Sponsored

How to protect against Catalytic Converter theft until aftermarket catches up?

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Catalytic converter theft has been on the rise throughout most of the US at least, and I know some people who have had theirs stolen rendering the car pretty much undrivable. The silver lining for them is they own vehicles known to be targeted for these attacks like Prius and Honda Element, and so the aftermarket has come up with vehicle-specific solutions like CatSecurity.

Unfortunately, I think the Maverick will be an excellent target for cat thieves due to being a Hybrid with strict fuel economy standards, being relatively high off the ground (the worst part, and the death knell of the Element), and being fairly recent. With the parts shortage, I imagine it could be even more difficult to replace. My personal situation is I park in a garage at night, but on the street when I work.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this theft until the aftermarket comes up with solutions?
Sponsored

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s been pretty bad around DFW. Seen a lot of reports of people having the auto shop weld a “cage” around the converter. These a-holes are looking for a quick score, same as the tailgate thefts. The cage just stops them as it’ll be harder than a 2 cuts of a reciprocator saw.

Ford Maverick How to protect against Catalytic Converter theft until aftermarket catches up? 1631760574995

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fully loaded Maverick Lariat, Harley Fat Bob
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hopefully my FX4 Package skidplates cover it up, although I am not really worried about it anyway.

OP
OP
mav_can

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s tucked close to the engine right up against the firewall under the hood. It’s part of the exhaust manifold on the hybrid.

Answer here
Oh I wasn’t aware that was even a potential location. Very sad that other manufacturers have kept it in the same place after all these years.

Sponsored

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s tucked close to the engine right up against the firewall under the hood. It’s part of the exhaust manifold on the hybrid.

Answer here
Good! I just hope the a-holes that eventually crawl under my Mav don’t get mad and F it up because it’s not there.

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the course of some good old barber shop talk, one of fellow patrons told me cops called him at his shop and said they were holding one of his u-hauls cuz they pulled over the driver and discovered the cargo area completely filled with catalytic converters. One of the barbers had his stolen recently.

The maverick will fit in my garage but I also recall reading that higher trims come with perimeter alert. I'm not sure if that will help though.

Edit: There's a mention of an inclination sensor in the owners manual but I don't see it included in any level trim or offered as an option. It detects any attempt to raise your vehicle up.

Last edited:

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We live in Wisconsin and my friend drove to see his mother in Minnesota and got his catalytic converter stolen. Found a mom and pop shop in Minnesota that put a new one on for $700 or it would have been a very noisy drive home.

Ford Maverick How to protect against Catalytic Converter theft until aftermarket catches up? Screenshot_20210915-221808

Alberta Boy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red First Edition Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

A co-worker here in Edmonton got his taken last Friday in the parking lot of his place.​
Sponsored