Sponsored

How to remove scratches from the plastic trims around the bed?(Update:With instruction how to replace the trim - See end of page5)

jc888888888

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat eco boost, Mustang Mach E , Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
heat guns are used by detailers to revive plastic trim there is oil in the plastic and it rises to the surface, it works but you really need to know what your doing ... too much heat problem

OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am still a little bit hesitant to start the removal process. I think once I start, there will be a point of no return and I am afraid that I will be stuck and be forced to use some force which might cause damage to the body. Are there any body shop expert who can provide some guidance?

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

MrHomeGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry to hear. I was taught years ago, always load from the back, even if you have to climb up to the bed. It not only saves the rails, it saves your side paint from accidental scratches or jacket zippers scratching the paint. You can use a black furniture wax crayon to fill in the scotch and rub it out so its even with the rail. It may wear off over time but it's the least intrusive

OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just wanted to check again and revive this thread. Has anyone removed/replaced the plastic trims around the bed yet? I have the replacement part but am really hesitant to try to remove the part. Based on what I see, it is almost impossible to remove without causing some damage on the truck. Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Milous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Alto Blu, LUX, Sunroof, delivered 3/18/22
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just wanted to check again and revive this thread. Has anyone removed/replaced the plastic trims around the bed yet? I have the replacement part but am really hesitant to try to remove the part. Based on what I see, it is almost impossible to remove without causing some damage on the truck. Any advice would be highly appreciated!
"Using a non-marring trim tool, carefully detach the retainers along the length of the moulding and remove the moulding".

Ford Maverick How to remove scratches from the plastic trims around the bed?(Update:With instruction how to replace the trim - See end of page5) Maverick_Bed_Mouldin

OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Using a non-marring trim tool, carefully detach the retainers along the length of the moulding and remove the moulding".

Maverick_Bed_Moulding.jpg
Thank you so much! I am a little afraid of the retainers which are hidden but I guess I will have just to try it. Worst case I will brake them and hopefully wont do much damage to the body of the truck.

OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have it sprayed with the spray in bed liner spray .You would have to do both sides.
The guy who sprayed my bed told me this is not going to last long on plastic trims.

Sponsored

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you so much! I am a little afraid of the retainers which are hidden but I guess I will have just to try it. Worst case I will brake them and hopefully wont do much damage to the body of the truck.
This is what I would use to remove the plastic trim on the bed if you don’t want scratches

Ford Maverick How to remove scratches from the plastic trims around the bed?(Update:With instruction how to replace the trim - See end of page5) 925AAF99-7E25-4565-8292-4E8F20F8B48D

OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is what I would use to remove the plastic trim on the bed if you don’t want scratches

925AAF99-7E25-4565-8292-4E8F20F8B48D.png
Thank you, I have a similar set with few more tools in there. I have just to make the time and go for it. I have had the part for several month now but have been procrastinating to do it. All I have to do is to remove the bed cover and flex that thing :)

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you are nervous about it, as I would be, have an auto body shop replace it. They have all the tools and do this stuff all the time as just about every vehicle nowadays is loaded with these plastic parts. Might cost you an hour's labour but what the hell, nothing too good for the Mav, right? :)

OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you are nervous about it, as I would be, have an auto body shop replace it. They have all the tools and do this stuff all the time as just about every vehicle nowadays is loaded with these plastic parts. Might cost you an hour's labour but what the hell, nothing too good for the Mav, right? :)
If this would have been something essential and damage one might see, I would definitely go to a bodyshop. But here, even when you damage anything on the body, it will be covered back with the replacement trim, so I guess I will just try it. The issue is not the money, is more the time and hassle going to a bodyshop and ask them doing something where they don't make much money with.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think I might try a coating of PlastiDip spray before opting to swap on brand new covers. If you consider the exisiting covers to need replacement it won't hurt to experiment? Can you actually find those replacements in stock anywhere and for a fair price?
Sponsored