TdotMav

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For the Canadian Mav owners only: when you turn your car on (during the day), are all of your lights on all the time even if your switch is not in auto: headlights, parking lights and tail lights? This is what is happening for me.
Sponsored

Crazyal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FE, Lariat, Lux, 4K, 2022 Ford Edge ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For the Canadian Mav owners only: when you turn your car on (during the day), are all of your lights on all the time even if your switch is not in auto: headlights, parking lights and tail lights? This is what is happening for me.
The law in Canada as of 2021

OP
OP
TdotMav

TdotMav

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got my Mav but can't seem to figure out how to turn off regular daytime lights. Even if the switch is set to off the lights are on all the time.
I have to ask, why would you want to turn off your daytime running lights?

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The law in Canada as of 2021
Yes, all MY2022 and later vehicles sold in Canada are required to have auto head and rear lights.

As of September 2021 the Canadian Vehicle Lighting Regulation will require that all new vehicles sold in Canada have one of the following:​
  • tail lights that come on automatically with daytime running lights

• headlights, tail lights, and side marker lights that turn on automatically in the dark

• a dashboard that stays dark to alert the driver to turn on the lights
This standard will apply to all new vehicles (cars, trucks, SUVs, 3-wheeled vehicles, motorcycles and heavy trucks)​
Automatic, always on, DRLs have been mandatory in Canada since December 1, 1989.

On XL and XLT on the Maverick the full headlights are the DRLs. On Lariat it has the fancy LED strip for that. Amber lights are considered running lights or parking lights, not DRLs.

MortyHooper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m so glad they made this law, we have way too much dark weather here during winter. Plus nobody using car share seems to understand that you need to turn on your lights, they just see bright dash lights and drive off into the night.

V-blue Mav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jeep Cherokee and 2006 F-150 2022 Maverick EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have to ask, why would you want to turn off your daytime running lights?
To increase the life of the bulb/LED perhaps? That's why I turned them off. 😁

Sponsored

V-blue Mav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jeep Cherokee and 2006 F-150 2022 Maverick EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Trying to milk another 2,000 hours out of a 10,000 hour bulb? Seems extreme.
It's been my experience that the stated hours of service for CFL and LEDs are way overstated. The ones I have had never lasted as long their claims. Hopefully I'm wrong concerning automotive LEDs, because I believe my Jeep Cherokee taillight assembly is LED as well. It's 9 years old, but only 75,000 miles on it.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's been my experience that the stated hours of service for CFL and LEDs are way overstated. The ones I have had never lasted as long their claims. Hopefully I'm wrong concerning automotive LEDs, because I believe my Jeep Cherokee taillight assembly is LED as well. It's 9 years old, but only 75,000 miles on it.
I must confess I pulled those numbers out of thin air, but it's no secret LEDs have a much longer usage life than incandescent. And, you're mostly correct about the claims being a bit exaggerated.

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ugh this thread makes my head hurt. Is there really any common sense or deduction left anymore?

DRL = day time running light. Nowhere does it state that a DRL has to be its OWN light, a headlight, an indicator, a design light. A DRL is a SOMETHING that comes on during the day. Break down the word. Daytime (not night). Running (when the vehicle is ON). Light (whatever light the manufacturer sets.)

XL/XLT = the DRL happens to be the low beams and indicator.

Lariat = the DRL happens to be its own design light, above the headlamp, which they call the DRL.

In Canada, it is NOT mandated to have a HEADLIGHT on as a part of the DRL, just a DRL on WITH tailights. My 2022 and 2023 motorcycles both have DRL with a taillamp. No low beams. My Mav has low beams and tail lights.

For me: I would love to have the yellow indicators as my DRL and remove the low beams, lots of visibility still and better look.

CZaugg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid, 2021 Toyota Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got my Mav but can't seem to figure out how to turn off regular daytime lights. Even if the switch is set to off the lights are on all the time.
You can turn the daytime running lights off by going to the settings. I'd suggest keeping that setting as is. You want to be seen! All you need is some "bozo" to crash into you because they can't see you. Not worth it.

Reactions: Dad

MortyHooper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
DRL have lead to a significant and statistically proven (easy to google studies) reduction in accidents. One accident even minor is not worth saving a few possible bucks on LED replacement down the road.
Sponsored