Sponsored

How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick?

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Thanks for sharing that link for Harbor Freight, that's a great deal! California overhang can only be 4', my kayak is 10.5'
Does anyone know the full length of the bed with the tailgate down?
Just over 6ft so that's technically a no-go for you. though unless Poncho is on a tear I bet they are not going to get out the tape measure for 4 inches. Be safe, legal, and get an extended roof mount. I like eTrailer for such options, but it's a personal choice. in my area bicycles are the thing, talk to other kayakers and see what the like.
Sponsored

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I remember buying some trim boards...1 x 4's for around my garage door... I had to take 16 footers because the cutting machine at HD was broken..and I had a 2006 Ridgeline.....with roof racks So I stuck them in the bed with the gate closed..over the top and strapped them on the roof racks and strapped down the ends in the bed.
It rode fine until about 35 miles an hour and those trims board started floating up..(bowing up) so I had to keep the speed down below 35 thank gosh it was only 5 miles to home LOL

Okay for anything that is too long off the bed I would prefer one of those Hitch "T" brackets and have roof racks.. or some other temp mounting on the roof... to haul it...Temp because it would not be often that I would need it but if it was factory installed roofracks, I would be fine with that..
I will be buying a bed extender and the other one that goes up from the hitch...Both hitch mounted

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I think how much time the ford marketing people spoke about the "revolutionary" 1-liter bottle insert in the doors and that silly 3d printed accessories...:mad:
installation of racks and how flexible your truck can be would have helped more. By teh way I see racks available when ordering the truck not sure I understand their exact style...
They can't build one to accommodate everything possible, that's why they now have three sizes of trucks. Check out the Santa Cruz if the Maverick won't work. Oh wait, those Santa Cruz marketing people were too busy as well making everyday options that are handy.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
They can't build one to accommodate everything possible, that's why they now have three sizes of trucks. Check out the Santa Cruz if the Maverick won't work. Oh wait, those Santa Cruz marketing people were too busy as well making everyday options that are handy.
Like 160mph speedo's ? lol Tail gates that are as high as a std truck and sometimes higher?.....Top of Bed is almost as high as my Avalanche...Yea they need a lot of trinkets to keep the kiddies happy.. Except price...

Dman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Corolla,1990 Silverado,1949 GMC,1949 Harley
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yup, since max rear overhang in my state is 4 ft, I'm hoping to either buy or have fabricated something like this that extends far over the cab. Hoping I can figure out what will cause the least amount of highway speed noise from an empty rack... Rounded edges, etc?
Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? Screenshot_20210818-221952-343

Sponsored

801Mav

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf VW Alltrack

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I used to work for a kayak company and a 14' kayak very easy to carry on any rack. I carry 16' and 17' kayaks on my Honda Element factory racks and on a Hyundai Santa Fe factory racks (which suck). One strap on each bar and a strap to the front so they don't go askew, but they never would really - now that is on a flat bar - if you get kayak racks for the bars you don't even really need to tie down the front or back.

Two options I'd suggest -

Get the aftermarket adjustable ladder rack system - something like this ones would work well - https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...k-for-maverick-previewed-at-sema-garage.1336/

or

Get a Canopy and add roof racks to that and space them out like this -these show kayak racks as well.

Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 1629673085167

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Someone correct me if I'm wrong I thought Tim Bartz literal tape measure of bed down was more like 6' 4"

Edit 6' 7"
18:50 mark

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bed is 54" - sides are 20" high so with tailgate down it should be 74" right?

That would be 6'2" maybe 6'3" with the gap in the tailgate?

Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I appreciate all the solutions here but here is the honest easiest way and what I do with my 16 foot canoe.....a trailer.....the downside of the hybrids 2k is that I am going to be in the market for a new trailer.....an aluminum one......

LadyMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
ECOTRIC Pick Up Truck Bed Hitch Extender Extension Rack Canoe Boat Kayak Lumber w/Flag
A few reasons this is better than the Harbor Freight version:

1. The horizontal piece slopes up from the hitch. Less chance it will drag where a hill transitions to a flat road (e.g., steep driveway).
  2. The horizontal piece ("goal post") is actually three pieces, so it can be made narrow or wide.
  3. The horizontal piece can be flipped, so it raises the "goal post" up to truck roof level.
Thx for sharing, looks nice!

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Someone correct me if I'm wrong I thought Tim Bartz literal tape measure of bed down was more like 6' 4"

Edit 6' 7"
18:50 mark
Lets just say Fords published numbers and other numbers do not match. Until I get my hands on one, i (and I seem to be the only one) give priority to ford’s numbers.

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thx for sharing, looks nice!
This is likely what I'll use. Add the kayak/canoe cradles on the hitch extender and a bar with cradles across the bed (or on top of the cab if that seems better), and it should work fine for even a sea kayak.
Sponsored