Sponsored

How to remove scratches from the plastic trims around the bed?(Update:With instruction how to replace the trim - See end of page5)

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is what I am hoping for. I also asked the parts guy about the clips and he told me everything is included, so lets wait and see. This Video is the closest thing I could find about it but need to look at the replacement part to see how to push the clips on the other side to take it off.

FYI: The MSRP is around 108 plus tax and they sell it to me for 80 plus tax. It is the passenger side bed rail plastic trim. I will share the part number once I receive it.
Watched the video - Almost all trim pieces are like that. The root of the problem to install is all plastic parts are made to press and clip into place and hold tight....not made to be pulled out, as a result very easy to break plastic clips/tabs...which does not matter since yours is coming off anyway, but you don't want to bend the "thin" sheet metal holes on the underneath rails. Harbor Freight sells a cheap little clip tool but may not work for all clips/tabs... I'd guess that if you get your damaged plastic piece off you will or will not have the confidence if you can or cannot install the new one...Please don't tell us if you break the new one...HAHA.

Not all of us can be plumbers or carpenters. One thing bad about a new vehicle release is the Ford shop people want know how to do this until someone else had the same scratch. Bedliner is not a bad idea...cheap plastic rails are eventually going to get banged by everyone that uses a truck like a truck.

Last edited:

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD; 20 Escape SEL 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Not sure how it would stick to that texture plastic, but this might be worth a shot to save it in the future:

I was thinking of something like that for the interior front door panels. Before feet kick/rub the lower front corner while getting out.

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buy the new piece. You will see where the tabs are. Maybe the parts department can show you a diagram where the tab slots are.

OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Watched the video - Almost all trim pieces are like that. The root of the problem to install is all plastic parts are made to press and clip into place and hold tight....not made to be pulled out, as a result very easy to break plastic clips/tabs...which does not matter since yours is coming off anyway, but you don't want to bend the "thin" sheet metal holes on the underneath rails. Harbor Freight sells a cheap little clip tool but may not work for all clips/tabs... I'd guess that if you get your damaged plastic piece off you will or will not have the confidence if you can or cannot install the new one...Please don't tell us if you break the new one...HAHA.

Not all of us can be plumbers or carpenters. One thing bad about a new vehicle release is the Ford shop people want know how to do this until someone else had the same scratch. Bedliner is not a bad idea...cheap plastic rails are eventually going to get banged by everyone that uses a truck like a truck.
Not all of us can be plumbers or carpenters but if you are a car guy and have a little bit of experience, you can do certain things on your cars. I am not a mechanic but have changed drive belts, brake pads/discs, spark plugs/coil packs, all sort of filters, trims around the windows and more on my cars. And one of them was a mid engine porsche where everything is super tight and difficult to access. I am not saying this is going to be easy but I am hopeful when I have the replacement part I will get a clue how to remove the old part and install the new part. I have all sort of trim removal tools which should make things easier. Again, retrospectively I wish I would have left it alone, but now it looks so nasty that I have to go for it. So or so, we will see......

Sponsored

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Again, retrospectively I wish I would have left it alone, but now it looks so nasty that I have to go for it. So or so, we will see......
Once you get the new one it will be easy to see how and where the fasteners are located - just take your time. Love your idea of using that as a test subject for repairs - 80.00 aint too bad, Ive screwed up way worse in the past LOL

T McG

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The heat gun was too tempting not to try but these parts are apparently not made to be treated with it. If this would have been a proper solution, we would have found at least one decent youtube video about it. There is nothing. I was super careful but it still didn't work out. That is life. I think from all the "bad things" this is one of the least painful things we will have to deal with. I do it with pleasure and document everything.
I would try 0000# steel wool…

