How will FWD Maverick do in snow?

Tamper

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK Rubicon
This is what I'm wondering about too. I live in the Canadian prairies and have a highway commute every day. My route takes me through places that don't get plowed and are often drifted over. I'd for sure be throwing winter tires on it when needed, but I'm not sure how FWD would do on an icy highway or getting down some of the rural roads I take.

For city driving it'll be no problem at all though. A FWD with winter tires is usually great in the snow.

I really wish they'd have released the hybrid with AWD. I want that sweet fuel efficiency but I also really want AWD.

Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Hakka R3 SUV. Almost as good as studded.

zeketolliver

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Insight
I was looking at the Maverick today. If I went with the base model, plain Jane, how would it do in the snow being FWD? Live in Kentucky, so winters can be hit or miss. I looked at the AWD version, but that was getting me close to a SR Tacoma price. What are you all doing? Thanks.
I live in central Ohio and frequently travel to hilly southern Ohio. I have driven FWD vehicles my entire adult driving life and can attest that they do well in the snow if you. The toughest one to manage was my 2011 Honda Odyssey. That was my daily driver for about 5 years (bought it new), and it did pretty well, but the long, heavy back end could be a problem when managing turns at 4-way intersections in the snow.

The Maverick FWD is 3" shorter, and about 800lbs lighter than my Odyssey was, so there may not be as big of an issue with the Maverick, BUT I thought it might be worth noting my experience with a similarly sized FWD in this context.

NOTE: I never had an accident, or any close calls, but it did cause my heart to skip a few beats here and there.

ShelbySmith

First Name
Shelby
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura
I was wondering how FWD will be for light off road use? I wanted to get the XL but I live in Arkansas and was worried I might get stuck on some of these older dirt roads, especially this time of year with so much rain and washout. It would be a 6k difference to get AWD is it worth the difference?