Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I was wondering is the reason Ford didn’t release an AWD Hybrid because of cost? The Hybrid power plant is matched with an eCVT transmission because it’s more fuel efficient but more importantly, less expensive. The good thing is it’s passed down to the consumer with a low base-price.

One of the obstacles of an AWD Hybrid is this eCVT and also the reason you can’t order the 4K towing, in the Hybrid variant. I don’t want to say it’s a weak link becasue it’s really just better suited for a vehicle focused on fuel efficiency.

My question: Is it really worth it? To speculate on the additional cost, it must be considerable. Enough to make Ford focus on the first model year being configured more for a low MSRP and MPG.
Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Nope. Not if people want this to be an affordable vehicle offering great value.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One of the obstacles of an AWD Hybrid is this eCVT and also the reason you can’t order the 4K towing, in the Hybrid variant. I don’t want to say it’s a weak link becasue it’s really just better suited for a vehicle focused on fuel efficiency.
The eCVT is most certainly not an obstacle to AWD. It's more likely Ford saw the supply constraints and decided to delay the AWD.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid has a powertrain similar to the Maverick (2.5L engine, eCVT) and is available in FWD or AWD. The AWD option is an additional $1,500.

Sponsored

marpolsdofer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Dodge Dakota 5.2L, 96 Geo Prizm 1.8L
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's been confirmed there is no reason they can not put it in. Why they did not who knows.
The escape going from FWD to AWD is $1500. That is much better then $3300 to go Ecoboost and AWD.
People think if they offered AWD in the hybrid it would cut sale from the escape but I don't think it would have that big of an impact on it.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid has a powertrain similar to the Maverick (2.5L engine, eCVT) and is available in FWD or AWD. The AWD option is an additional $1,500.
As do many Toyota Hybrids, they have been doing so for over 10 years now. I believe the first was the Highlander Hybrid in 2007 (AWD was optional). The eCVT does not prevent AWD at all. Keeping costs down, and putting more motors into more trucks was likely the priority. An AWD Hybrid requires 3 electric drive motors.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's been confirmed there is no reason they can not put it in. Why they did not who knows.
What I took from the posted articles was that there was nothing that really prevented Ford from doing it, and that they might do it in the future.

They didn't this time around, but it seems that had more to do with already having enough on their plate than it did with any real technical obstacles.

With more time, they will probably get around to it. I wish they already had.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The real question is would you keep your fwd hybrid or trade to an awd in a couple of years?

Sponsored
OP
OP
RonFLA

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The real question is would you keep your fwd hybrid or trade to an awd in a couple of years?
Oh wow, great question! Will they sell for more than MSRP or will supply be caught up with demand, where you see every pool company and lawn service running around with these… How would that impact your decision to trade/sell?

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd probably trade in my ecoboost with 4k towing for an awd hybrid in a couple of years. 100% if they up the towing capacity to match mine.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh wow, great question! Will they sell for more than MSRP or will supply be caught up with demand, where you see every pool company and lawn service running around with these… How would that impact your decision to trade/sell?
A perfect scenario would be
I'd probably trade in my ecoboost with 4k towing for an awd hybrid in a couple of years. 100% if they up the towing capacity to match mine.
Perfect scenario would be if we would still be able to order an awd hybrid on msrp and sell our current one while retaining value.

My guess, 2-3 years refresh will bring the awd out. Imagine the future of this truck if it will receive the same treatment as its older siblings.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably not. I would want one, but it's just not my habit to turn cars over that fast. I tend to keep them 8-10 years and will probably stick with that.

My wife, on the other hand, may buy one and loan it to me occasionally.

marpolsdofer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Dodge Dakota 5.2L, 96 Geo Prizm 1.8L
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What I took from the posted articles was that there was nothing that really prevented Ford from doing it, and that they might do it in the future.

They didn't this time around, but it seems that had more to do with already having enough on their plate than it did with any real technical obstacles.

With more time, they will probably get around to it. I wish they already had.
I was watching a video about this subject a few days ago about this. The host said that is was more likely they just did not have a enough time to either test or implant it.
Sponsored