First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The battery is not really in the cab. It’s under a thick seat cushion and in a plastic sealed container.
The battery is in the cab (the same goes for anything stored under the seat) which is why it is vented to the outside.

The lid over the battery is not sealed.
Sponsored

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I took pictures of the 12 Volt battery in my Hybrid Maverick. I wanted to see if it was any different from the Demo Hybrid at the State Fair of Texas.

The part number is BXT-99RT4-A with a Ford Label

It appears to be a MotorCraft battery, Tested Tough Max or maybe a Fleet Tough/Extras as it has a single port vent with a tube that vents the battery to the underside of the truck. See the third picture of the tube below.

Single port venting cuts electrolyte loss, reduces terminal corrosion, and allows for remote venting.

BATTERIES - Vampt Motors

Hybrid - 12V Battery.JPG

BXT-99RT4-A.JPG

Vented.JPG

Specs.JPG

Single Port Vent.JPG
Hmm, Correct me if I'm off here but the High Voltage battery drives the traction motors, there is no starter so this battery only powers the electronics, so the cold cranking amps is irrelevant. This battery should last a long time. I would hope it's an AGM battery and not lead acid. I don't want acid in my cabin. I wonder how small of a battery is actually needed for this application?

OP
OP
huunvubu

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmm, Correct me if I'm off here but the High Voltage battery drives the traction motors, there is no starter so this battery only powers the electronics, so the cold cranking amps is irrelevant.
Correct

This battery should last a long time.
It will last longer being in a protected internal climate controlled environment than being under the hood with extreme temperatures ranges.

I would hope it's an AGM battery and not lead acid. I don't want acid in my cabin.
It is an AGM battery and is also vented to the outside

I wonder how small of a battery is actually needed for this application?
Ford has probably right sized it as it does need to power a lot of electronic stuff.

Last edited:

MDRN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat First Edition Hybrid Rapid Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I'm reading the labels correctly, it's a 390A battery, with a 45 Min Reserve? - That's pretty small, about what Subaru puts in their Crosstrek, and smaller than the original battery in my Outback, which was way under sized....although those are flooded cells, with vents for each cell.

If I buy the hybrid when it arrives, which is likely, I'll pop in an Optima, Duracell, Odyssey or some other Gel/AGM battery the first winter, if the battery actually is only 390A, with a 45min reserve. - Just my $0.02 on the battery.

To answer the safety question, hydrogen is highly explosive....think the Hindenburg, it wasn't the shell that exploded, it was the hydrogen used for lighter than air flight. Sealed Gel and AGM batteries expel less than a standard flooded cell, so I'm betting that either a Gel or AGM battery, so use the same when replacing.
Not the Hindenburg... To compare that to the technologies today is like saying surgery is inhumane, look at how they just stuck a board in that guys mouth and said "bite down hard"

Come on, this is not apples for apples. Hydrogen is a freely available renewable source. Shocking how it hasn't made it mainstream yet. 🛢 equals 💰

RustyF150

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Grand Marquis, '69 Chevelle SS L-78 Conv.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could someone please explain why the battery having a vent matters?
Since the Hybrid's battery is contained within the passenger compartment I'm assuming the purpose is to vent any potentially hazardous gasses to the outside of the vehicle and not the inside. Hope this was helpful. BTW, I ordered my Oxford white XLT Hybrid with lux pkg, moon roof, tonneau & rear window Aug. 3rd and is scheduled for assembly the week of 1/31/22. They even provide me the VIN #. Good luck with yours.

Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not the Hindenburg... To compare that to the technologies today is like saying surgery is inhumane, look at how they just stuck a board in that guys mouth and said "bite down hard"

Come on, this is not apples for apples. Hydrogen is a freely available renewable source. Shocking how it hasn't made it mainstream yet. 🛢 equals 💰
Something like 90% of commercial hydrogen comes from natural gas by products during its extraction process. Renewable sourced hydrogen is so expensive and requires so much electricity to harvest in a commercially viable way, hardly anyone touches it. Does not help that hydrogen has 1/3 the energy density per gallon of gas. Or the fact that Hydrogen has to be stored at super cold temps at extremely high pressure.

Ammonia has a better chance as a clean fuel. While still not as practical as gas, its actually stable at room temp, has about 50% of gas energy density and can actually be sourced from sewer system off gassing if the infrastructure was setup for it. Whats more is gas engines can be converted to run on ammonia (although range would be cut in half if the gas tanks are not pressurized) and current fuel delivery systems (pipelines, gas stations) could also be fairly easily converted to ammonia.

Watchman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V12-XJS Jaguar, S10 LS Stepside
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I too have a vintage Jaguar XJS were the battery is in the trunk and it is vented. I always thought it was because the gasses were corrosive. If so, a battery under the seat would corrode anything metallic stored under the seat, yes?

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So if the HVB is good and just the 12v needs the jump start, would the ICE actually turn over to indicate a successful "jump" or would all the electronics just come on and the needle move to "Ready?"
I am guessing but expect the the jump point under the hood provides voltage to activate the relays to activate the hvb. I assume then that the 12v SOS could be detected at the battery to be low and the charge procedure should be initiated. I expect that if the jumper cables were placed on the battery terminals the actual SOS would be masked by the voltage of the cables and the charge procedure may not be initialized but possibly under hood jumping is just a safety factor to prevent any arc's within the cab

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Primarily it's that charging batteries release hydrogen. Hydrogen in an enclosed space can be a fire/explosion hazard. Or if the battery starts to seriously overcharge then you get sulfurous off-gassing which stinks.
correct answer to why the vent is need.

Sponsored

Wilbur

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Ford F100
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is the 12V battery in the hybrid a physically smaller unit?

In other words, do the dimensions (H, W, L) of the hybrid battery appear to be smaller than the sort of standard 12V I pick up at O'Reillys or Autozone when the battery in my 1967 Ford dies?

Or will a standard-physically-sized battery replace the OEM battery when the time comes to make a change? That is assuming that I can find a standard sized battery with a vent aperture.

GA Hot Pepper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach E, F-150 Lariat, Toyota 4 Runner
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe all vehicles with “Auto Stop/Start” use AGM batteries.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is the 12V battery in the hybrid a physically smaller unit?

In other words, do the dimensions (H, W, L) of the hybrid battery appear to be smaller than the sort of standard 12V I pick up at O'Reillys or Autozone when the battery in my 1967 Ford dies?

Or will a standard-physically-sized battery replace the OEM battery when the time comes to make a change? That is assuming that I can find a standard sized battery with a vent aperture.
Batteries come in all shapes and sizes. It's a Group H4 or 140R.
Sponsored