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Perhaps get both sides professionally bed lined? A bed liner shop will know how to remove the bed caps too. This will prevent further issues down the line and would hide the current bed rail issues.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not all of us can be plumbers or carpenters but if you are a car guy and have a little bit of experience, you can do certain things on your cars. I am not a mechanic but have changed drive belts, brake pads/discs, spark plugs/coil packs, all sort of filters, trims around the windows and more on my cars. And one of them was a mid engine porsche where everything is super tight and difficult to access. I am not saying this is going to be easy but I am hopeful when I have the replacement part I will get a clue how to remove the old part and install the new part. I have all sort of trim removal tools which should make things easier. Again, retrospectively I wish I would have left it alone, but now it looks so nasty that I have to go for it. So or so, we will see......
Wishing you the best of luck....hoping for successful pictures...since it will probably happen to me, eventually.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So fellas, I just received the part and will install it sometime this weekend. Two things: My Dealership kind of ripped me of. They told me that the list price is 108 bucks and that they sell it to me with a big discount for 80. Now that I have the part number (NZ6Z6029038A) I looked it up and the 80 something dollars are the MSRP and most places give you 20-30% rebate..... So for the future, I will just call one of the online shops which don't charge tax and charge little for shipment and order it from them. Anyway, lesson learned for this portion of the game.
Now to our actual part: I took a picture and as you can see, it seems that it is going to be pretty painful. I was hopping that the tabs on the backside are easier to unlock but they are exactly the same on both sides. I am afraid I will need to break the tabs in the back where I can't access them from underneath. If someone has any tips, please let me know.
Stay tuned, I will report once the job is done.

Ford Maverick How to remove scratches from the plastic trims around the bed?(Update:With instruction how to replace the trim - See end of page5) IMG_8679

Ford Maverick How to remove scratches from the plastic trims around the bed?(Update:With instruction how to replace the trim - See end of page5) IMG_8681

Horizon62

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So fellas, I just received the part and will install it sometime this weekend. Two things: My Dealership kind of ripped me of. They told me that the list price is 108 bucks and that they sell it to me with a big discount for 80. Now that I have the part number (NZ6Z6029038A) I looked it up and the 80 something dollars are the MSRP and most places give you 20-30% rebate..... So for the future, I will just call one of the online shops which don't charge tax and charge little for shipment and order it from them. Anyway, lesson learned for this portion of the game.
Now to our actual part: I took a picture and as you can see, it seems that it is going to be pretty painful. I was hopping that the tabs on the backside are easier to unlock but they are exactly the same on both sides. I am afraid I will need to break the tabs in the back where I can't access them from underneath. If someone has any tips, please let me know.
Stay tuned, I will report once the job is done.

IMG_8679.jpg

IMG_8681.jpg
I would still try to color match the plastic before pulling it off. What I remember, you had a discoloration to the rest of the panel. The panels were designed to take the blunt of an object instead of the paint. Any automotive paint store can match the good side of the panel and put it in an aerosol container for a few bucks. Just saying. Good luck with your project!

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

[QUOTE="
TO me this is like folks who get a big lifted 4x4 and then never EVER take it off road because "scratches"
[/QUOTE]
Yeah those are called mall crawlers LOL

aspect

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Lux FX4 2.0 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good to know that the trim pieces are pretty cheap to replace.

The fact that people are worried about scratching the edges of their bed, which are unpainted plastic so they still look ok when they get scratched, kinda makes me wonder why people buy trucks in the first place. I guess everybody is different...

Mavman123

First Name
Joe Shmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Maverick XLT
Thank you, I really appreciate it! I am super OCD with my cars and this makes it not easier to deal with it... I just hope I can replace the part without destroying anything. I looked into it and it looks like it is pretty similar to what the guy is doing in the Video. I was hoping someone here would have some experience with it but since the truck is so new, I honestly doubt it. I guess when I receive the replacement part I will get a clue how to remove the actual part.
I haven't read through all 3 pages so excuse me if this has been said already. They make spray in bedliner material in aerosol cans. You may grab a can or 2 and tape off the bodywork and spray the liner over the plastic. I've heard of people doing this. May look good, may look awful I'm not sure. But if you're replacing the plastic anyways give it a shot
Sponsored