Sponsored

How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick?

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

ackables

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
California allows cargo to overhang a vehicle by 4 feet beyond the rear, 3 feet beyond the front and 4 inches beyond the side of the vehicle.

4' beyond the rear? Rear of vehicle or the end of the tailgate? My current truck has a 6' bed so I haven't had to think about this. If you use a hitch bed extender, like the one from Harbor freight, is it 4' overhang beyond the end of that?
I'm pretty sure it's 4 foot overhang if you don't put an orange flag on it. I think you can go to 10 feet back if you put a flag on the back of the kayak.

KGillies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid, Rav4 Prime
This is likely what I'll use. Add the kayak/canoe cradles on the hitch extender and a bar with cradles across the bed (or on top of the cab if that seems better), and it should work fine for even a sea kayak.
I picked up one of these directly from MaxxHaul in CA, with an anti-rattler for $80:
Slick unit, goes horizontal or vertical.

BTW I don't think a bolt on rack will work - the bedrail gap appears to about 1/2", too narrow for bolts or nuts.

Forget all those overhand #s, all you have to do is red flag the rear of anything you're carrying... which is a good idea regardless.

Sponsored

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I still think everyone really wants (even if they don't know it) is two crossbars. One on the bed and a matching one on the cab. It is not on the market yet.

The rails need to be low enough to tie off a load. The hard load to carry for the Maverick will be light 10 foot sections of pipe or trim. In my Subaru, I could carry them inside with the seat folded down. In the Maverick they will stick out the bed or through the rear window and have to somehow be strapped to the tailgate or go on a roof rack. Preferably one with more that 3 feet of spacing and a tube designed for carrying stock.

My 16 foot kayak in the picture is carried on the roof rack 100's of miles for trips, sometimes with one or two other boats. I would not feel safe with it centered over the rear tires a foot above the cab on a rack from HF like what I have seen so far for the Maverick

In case you are wondering the trailer is a $500 model bought from Lowes. I replaced the tongue with a longer one bought from the fab shop. It is has a rack to carry 4 16 foot boats and right now it has my hastily built rack so I can carry 10 foot sheets of drywall for my basement remodel. It works great but I don't think I would take it on the highway.

Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? IMG_20210905_162150

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I still think everyone really wants (even if they don't know it) is two crossbars. One on the bed and a matching one on the cab. It is not on the market yet.

The rails need to be low enough to tie off a load. The hard load to carry for the Maverick will be light 10 foot sections of pipe or trim. In my Subaru, I could carry them inside with the seat folded down. In the Maverick they will stick out the bed or through the rear window and have to somehow be strapped to the tailgate or go on a roof rack. Preferably one with more that 3 feet of spacing and a tube designed for carrying stock.
Same thing with my current Dodge Journey. It's hard not to look at another SUV, based on how easy it is to carry 8' 2x4's or 10' lengths of conduit/pipe inside. Like you mentioned, I'm waiting to see what Ford or the aftermarket comes up with for a single roof rack, to work in conjunction with an equal-height one back by the tailgate.

HRG

LadyMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm pretty sure it's 4 foot overhang if you don't put an orange flag on it. I think you can go to 10 feet back if you put a flag on the back of the kayak.

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord - Looking to switch to Maverick XL
Here’s the way I transport long pipes . Works great …

2D94816A-23F1-40C7-8F44-E5D08DF0662A.png
Looks like they are on the way go factory to build our trucks

Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would be tempted to build whatever rack I needed into the flex bed. Could strap the bottom boards down using the bed level tie downs and strap the kayak down using the upper tie downs. I would probably want foam to put under the kayaks to protect my roof, just in case.

That being said, the harbor freight need extender seems like the way to go for most, as long as it's not too long.

Last edited:

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think this way is the cheapest and easiest way to carry kayaks
F424EC7D-CBB2-4250-BD6C-2F9DDBE53128.jpeg
Its like the automotive version of that gag where someone has a long board over their shoulder and hits someone in the head with it every time they turn around.

huntsville_dave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there any sleek solution to carry long items with the maverick? I will rarely need this so ideally something that does not impact too much the mpg or removed quickly and of course keep the pickup looking good.
I see different ideas around but I never had a pickup so asking. I feel the roof is too short to just use foam blocks..
I also have the need to occasionally move snowblower but could not see any single accessory that could do both, i.e. be used to carry kayak/lumber and snowblower/lawnmower

1627649341253.png

1627649488761.png
1627649536802.png

1627649617556.png

1627652117294.png

1627652671573.png

1627653699911.png
1627653785765.png

1627650378963.png

PS: this is a website where I found some ideas and law requirements:
https://www.watersportswhiz.com/how-to-transport-a-kayak-in-a-truck/
The United States DOT (Department of Transportation)
The cargo can overhang the truck by 4 feet in the rear, 3 feet in the front, and 4 inches on the truck’s sides.
Some states have additional restrictions, while others have higher-than-average overhang limits – a few examples being:
  • Arizona – Allows a 6-foot rear overhang
  • Colorado – Allows a 10-foot rear overhang
  • Louisiana – Allows an 8-foot rear overhang
  • Oregon – Allows a 5-foot rear overhang
  • Pennsylvania – Allows a 6-foot rear overhang
  • Washington – Allows a 15-foot rear overhang
And some have no restrictions at all, like Michigan and Nebraska.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 1630931243553

I’ve built a set of adjustable racks for a utility trailer I built 20+ years ago. The top level will allow me to carry my 16’ touring boat as well.

The top boat is 12.5’ and the lower boat is 10’ wwIII boat.

All I need now is a Mav to haul it with. 🤣😊
Sponsored