First Name
Stanton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This post is both a little knowledge and an upgrade or repair. Powerboost owners have reported that their hybrid fuel door lock pin has loosened and fallen out or has broken. Ford apparently doesn't have a replacement part for this pin. You need to buy a replacement door. MegaOhn Motorsports makes a replacement billet aluminum pin. It's pricey. Too pricey? Decide for yourself. The listing doesn't say it's for a Maverick, but rest assured the Maverick's pin is identical to the F150.

To remove and replace the pin you first need to remove the fuel filler cover. You can skin this cat different ways, but I removed the sticker inside the fuel filler door to expose the locking tab. With a screwdriver gently pry up on this tab slightly while pulling outwards on the cover. It should slide right off. Now you can see the backside of the pin and can see it takes a simple twist to push it out. Grasp the pin with pliers. Use just enough force. The pin is soft plastic. Push in on the pin while turning clockwise. Turn 90° and push the pin out the backside. Reverse this to put it all back together.

Upgrading the pin. The MegaOhm pin doesn't attach the same way as the OEM pin. It uses a T15 screw instead. Just be mindful to clock the pin correctly. The slot in the pin faces up.

When putting things back together decide if you want to replace the sticker or not. I did, but before doing so I cut slits into it from the back side so I could remove this cover again without removing the sticker (if need be...maybe you want you want to wrap the cover or stash some emergency cash behind it).

Ford Maverick HOW TO remove your fuel filler cover and replace your fuel door pin (Maverick & Hybrid) 20221110_130331

Ford Maverick HOW TO remove your fuel filler cover and replace your fuel door pin (Maverick & Hybrid) 20221110_130642

Ford Maverick HOW TO remove your fuel filler cover and replace your fuel door pin (Maverick & Hybrid) 20221110_130831-picsay

Ford Maverick HOW TO remove your fuel filler cover and replace your fuel door pin (Maverick & Hybrid) 20221110_131946-picsay

Ford Maverick HOW TO remove your fuel filler cover and replace your fuel door pin (Maverick & Hybrid) 20221110_132216-picsay

Ford Maverick HOW TO remove your fuel filler cover and replace your fuel door pin (Maverick & Hybrid) 20221110_133018

Ford Maverick HOW TO remove your fuel filler cover and replace your fuel door pin (Maverick & Hybrid) 20221110_133229-picsay~01
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice write up. Thanks for time.

Now for the question……why?

LtCasual

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice write up. Thanks for time.

Saw this on the item description:

" Numerous owners have snapped their plastic fuel door pins and had to buy a whole fuel door assembly to replace it since the pin doesn't have its own part number. "

Sponsored

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
Does this not apples to Ecoboosts?
If I'm not mistaken the apples in the Ecoboost are different than the apples in the hybrid. The apples in the hybrid are more "environmentally friendly".;)

OP
OP
oneinch

oneinch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stanton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does this not <apply> to Ecoboosts?
No, I don't believe so. This is Hybrids only. Hybrids have a sealed fuel door. I don't believe non hybrids have the sealed fuel door and locking pin. I'm like 99.9% sure of this, but this still leaves room for error.

Why? Why swap in LED bulbs? Why change wheels? Why change the antenna? Why why why.

Why did I? Just because I can mostly. I like having what I perceive as something better and/or more reliable. When my Powerboost arrives I'll be making this change on it too.

Last edited:

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Seems my question may have offended you.

If so, I apologize. However, it was a sincere question. I had no idea what the issue was with the door.

So based on your response to me it appears you have made my definition of a ‘bear or troll that lurks in the shadows.’ So, as I press the ignore feature here to you I say good day.

TexasHybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Mustang GT- Silver, '15 Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Slight tangent ...

Per MegaOhm description ...

...but it also opens you up to potential fuel theft if left broken ...
Been my experience lately that my newer vehicles cannot siphon fuel due to a check valve (ball) that keep a hose from entering the tank. I know this as could not siphon for my small engines.

OP
OP
oneinch

oneinch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stanton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm
Seems my question may have offended you.

If so, I apologize. However, it was a sincere question. I had no idea what the issue was with the door.

So based on your response to me it appears you have made my definition of a ‘bear or troll that lurks in the shadows.’ So, as I press the ignore feature here to you I say good day.
Okay. I deleted part of my response. The answer to your question is in the first paragraph of my post. In a nut shell, I replaced it before it broke and I replaced it with something I feel is better.

It's not the end of the world if it does break, but it will be an annoying world if it does.

Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That sticker might as well be in a combination of Lakota, Celtic, and Klingon.
:ROFLMAO: Sticker seems perfectly logical to me.

What confuses me is that people actually need a sticker to tell them how to put fuel into a fuel tank in 2022. Then I stopped, and watched some videos on Youtube of people messing up fueling their vehicle, and I begin to understand the need. Trouble is people that dumb likely won't look at the sticker.

tarpkir

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From the pictures, it looks like the plastic lock pin is simple to remove by rotating 90 degrees clockwise. (without having to remove the gas door itself) My solution would be (this assumes I will ever receive the hybrid I've had on order for over a year now) to scan the lock pin and have a few copies 3-D printed. When it breaks, use one of the copies. Be sure to have enough copies on hand; maybe a spare in the glove box.

Regarding stealing gas, I believe the check valve is defeated by a funnel, represented in the hieroglyphic sticker. Insert the funnel to push the check valve out of the way. Pass your siphoning hose through the funnel. Haven't personally tried this, but when gas prices hit $5 again, someone will.

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
:ROFLMAO: Sticker seems perfectly logical to me.

What confuses me is that people actually need a sticker to tell them how to put fuel into a fuel tank in 2022. Then I stopped, and watched some videos on Youtube of people messing up fueling their vehicle, and I begin to understand the need. Trouble is people that dumb likely won't look at the sticker.
I leave you with this—
https://12tomatoes.com/toaster-steak-tiktok/

APD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Order submitted
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This post is both a little knowledge and an upgrade or repair. Powerboost owners have reported that their hybrid fuel door lock pin has loosened and fallen out or has broken. Ford apparently doesn't have a replacement part for this pin. You need to buy a replacement door. MegaOhn Motorsports makes a replacement billet aluminum pin. It's pricey. Too pricey? Decide for yourself. The listing doesn't say it's for a Maverick, but rest assured the Maverick's pin is identical to the F150.

Upgrading the pin. The MegaOhm pin doesn't attach the same way as the OEM pin. It uses a T15 screw instead. Just be mindful to clock the pin correctly. The slot in the pin faces up.

When putting things back together decide if you want to replace the sticker or not. I did, but before doing so I cut slits into it from the back side so I could remove this cover again without removing the sticker (if need be...maybe you want you want to wrap the cover or stash some emergency cash behind it).

20221110_131946-picsay.jpg
From this photo it looks as though its the hole in the door that is broken, not the pin. Left side of the hole looks cracked/irregular. Is that the problem or is it just the pin or both?

If someone wants to send me one I will create a 3d model and start 3D printing them
Sponsored

Last edited: