation, thank you! When do we expect Ford to publish the ratings? Seems like pretty important information and slightly reckless on their part to be taking orders while advertising the vehicle pulling a camper and not giving those figures?
Here they are.
Sponsored

Attachments

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
I wouldn't ever exceed GVWR...that's just asking for problems. I'm just surmising that it is probably a tad higher that 2000# in reality. May be that means 2050, 2100, or 2500. I know my Jetta TDI was rated very differently in countries outside the USA.
FYI a very long-winded discourse on why US and European tow ratings are different. Bottom line - different methodology used for tow safety. That Jetta couldn't do the J2807 Davis Dam test and keep it's European tow rating...
Great Explanation for USA vs EU Tow Ratings | Toyota RAV4 Forums (rav4world.com)

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

All I can add to this convo is, should something happen, good luck with any type of insurance claim if it is determined you were towing above the manufacturer stated limit

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's a buffer between your gas tank and the person rear-ending you...:giggle:
I also had a ‘73 Pinto Squire Wagon so I felt safe with “wood grain siding” on my car. That “ wood” would protect me in the crash....... ✔

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm working under the assumption that if Ford rated for 2000# it is probably capable of pulling 2500-2750#s before the legal dept reminds them not to go overboard. European vehicles are often rated for higher towing capabilities than there identical American counterparts. I have a 1700# camper that i'm looking forward to pulling. Thoughts???
I don’t understand. You are not talking about overloading the bed with topsoil for a short trip across town. You are literally taking everything you need on a road trip. Why would you even consider exceeding manufacturer limits???

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spartan_J

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t understand. You are not talking about overloading the bed with topsoil for a short trip across town. You are literally taking everything you need on a road trip. Why would you even consider exceeding manufacturer limits???
Nothing to understand. My fully loaded camper weights about 1800-1850# with gear. (I'm under GVWR/GCWR/tongue weight). I was just saying it probably can physically tow more (with undetermined safety). I'm just looking forward to towing with a new toy.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I didn't buy mine to tow but if I was going too I would be buying a small trailer from Home Depot something like 4x6 or 5x8 so that I could carry home improvement lumber and other honey-do stuff that I didn't want hanging out of the bed or scratching up the top of the bed rail.. or maybe a tree-limb dumps haul... So I think I'm good for the 2000lbs rating...
Nice to see that others are figuring it out :)

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Question for those who know...

I'm getting the hybrid. Are there pop-up campers and/or small fishing boats that will come in under/around the 2000lb mark?

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Nothing to understand. My fully loaded camper weights about 1800-1850# with gear. (I'm under GVWR/GCWR/tongue weight). I was just saying it probably can physically tow more (with undetermined safety). I'm just looking forward to towing with a new toy.
Spartan should* be ok from his numbers here and in previous posts in this thread.
*for all assumptions I used - which will probably be a little (or maybe a lot) off of actual numbers once we can see our door stickers for real payload and GVWR.
Inputs:
Ford Maverick Hybrid can tow 2000#...how many #s do you feel comfortable towing with it? Input.JPG

Outputs:
Ford Maverick Hybrid can tow 2000#...how many #s do you feel comfortable towing with it? output.JPG

Assumptions I made - GVWR (rough, need to see white door sticker) = Base Curb Weight (3674#) + Actual Payload Capacity (assumed 1500#, need to see yellow door sticker for actual) = ~5174#
GCWR = 6010# (from prelim. Maverick Tow Guide)
Passenger weight (2 people) = ~350# (could be more or less)
Cargo in truck cabin or bed = ~150#
Empty Trailer Weight = 1700# (Spartan)
"Stuff" in trailer = ~150# (Spartan)
GVWR of Trailer = ~2500# (my S.W.A.G.)
Tongue weight (called Hitch Weight in calculator) = ~231# (the calculator uses 12.5% instead of Ford's 10%; real world users normally use between 10-15% depending on what they're towing (boat or other).

As seen, still a healthy amount of unused payload so you might think "hey more people or cargo possible in the truck1" - HOWEVER - on GCW (actual gross combined weight of truck and trailer), only 36 lbs from the assumed truck's GCWR. Ford will always recommend that GCW never exceed GCWR; in the real world people overload their trucks and trailers all the time and the truck doesn't blow up, important thing is you knowing if and how much it's being exceeded and then making an educated decision.

For all planning on Rocky Mountain towing, I won't even get into Ford's recommendation for derating GVW's and GCW's at high altitudes......a topic for another time.
Ford Maverick Hybrid can tow 2000#...how many #s do you feel comfortable towing with it? high altitude.JPG

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I also had a ‘73 Pinto Squire Wagon so I felt safe with “wood grain siding” on my car. That “ wood” would protect me in the crash....... ✔
Actually the Pinto wagons didn’t have the explosion problem.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope - the overall capacity is only 1,500lbs. That thing is 1,200 dry - what about all of your supplies, and...driver, passenger? you'd be well over the capacity rating of the Maverick.
I believe that 1,500lbs is Mav's payload capacity. The weight of the trailer and its cargo should not be counted in, except the tongue weight.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
You should have waited a year and got the 2300 that came available for the 1974 model year. It was a pretty good engine, but I hated the ubangi bumpers. AND, the no longer offered yellow color or the dark brown interior. I get better mpg in a Ranger without trying than I ever got in the Pinto, a wagon. I think if they had put EFI and a 5-speed in the Pinto, mpg would have been over 30.
That was the first car I ever ordered, and the Mav is the second.
tom
Haha, my Mom owned a Yellow Pinto with Brown interior. The 3 tons of newspaper she carried was optional. Rest in peace Mom.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
You should have waited a year and got the 2300 that came available for the 1974 model year. It was a pretty good engine, but I hated the ubangi bumpers. AND, the no longer offered yellow color or the dark brown interior. I get better mpg in a Ranger without trying than I ever got in the Pinto, a wagon. I think if they had put EFI and a 5-speed in the Pinto, mpg would have been over 30.
That was the first car I ever ordered, and the Mav is the second.
tom
I just picked it up about ten years ago. Not much selection. White paint over the original green. For $500 it's been an excellent deal. The German 2 liter really spins!
Sponsored